{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kellan Gordon sold to Crawley

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kellan Gordon sold to Crawley

Postby yorkstag » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:11 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Hmmm surprised we’ve not signed another defender today. We’re lacking both quality and depth at the back and it will be the reason we don’t go up this season.

don't forget Lewis Page

True. We can’t have any faith in him to play well and stay fit however. He’s a really, really lucky person if we offer him a contract to the end of the season put it that way :lol:

Why?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:15 pm

yorkstag wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:
yorkstag wrote:Great piece of business in my view. Good luck Kellan

It won’t be great business if we pick up 2 injuries or suspensions in defence :lol:

How much cover would you like … I think most would agree getting Kellan a club with 18 months to go is good business particularly for a fee.

At times good going forward but a defensive liability

Our best back 5 is Johnson, Hewitt, Kilgour, Harbottle & Macca. That is better than it was at the start of the window so I am pleased with that, but beyond that we are still in the same position of Perch & JJ being the only cover currently. Both past their best and generally speaking when they’ve been called upon they have been the weak spot and the results haven’t been as good. Personally don’t think adding one more in defence would have been barmy.

Fingers crossed our main lads stay fit. Perch looked better against Doncaster too so need that to continue
Last edited by BH_Stag on Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:15 pm

Tomwh wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:Hmmm surprised we’ve not signed another defender today. We’re lacking both quality and depth at the back and it will be the reason we don’t go up this season.

don't forget Lewis Page

What's the latest with him, is he under any sort of contract?

no, not at the moment. But he can sign after the window closes.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:18 pm

yorkstag wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

don't forget Lewis Page

True. We can’t have any faith in him to play well and stay fit however. He’s a really, really lucky person if we offer him a contract to the end of the season put it that way :lol:

Why?

Oh I don’t know, maybe because he played a whopping 45 minutes before getting injured during his time with us. After joining us with a history of injuries, he didn’t exactly prove to us that he’s going to stay fit, did he.

I wonder if there’s any half-decent free agent defenders out there that aren’t riddled by injuries? We really do need the depth.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:25 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFC Man » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 pm

Tomwh wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:

don't forget Lewis Page

What's the latest with him, is he under any sort of contract?

No, currently injured but Clough mentioned resigning him if necessary when he is fit.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:29 pm

i still think we are a defender short
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:44 pm

I think we will be ok ..’a pretty decent transfer window for us ….we have enough players imo
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby stagmanrob » Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:43 am

We've had Crawley's pants down getting a fee for him..... in the same vein as Ilkeston did all those years ago getting £15k from us for Istead.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:50 am

All the best Kellan ,best of luck.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:33 am

Some very harsh comments on here. He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. I for one think he will be a miss.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag on the Beach » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:32 am

My lad came to the Boxing Day game with me. We both thought KG was the best player in amber that day, especially going forward. I agree with Dan.
I reckon Cloughie thinks Anderson can make the step up. He's a defender, isn't he?
Stag on the Beach
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:17 am

That we haven’t replaced him is mental.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:56 am

bellwhiff wrote:That we haven’t replaced him is mental.

We replaced him BEFORE we sold him. Or does CJ not count?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:57 am

Dan wrote:Some very harsh comments on here. He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. I for one think he will be a miss.

Complete agreement.

Seems people expect a league 2 winger to ping in perfect crosses every single time. Also take on 5 players nutnegging each one twice. From full back.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:02 am

broomo wrote:

Here we go. We are short on numbers. Pointless engaging with someone wkp bends themselves in two to push back on any comment of the management if he sees it as anything other than cult like adoration.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:03 am

bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

Here we go. We are short on numbers. Pointless engaging with someone wkp bends themselves in two to push back on any comment of the management if he sees it as anything other than cult like adoration.

He’s right though. He was already replaced and it looks like we upgraded
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:06 am

Stag95 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

I think most people saw that we needed more options. One for one does not increase that. I’m in agreement that we’ve traded up considerably.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:12 am

bellwhiff wrote:
Stag95 wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
broomo wrote:

I think most people saw that we needed more options. One for one does not increase that. I’m in agreement that we’ve traded up considerably.

Agree belly.

Very much and upgrade but still light.

Assuming page gets fit then I think we'll be OK with Hewitt being able to move to rwb.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:13 am

We've swapped like for like and gained a striker.

Until the new lads have settled in properly and played games can we see if we've upgraded. Early signs are CJ and Kilgour are (considering they've replaced a winger and a forward out of their natural positions, its not that difficult to be an improvement).
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:19 am

It's been a fab window as far as I am concerned

On the caveat we get page and DJ actually puts a shift in for rest of the season
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:50 am

I don’t think there was anyone who was more critical of our defensive set up than I was.

I am very happy with the situation now and feel that we have plenty of cover, particularly if we revert to a back four. C. Johnson at right back, Kilgour, Hewitt and Macca will be one of the best in the League especially when you put Reed or Maris in front of them. That also gives you Perch and Harbottle as cover for injury/suspension.

If it’s a back 5 it’s the same four but with Harbottle in at right centre back and Kilgour moving into the middle. You still have Perch and O’Toole as cover with Page expected to sign as an add on. The difference is that we have replaced lethargic centre backs with players who can keep up and a very good right back/wing back. And that’s without even considering Akins, Bowery and Wallace in defensive mode.

A very good window and a team that is very capable of a top 7 finish but also a good chance of top 3. Well done to everyone involved, I am very happy with the changes made.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:03 am

We have exactly the same cover now in defence as we did before the window to be fair.

Our record with Hewitt, Harbottle, and Hawkins playing together was very strong and the stats show that. The issues came when the cover was called upon.

I’d say we have improved the starting back line so providing they stay fit we are laughing, but the cover is still no different, so will we run in to the same problems? Time will tell.

I think we’d be better served moving to a 4 at some point. We have brilliant options in midfield and up top, so makes sense to utilise that and give us that bit more flex at the back.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:21 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Dan wrote:Some very harsh comments on here. He was nowhere near as bad as people make out. I for one think he will be a miss.

Complete agreement.

Seems people expect a league 2 winger to ping in perfect crosses every single time. Also take on 5 players nutnegging each one twice. From full back.

I don't expect that at all. He never really improved since we signed him in my opinion. Still wish him all the best but we need better like C Johnson if we want to push on.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:37 am

I liked Kellan a lot, he was a nice lad and typical of a League Two footballer: he had things he was good at and things that he was not so good at - if he was good at everything then we'd have been selling him to a higher level, not the same. Good luck to him, he'll certainly be getting a warm welcome from me whenever he plays us.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum