{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Akins. Sod it

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:28 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:29 pm

Burton's best player in their history, one of the top goalscorers... Why is he so dog turd for us?
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:30 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Burton's best player in their history, one of the top goalscorers... Why is he so dog turd for us?

The march of time.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:41 pm

Sneag wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:Burton's best player in their history, one of the top goalscorers... Why is he so dog turd for us?

The march of time.

Was at Burton 12 months ago. Bloke is younger than me. I'm of a footballers age and relatively fit. (No can't do 90minutes in league 2) Maybe Burton played to his strengths, which Clough should know, but somehow Mansfield make him look bang average. Just like Johnson, Daryl Clare, George Pilkington, Matt Tipton, Matty Blair et all. Mansfield, making good players Shiße!
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:54 pm

Tre Cool wrote:
Sneag wrote:

The march of time.

Was at Burton 12 months ago. Bloke is younger than me. I'm of a footballers age and relatively fit. (No can't do 90minutes in league 2) Maybe Burton played to his strengths, which Clough should know, but somehow Mansfield make him look bang average. Just like Johnson, Daryl Clare, George Pilkington, Matt Tipton, Matty Blair et all. Mansfield, making good players Shiße!

I thought Matty Blair was decent for us, was just annoying he was just about to return from his injury and pissed off to Donny.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:33 pm

Akins is like Bambi on ice
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:33 pm

Eastern Green Stag wrote:Akins is like Bambi on ice

Ok Barry Fry ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:37 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Tre Cool wrote:
Sneag wrote:

The march of time.

I thought Matty Blair was decent for us, was just annoying he was just about to return from his injury and pissed off to Donny.

He certainly had his moments. The run he made and the ball in to set up Reggie Lambe for the 5th vs County was phenomenal
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:42 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I also think Akins gets more stick than he deserves. Ok he struggles to initially control the ball but overall is no worse than many of the others. He is more awkward than unskilled and his style is not pretty to watch but he generally holds the play up adequately.

I would have started Hewitt but would also start Akins ahead of Gordon who is too lightweight against physical teams like Sutton.

You do not condemn Akins for being poor as that is your opinion but in the same post refer to him as "struggles to control a ball", "awkward" and "generally adequate" is this really the type of player we need to be giving a long contract in the twilight of his career???
I for one say no it isn't.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:55 pm

The conversation around Akins always seems to be ‘he wasn’t the worst player on the pitch today’ or ‘why are you singling him out of a poor performance’. Probably fair comments at times.

The issue for me is, how often in his time here has he put in a performance that was anything more than average? Probably two or three times max?

For a player we seemingly chased through three transfer windows, it’s hard to see so far what the fuss was about.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:56 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I also think Akins gets more stick than he deserves. Ok he struggles to initially control the ball but overall is no worse than many of the others. He is more awkward than unskilled and his style is not pretty to watch but he generally holds the play up adequately.

I would have started Hewitt but would also start Akins ahead of Gordon who is too lightweight against physical teams like Sutton.

You do not condemn Akins for being poor as that is your opinion but in the same post refer to him as "struggles to control a ball", "awkward" and "generally adequate" is this really the type of player we need to be giving a long contract in the twilight of his career???

Isn’t that the standard for an average league 2 player? It’s not a case of should we sign that type of player as he is already here and has a contract so your question and position are irrelevant. Nigel Clough thinks he should be here so that’s all that matters.

Now if you had asked if I think he is good enough to regularly play in a promotion winning side then my answer would be no I don’t. He is not that poor to be in danger of relegating a team and as I said is adequate. He is certainly not the devil incarnate as some would have us believe and I stand by my assessment that he is getting more stick than he actually deserves.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:06 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Isn’t that the standard for an average league 2 player? It’s not a case of should we sign that type of player as he is already here and has a contract so your question and position are irrelevant. Nigel Clough thinks he should be here so that’s all that matters.

Now if you had asked if I think he is good enough to regularly play in a promotion winning side then my answer would be no I don’t. He is not that poor to be in danger of relegating a team and as I said is adequate. He is certainly not the devil incarnate as some would have us believe and I stand by my assessment that he is getting more stick than he actually deserves.

Word your answer any way you wish but you know exactly what I was saying.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby James » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:24 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The conversation around Akins always seems to be ‘he wasn’t the worst player on the pitch today’ or ‘why are you singling him out of a poor performance’. Probably fair comments at times.

The issue for me is, how often in his time here has he put in a performance that was anything more than average? Probably two or three times max?

For a player we seemingly chased through three transfer windows, it’s hard to see so far what the fuss was about.

I’m far from one to slag Akins off, but does anyone actually know his best position for us? I include Clough in that, bearing in mind he said he was one of our main strikers in pre season, but started him at wing back yesterday when we had other players who could play there…
James
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:27 pm

James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The conversation around Akins always seems to be ‘he wasn’t the worst player on the pitch today’ or ‘why are you singling him out of a poor performance’. Probably fair comments at times.

I’m far from one to slag Akins off, but does anyone actually know his best position for us? I include Clough in that, bearing in mind he said he was one of our main strikers in pre season, but started him at wing back yesterday when we had other players who could play there…

It’s one of wing back, right wing or striker, but I couldn’t tell you which. He’s played all of them for us and I’m still none the wiser.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:28 pm

James wrote:

Maybe even Cloughs realized that he can't hit a barn door.
If he manages to get it under control to have a shot that is...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:33 pm

i wonder what his average score is playing for us, hard to see it being better than 5.5 at best.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:53 pm

desperately want it to work for Akins, but it just doesn't seem to be happening.

Seems like Clough is trying to play him into form, just waiting for one that piece of magic to happen but it just isn't happening. a strange signing we are not yet seeing the benefits of.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:30 pm

Should have started on the bench at best, yesterday. The way Clough is treating certain players, will lead to more unrest further down the line.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby James » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

It’s one of wing back, right wing or striker, but I couldn’t tell you which. He’s played all of them for us and I’m still none the wiser.

I don’t blame Clough for buying him, he obviously trusts him and that’s what a lot of managers do when they go somewhere, especially somewhere where expectation is fairly high. The problem is with Akins, is that we already had a player like him in Bowery who will do a job in a few different positions and in reality, Akins has showed nothing to suggest he’s any better than him.

I think he can do a job up front, and thought he did okay against Salford & Tranmere up there. But he should never be on the right hand side. A team chasing promotion needs a lot more quality out there.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:11 am

James wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
James wrote:

I don’t blame Clough for buying him, he obviously trusts him and that’s what a lot of managers do when they go somewhere, especially somewhere where expectation is fairly high. The problem is with Akins, is that we already had a player like him in Bowery who will do a job in a few different positions and in reality, Akins has showed nothing to suggest he’s any better than him.

I think he can do a job up front, and thought he did okay against Salford & Tranmere up there. But he should never be on the right hand side. A team chasing promotion needs a lot more quality out there.

Please tell me in what way you feel he can do a job up front?
His control is poor, and that's being kind.
His passing is negative in the fact that he somehow manages to break up more attacks than he is involved in creating or aiding.
Finally his goal threat is absolutely zero.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Realitycheck82 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:29 am

He's one of our best payed players....if not the best payed! I wouldn't put him in my sunday league team!
Realitycheck82
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby diablo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:30 am

Realitycheck82 wrote:He's one of our best payed players....if not the best payed! I wouldn't put him in my sunday league team!

You couldn't afford him :lol:
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Akins coming from Burton has upset a few gaining promotion from league 2 he has done it.
Blimey gaining promotion from league 1 he has done it.
Playing Championship football he has done it.
He has nothing to prove , he has been there and done it, Clough knows what a players he is and if some people are annoyed because he looks gangly and awkward.
He is part of a squad that has been sucsessful at Mansfield and improved our league standing, and by many experts have a very good squad.
A smooth silky player he is not, just a hard working guy giving 100%
He came injured, he has not replaced any one just joined the squad, and this season had a groin problem, which can be hard to shale off.
Most of the time he is helping defence, 90 % of the time he gets the ball while marked,
The latest meltdown Sutton he had no part in their first goal, he was not on the pitch for their second goal.
And he did not play at Leyton Orient.
If he plays or not he will get my support he is after all a Mansfield Town player
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:28 pm

bear 73 wrote:Akins coming from Burton has upset a few gaining promotion from league 2 he has done it.
Blimey gaining promotion from league 1 he has done it.
Playing Championship football he has done it.
He has nothing to prove , he has been there and done it, Clough knows what a players he is and if some people are annoyed because he looks gangly and awkward.
He is part of a squad that has been sucsessful at Mansfield and improved our league standing, and by many experts have a very good squad.
A smooth silky player he is not, just a hard working guy giving 100%
He came injured, he has not replaced any one just joined the squad, and this season had a groin problem, which can be hard to shale off.
Most of the time he is helping defence, 90 % of the time he gets the ball while marked,
The latest meltdown Sutton he had no part in their first goal, he was not on the pitch for their second goal.
And he did not play at Leyton Orient.
If he plays or not he will get my support he is after all a Mansfield Town player

At Mansfield Town he has DONE NOTHING, what he did at Burton is totally irrelevant.
He is rightly judged on what he produces now, as a Stags player.
Stop living in the past, you, he and Cloughie are no longer at Burton years ago in the glory days.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:42 pm

Living in the past well Wembley was last year, and yes Akins only made a cameo apperance their so not to blame for the loss, AGAIN.
This is not a constuctive opinion but a witch hunt of one of our players,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum