{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lorient score Fred sponsored by POSTPONED

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lorient score Fred sponsored by POSTPONED

Postby The One » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:23 am

Cleveland_Stag wrote:County and Chesterfield both look like they’ll be on today for their home games. Not a great look for us if we’re the only game off in the country today. Perhaps Mansfield had worse weather than every other place in the UK though. I guess we maybe wanted it off with our injury situation more than we wanted to really try and get the game on.

Saw pictures of embankment Nottm yesterday afternoon. Not one flake of snow
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:24 am

YellaFella 75 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:County and Chesterfield both look like they’ll be on today for their home games. Not a great look for us if we’re the only game off in the country today. Perhaps Mansfield had worse weather than every other place in the UK though. I guess we maybe wanted it off with our injury situation more than we wanted to really try and get the game on.

So what, it suites us.

It doesn't suit me, I want to go to the football today just like everyone else in the football league and watch my team on Saturday afternoon in front of a potential sold out home end. The rearranged game will obviously be on a Tuesday so I more than likely will be away working and will miss it, only game off in whole country is very annoying.

My heart bleeds for you! I don't care what you have missed the big game today! The club and players come first before you!
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:30 am

Bradders wrote:
stag324 wrote:I’m 1/2 mile away and we still have snow.

I’ve taken the dog out this morning and the paths are like ice rinks.

Safety of fans first and pitch condition second

Some people are lacking a brain cell or three

OK, I live five miles from the ground and there's no snow here so I got a false impression.

I was supposed to be in Sheffield yesterday and it was called off because of heavy snow. Even the buses were cancelled. I don't think that Mansfield was hit harder than Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster, Chesterfield, Wrexham or other areas that were snowed on. And their matches weren't called off yesterday, even though they were under a deep layer of snow. They are still not called off. Only ours.

Remember that the pitch inspection was an inspection of the pitch. If the club felt that the car park and surrounding areas hadn't thawed out enough in yesterday's warm sunshine, then I'd fully understand an evening announcement that the area was likely to be too unsafe to contemplate running the fixture. And like other clubs in the area, would have asked for volunteers to help yesterday in an effort to get it safe.

But they didn't, they said that the pitch failed the inspection yesterday at 10, which can only mean that it was either frozen or too deeply buried to be dug out. It wasn't a crowd safety issue. The ref inspecting the pitch was only there to check whether it was currently safe to play on, and would be likely to be OK at match time. He could have declared the pitch playable, but that wouldn't force the club to stage the match if they didn't think that they could guarantee crowd safety.

It looks like we didn't want to go ahead with this one.

I can't comment on the centre of Mansfield any more than you can as I also live 5 miles away, but my lawn is still white over, as is the park over the back, and also the road on the close where I live.

It appears that a lot of people, even our own fans, are suggesting we have called it off as it suits our injury situation. Surely we have used a qualified referee for the inspection and his decision was that it wouldn't be playable today ? If he thought it may be playable he would have requested a further inspection today.

Why does everything these days have to be a conspiracy ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:45 am

Maybe the inspection was done too early.

Maybe the ref should have done another one this lunch time.

Maybe the game went ahead and the pitch wasn't fully thawed and one of the players sustained a broken leg.

The garden and pavements around us are very icy. I suspect so is the grass below the Ian Greaves stand.

All if's and maybes !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:49 am

Mansfield town looking after Mansfield town no problem with that, as some say it might not be a good look but I’m sure that a good look would be in a months time is pushing for third with injured players back in the squad. Would take that all day long
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:51 am

And if the ref had called for another inspection today, when would the Orient team have travelled up? Not to mention their supporters.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:57 am

It’s off, time to move on. Here’s hoping the results today go in our favour but, after that, let’s focus on Northampton.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:08 pm

Ralphy wrote:Mansfield town looking after Mansfield town no problem with that, as some say it might not be a good look but I’m sure that a good look would be in a months time is pushing for third with injured players back in the squad. Would take that all day long

Indeed, the postponement is very good for us given the number of players we have out but close to coming back. No harm players like Quinn having a few extra days too. Let's hope today's scores go in our favour when we all sit down to watch Final Score :oops:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:16 pm

Looking at the bbc weather map mansfield is colder than most of the surrounding areas ,it just happens to suit us,if it was frozen overnight its hardly going to thaw very quickly ,anyway its my birthday and im off for a few beers in the near 30 degrees sunshine happy days
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:30 pm

Costastag wrote:Looking at the bbc weather map mansfield is colder than most of the surrounding areas ,it just happens to suit us,if it was frozen overnight its hardly going to thaw very quickly ,anyway its my birthday and im off for a few beers in the near 30 degrees sunshine happy days
Happy birthday. I hope the beers arn't too warm. :)
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:41 pm

The other consideration is that Orient May already be promoted by the time the rearranged fixture is played.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby YellaFella 75 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:51 pm

Most people are suggesting this might be a good thing but how do we know that when the game is played we will have less injuries? We might be in very poor form and wished we had played it today, also Orient might need to win this game to secure the title rather than having it all wrapped up as some have suggested. Hope this doesn't backfire on us.
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:56 pm

YellaFella 75 wrote:
oldweststander wrote:

So what, it suites us.

It doesn't suit me, I want to go to the football today just like everyone else in the football league and watch my team on Saturday afternoon in front of a potential sold out home end. The rearranged game will obviously be on a Tuesday so I more than likely will be away working and will miss it, only game off in whole country is very annoying.

Life is sometimes tough.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:56 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:And if the ref had called for another inspection today, when would the Orient team have travelled up? Not to mention their supporters.

This was one of the reasons why an early decision was made, because Orient were travelling up yesterday.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:01 pm

YellaFella 75 wrote:Most people are suggesting this might be a good thing but how do we know that when the game is played we will have less injuries? We might be in very poor form and wished we had played it today, also Orient might need to win this game to secure the title rather than having it all wrapped up as some have suggested. Hope this doesn't backfire on us.

To have more injuries than we have now, surely the odds on that are quite slim, 10 currently with another 3 absent from the training video.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:05 pm

Bradders wrote:

Remember that the pitch inspection was an inspection of the pitch. If the club felt that the car park and surrounding areas hadn't thawed out enough in yesterday's warm sunshine, then I'd fully understand an evening announcement that the area was likely to be too unsafe to contemplate running the fixture. And like other clubs in the area, would have asked for volunteers to help yesterday in an effort to get it safe.

But they didn't, they said that the pitch failed the inspection yesterday at 10, which can only mean that it was either frozen or too deeply buried to be dug out. It wasn't a crowd safety issue. The ref inspecting the pitch was only there to check whether it was currently safe to play on, and would be likely to be OK at match time. He could have declared the pitch playable, but that wouldn't force the club to stage the match if they didn't think that they could guarantee crowd safety.

It wasn’t solely down to a pitch inspection. The pitch could’ve been fine but the surrounding areas were unsafe hence the decision being made. The official line was that and because Orient were setting off yesterday lunchtime. The unofficial line is because we’ve got loads of injuries and this postponement suits us perfectly.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:18 pm

Rob wrote:Anyway, time to watch football focus soon :oops:

At least we don't have to get into all that, deciding whether to do BBC interviews and so on!
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Mansfield 103. still think the games on for raspberry sake :lol:
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 pm

Dan wrote:
Bradders wrote:

It wasn’t solely down to a pitch inspection. The pitch could’ve been fine but the surrounding areas were unsafe hence the decision being made. The official line was that and because Orient were setting off yesterday lunchtime. The unofficial line is because we’ve got loads of injuries and this postponement suits us perfectly.

I don't really buy that the decision was about the surrounding area. The club stated that it was "following a pitch inspection".

It was too far in advance to say what the status would be the next day, and Sheffield (for example) was much worse for snow yet the Blades fixture was never in doubt because of their pitch heating. Hallam University was closed, it was that bad at 10am. Never a word about the streets near the ground being a problem.

And if Orient wanted to set off a day early, that's their problem. They could have had a lovely night in Mansfield anyway.

I'm not really that bothered about the match being off, even though I'd been particularly looking forward to us playing Orient when they're looking a bit jaded. It's just that I was baffled by the peculiar way they went about the postponement, leaving us standing out as the only ground in all 7 top divisions of the English league unable to stage a match today.

I think that your unofficial line is the truth, although I'm not sure why Orient went along with it.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:01 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:Looking at the bbc weather map mansfield is colder than most of the surrounding areas ,it just happens to suit us,if it was frozen overnight its hardly going to thaw very quickly ,anyway its my birthday and im off for a few beers in the near 30 degrees sunshine happy days
Happy birthday. I hope the beers arn't too warm. :)

Warm beer so british :lol: :lol: cheers
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:25 pm

Only game off today. I reckon we played for this.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:33 pm

Pleased we did.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:51 pm

We could have played today, ground is OK. Club didn't want it played. End of.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:58 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:We could have played today, ground is OK. Club didn't want it played. End of.

End. Of.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:59 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:We could have played today, ground is OK. Club didn't want it played. End of.

And?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum