{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bradford score Fred sponsored by back to back wins?

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bradford score Fred sponsored by back to back wins?

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:11 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I don’t think the the two strikers made any difference in terms of shape, after all we played with two strikers in the first half as well. We just played a lot better in the second half as we had more mobile players in key areas.

Maris as usual was excellent and should always play when fit, as should Swan. Ollie Clarke was a frustrating watch yesterday.

The shape was different because both played as central strikers, both Akins and Oates drifted wide more, especially Oates and Akins was quite deep at times, both also came back for set pieces whereas we left DJ up front most of the time. I think our emphasis changed at half time with that switch, it was a good change from Clough. Agree about Clarke, not his best game but he's probably a bit rusty.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:17 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:We are still going to struggle without good LB LWB cover for Macca, JB9 or Wallace are ok for top half finish however yet again we fall short for quality cover to sustain a top 7!finish

it’s so bloomin frustrating to see Cloughie

the additions look quality just what we needed however why sell us short on numbers, for this time of the season to not bring quality in to compete with Macca is well….daft imo

I think that as soon as Harbottle is fit, we will see either Perch or Hewitt playing there.

but the same applies Sandy, no quality LB/LWB to compete with Macca & if anything drops Hewitt instead of Perch for a back three they want their bumps feeling
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:35 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:We are still going to struggle without good LB LWB cover for Macca, JB9 or Wallace are ok for top half finish however yet again we fall short for quality cover to sustain a top 7!finish

it’s so bloomin frustrating to see Cloughie

the additions look quality just what we needed however why sell us short on numbers, for this time of the season to not bring quality in to compete with Macca is well….daft imo

I think that as soon as Harbottle is fit, we will see either Perch or Hewitt playing there.

but the same applies Sandy, no quality LB/LWB to compete with Macca & if anything drops Hewitt instead of Perch for a back three they want their bumps feeling

I can see that Yorkie but Harbottle is perfectly capable of playing on the right of a three even if not as good as Hewitt. That leaves Hewitt and Perch for the left berth and either are capable of playing left full back. Hewitt would be better at half back and could still get forward. Obviously if Macca was fit the problem wouldn’t arise but in his absence I feel it’s a better option than Bowery or Wallace playing there. Even with Macca fit, I would put Hewitt on the left of the three with Harbottle on the right as I think it gives better balance with Perch missing out. I see it as not being who is best in which position but which is the best formation for the team.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:53 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Cook does not like us at all does he? Reaction was rather OTT.
I hope someone splats his nose all over his face again next week. :D

Saw that on the highlights. He’s still a fatty I see.

Good job he's not lean then, he'd score 40 a season...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:39 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:

He’s every right imo. We didn’t utilise his strengths at all.

But is that the fans fault?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm

BH_Stag wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
wayno cordiniho wrote:Bowery ended up left midfield second half, appreciate he was out of position but would have liked to see him take their full back on more

Yes you're correct. edited my post to say LWB.

We might see him there a lot more now we are without Macca for another 3 weeks at least.

He’s good cutting inside but when it comes to going round the outside of his man the ball gets pinched everytime.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:42 pm

Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I suspect he was reacting to the fans singing ‘Andy Cook’s a w****r’

I think Flinders should have done better with the header but in fairness he made at least two saves that he had no right to make.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:47 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:As predicted, Wallace is a disaster at LWB. He can’t move quick enough. Bowery wasn’t much better but is at least mobile. I do feel sorry for him though as he’s often left isolated on the ball, Swan and DJ we’re not offering much in terms of link up.

Agreed. His lack of mobility makes him a non entity at wing back. He’s neither willing or able to barely cross the half way line. When he plays at wing back, he plays like a conservative left back which just destroys the functionality of the formation.

I thought Akins and Bowery did a decent job at wing back considering they’re both strikers. Akins was particularly tidy on the ball out wide and like you say, at least Bowery is willing and able to get up and down the wing, even if his crossing often let’s him down. If we’re to play with wing backs next weekend and Macca can’t start, I’d opt to go with Bowery (or Akins) at LWB over Wallace. You just can’t have one of your wing backs never getting into the other teams final third of the pitch.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:54 pm

young vanish wrote:Did Johnson celebrate the late goal with AK & team mates?

looking at the highlights he was only interested in tying his laces up after alf bagged... not the actions of team player imo.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think Flinders should have done better with the header but in fairness he made at least two saves that he had no right to make.

I agree…Flinders should be saving that. Poor.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:28 pm

Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

I think it was a reaction to abuse on the day. If you dish it you must expect it back from the player too imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:18 pm

Players interacting with fans my goodness we cant have that can we ,i love it when it happens personally
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:57 pm

I'm reading back on the thread and I can't see anyone mentioning that I think the ball went out of play just before the corner that led to Bradford's goal. Their player took it wide past Hewitt and the ball just crept over the touchline. Linesman was the other end of the pitch though. Did anyone else spot this?
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:09 pm

Tre Cool wrote:I'm reading back on the thread and I can't see anyone mentioning that I think the ball went out of play just before the corner that led to Bradford's goal. Their player took it wide past Hewitt and the ball just crept over the touchline. Linesman was the other end of the pitch though. Did anyone else spot this?

I remember it, and it was right in front of me, but it looked like it was one of those that could have gone either way - it was definitely overhanging the line but unfortunately the linesman was the only one with the best angle of it.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:06 pm

I was not far from the ball over the line incident just before the corner. Marginal I’d say.

Re Flinders saving the header - I’m not convinced he could have saved it. Cook was given too much space to direct the header, that’s more of an issue imo
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:I'm reading back on the thread and I can't see anyone mentioning that I think the ball went out of play just before the corner that led to Bradford's goal. Their player took it wide past Hewitt and the ball just crept over the touchline. Linesman was the other end of the pitch though. Did anyone else spot this?

I remember it, and it was right in front of me, but it looked like it was one of those that could have gone either way - it was definitely overhanging the line but unfortunately the linesman was the only one with the best angle of it.

We were behind the goal but on the far right hand side so were looking almost down the line, it looked out of play to us but very close.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 pm

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:

We were behind the goal but on the far right hand side so were looking almost down the line, it looked out of play to us but very close.

I've watched it back. The TV camera angle isn't perfect of course, but I would say it didn't go out of play.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:46 pm

We need to burn the pale blue away kit. I think we've only won one game playing in it.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to burn the pale blue away kit. I think we've only won one game playing in it.

Ypu maybe right Darren. According to John we got relegated last time we had that as an away kit :o
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:56 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We need to burn the pale blue away kit. I think we've only won one game playing in it.

Agree
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:41 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Everyone’s been raving that we have sorted the defence throughout January - personally I just can’t agree with it. The stats on here have shown that our best 11 was never the problem, it was always the back up and today we are calling on them again. They need to step up today.

I still think we need another two centre halfs and a back up left back but I thought that at the start of this season and last season :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:48 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Spiritater wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

Fans never learn do they. It’s always the case when you abuse a former player that they come back and bite you on your arse.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum