{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kellan Gordon sold to Crawley

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kellan Gordon sold to Crawley

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:47 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:Some very harsh comments on here. He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. I for one think he will be a miss.

Complete agreement.

Seems people expect a league 2 winger to ping in perfect crosses every single time. Also take on 5 players nutnegging each one twice. From full back.

Not at all, far from it in fact.

I've witnessed the likes of Andy Burgess, Levi Porter, Craig Dobson, Ashley Cain etc etc - who we signed as actual wingers and they were all abysmal and that was to be expected.

Kellan Gordon was deployed as a right back, so therefore his priority job first and foremost should have been as a defender at this level. We aren't Man City or Liverpool dominating possession so we can employ our full backs constantly forwards.

Gordon is quite possibly one of the worst "defenders" I have seen for quite some time. Not his fault as I don't think he has a clue how to do that job, he'd be better employed as a winger with far less defensive responsibility.

I am still having nightmares about Sheffield Wednesday away, Walsall away, and Barrow recently at home - where Gordon was either torn to shreds, constantly out of position, or ball watching and at fault for several goals.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:06 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I don’t think there was anyone who was more critical of our defensive set up than I was.

I am very happy with the situation now and feel that we have plenty of cover, particularly if we revert to a back four. C. Johnson at right back, Kilgour, Hewitt and Macca will be one of the best in the League especially when you put Reed or Maris in front of them. That also gives you Perch and Harbottle as cover for injury/suspension.

If it’s a back 5 it’s the same four but with Harbottle in at right centre back and Kilgour moving into the middle. You still have Perch and O’Toole as cover with Page expected to sign as an add on. The difference is that we have replaced lethargic centre backs with players who can keep up and a very good right back/wing back. And that’s without even considering Akins, Bowery and Wallace in defensive mode.

A very good window and a team that is very capable of a top 7 finish but also a good chance of top 3. Well done to everyone involved, I am very happy with the changes made.

That has saved me a lot of time adding to this thread. I agree word for word
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:12 am

You can see why Crawley went for Kellen.

His stats for chances created is nearly best in league.

Crawley’s new owners are into stats in a big way

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/leagu ... y4yNy4wLjA.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2022/08/leagu ... y4yNy4wLjA
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Suttonian » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:31 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:Some very harsh comments on here. He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. I for one think he will be a miss.

Complete agreement.

Seems people expect a league 2 winger to ping in perfect crosses every single time. Also take on 5 players nutnegging each one twice. From full back.

Not everyone can be like Hayden White :D
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 am

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:That we haven’t replaced him is mental.

We replaced him BEFORE we sold him. Or does CJ not count?

Here we go. We are short on numbers. Pointless engaging with someone wkp bends themselves in two to push back on any comment of the management if he sees it as anything other than cult like adoration.

You: Can't believe it's Thursday already.

Me: But belly, it's only Wednesday.

You: Here we go again, you can't accept any criticism of Clough, implied or other.

Me: Eh?

Welcome back belly, I forgot how you get when someone you don't like points out you made a mistake.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:43 am

Oh my. Rob has been very correct in his comment that we are short. We are no less short. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s a valid opinion.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:51 am

bellwhiff wrote:Oh my. Rob has been very correct in his comment that we are short. We are no less short. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s a valid opinion.

Whilst you are technically correct Belly, I feel things have changed for the better. Before we were not only short on numbers but also in quality. We may not be better off numbers wise but we’ve made leaps and bounds in terms of quality at the back.

The quality in our first choice is now (in my opinion) that of a top 3 side as opposed to upper mid table. The quality has filtered down and our back ups are sufficient to make do and mend on a short term basis. For the first time since last Easter I feel confident that our team is capable of promotion and possibly through this automatics.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:02 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Oh my. Rob has been very correct in his comment that we are short. We are no less short. I know that’s not what you want to hear but it’s a valid opinion.

Whilst you are technically correct Belly, I feel things have changed for the better. Before we were not only short on numbers but also in quality. We may not be better off numbers wise but we’ve made leaps and bounds in terms of quality at the back.

The quality in our first choice is now (in my opinion) that of a top 3 side as opposed to upper mid table. The quality has filtered down and our back ups are sufficient to make do and mend on a short term basis. For the first time since last Easter I feel confident that our team is capable of promotion and possibly through this automatics.

I agree. I’ve said as such. We are in a better place than we were. I just think we are short. We got caught out in Sep and Oct. I hope it doesn’t happen again

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:10 pm

A good transfer for the player and the Stags, we move on stronger , and like all players leaving the club we wish them well
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:21 pm

All the best too the lad, he wasn't getting game time here and it must be pretty demoralising when a forward player is preferred in your position rather than you.

Didn't really get a chance under Clough.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:24 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I agree. I’ve said as such. We are in a better place than we were. I just think we are short. We got caught out in Sep and Oct. I hope it doesn’t happen again

this is weird i agree with Gripper :shock:

numbers wise, i still think we are short !

a left sided defender at least, however quality wise we have improved that’s not a problem

i wish Kellan good luck & hope for his sake they play him as a winger
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:27 pm

Good luck & thanks to Kellan for his time at the Stags
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:14 pm

It is a valid opinion and one I don't disagree with. I'd have loved to have seen us sign one more.

That's not what you said though. You said it was mad that we hadn't replaced KG.

We sold a right back/ RWB.

We signed a right back / RWB.

We replaced him before he left. Which is ALL I said.

None of this nonsense about criticism of Clough and none of this nonsense about not what I want to hear.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:27 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

Here we go. We are short on numbers. Pointless engaging with someone wkp bends themselves in two to push back on any comment of the management if he sees it as anything other than cult like adoration.

Please can users stick to discussing players/managers/teams etc and not posting about other users.

The first two posts are about players, the third is then a post about a user.

This is one example but there are others.

I've asked about this many times before. Thank you.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby St Hilary Stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:56 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: Mr Gordon !
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:57 pm

part time pete wrote:You can see why Crawley went for Kellen.

The stats might surprise a few, but they match what I've seen. Gordon is among the best in the league at creating chances and providing assists. If you regard him as a winger, you should be very happy to have him in the squad.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm

50/50 on Gordon. He’s not that bad, but he never seems that good either. Definitely an average league two kind of player!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:32 pm

Bradders wrote:
part time pete wrote:You can see why Crawley went for Kellen.

The stats might surprise a few, but they match what I've seen. Gordon is among the best in the league at creating chances and providing assists. If you regard him as a winger, you should be very happy to have him in the squad.

He’s a complete liability at the back though, no good for RB.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:55 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

Please can users stick to discussing players/managers/teams etc and not posting about other users.

Eh? So if you disagree with the position of a poster then you can’t challenge them on it ? Come on Martin. That’s just overbearing and draconian.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:01 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

Eh? So if you disagree with the position of a poster then you can’t challenge them on it ? Come on Martin. That’s just overbearing and draconian.

The message should be clear. Post about a topic, not about another user. If you disagree with a point, discuss the point, don't post about the user.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:02 pm

Haha. Fair enough. Chortle.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:12 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Complete agreement.

I don't expect that at all. He never really improved since we signed him in my opinion. Still wish him all the best but we need better like C Johnson if we want to push on.

To be fair he was competing with Corey O'Keeffe and was on the bench. He got his chance under Clough but he played a back 4 and he struggles as an out and out right back.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:55 pm

I wish him well. However, I never felt confident when he played.

Maybe Crawley will play him in a different position and get the best out of him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:36 pm

Gordon has been at the club for about three years, had a long layoff with a ack injury but is no better a player now than he was three years ago.

Good luck to the lad, hope he does well at Crawley.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:39 pm

oldweststander wrote:Gordon has been at the club for about three years, had a long layoff with a ack injury but is no better a player now than he was three years ago.

Good luck to the lad, hope he does well at Crawley.

Yes I agree with that, I thought he had lots of potential but hasn't kicked on. The move is good for both parties and whilst I don't like Crawley, I do wish him personally very well.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum