{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lucas

Postby bellwhiff » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:33 pm

yorkstag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:He should be praised when he’s good and called out when he isn’t. I’m very glad that he’s put in a great performance yesterday. To dismiss those who have criticised him is not fair though. At Sutton and Crawley he couldn’t trap a bag of cement so let’s not make out he’s played like De Bruyne since he came. I really hope he continues in the current vein of form

The criticism is overdone and constant whining and criticism doesn’t help anyone. I don’t think he’s played well at times but booing your own players is out of order. Just my opinion

And you’re right. He shouldn’t be booed.

To be fair to him, a large portion of blame lies with Clough for playing him out of position. I know that’s going to send the “Clough not Stags” posters into a frenzy but that’s what I think.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:35 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I thought Wallace was really good too yesterday, he’s a more than capable cover for Macca at left back

Good enough defensively but he’s terrible going forward. When we rely so heavily on our full backs for width, I think we need someone better on the ball.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:11 pm

Let’s be honest Macca hasn’t been as good as last season has he and Wallace did well yesterday wouldn’t have a problem with him filling in
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkstag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:He should be praised when he’s good and called out when he isn’t. I’m very glad that he’s put in a great performance yesterday. To dismiss those who have criticised him is not fair though. At Sutton and Crawley he couldn’t trap a bag of cement so let’s not make out he’s played like De Bruyne since he came. I really hope he continues in the current vein of form

The criticism is overdone and constant whining and criticism doesn’t help anyone. I don’t think he’s played well at times but booing your own players is out of order. Just my opinion

And you’re right. He shouldn’t be booed.

To be fair to him, a large portion of blame lies with Clough for playing him out of position. I know that’s going to send the “Clough not Stags” posters into a frenzy but that’s what I think.

Apart from "blaming" anyone, I agree.

I wish we'd play him in a settled position.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:34 pm

Stag95 wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I thought Wallace was really good too yesterday, he’s a more than capable cover for Macca at left back

Good enough defensively but he’s terrible going forward. When we rely so heavily on our full backs for width, I think we need someone better on the ball.

Some of his passing and link up play was very good yesterday. I'm not sure what you saw to think he wasn't very good on the ball.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:39 pm

The issue with Wallace at wing back is his mobility.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

He did ok in duels but could’ve given away a pen in the first half (I thought it was) and was caught out of position numerous times. He did produce a very good last ditch tackle as well.

I'd be worried about him covering Macca for a long period of time. He got drawn into the centre giving Donny loads of space on their right wing, which better teams would capitalise on.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:20 pm

Think Wallace and Akins seem to have suffered the most from being played out of position constantly. Wallace was immense a couple weeks ago, and did well yesterday but was clearly unsure positionally, and lacking pace.

Akins similar, his short stint at RWB against Everton was not good, and all his better games have been up top. He can't have played many games in a row up there, maybe 2 or 3?
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:46 pm

Tomwh wrote:Think Wallace and Akins seem to have suffered the most from being played out of position constantly. Wallace was immense a couple weeks ago, and did well yesterday but was clearly unsure positionally, and lacking pace.

Akins similar, his short stint at RWB against Everton was not good, and all his better games have been up top. He can't have played many games in a row up there, maybe 2 or 3?

Nine in a row as a striker earlier this season in the league, from Donny away to Newport at home.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:52 pm

That must include games where he either came on as a sub or where he switched position. He's mostly played on the right this season with Swan or Oates (and Hawkins a couple of times) as the striker.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:57 pm

Rob wrote:That must include games where he either came on as a sub or where he switched position. He's mostly played on the right this season with Swan or Oates (and Hawkins a couple of times) as the striker.

Just checked and no all bar one he started those games as striker. He played at wing back against Crawley. So seven games in a row, one game at wing back, then striker for another game.

This was the prolonged spell where he played up front with Lapslie.

League Starts : 17

Striker - 12
Right wing back - 4
Left wing back - 1
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:42 am

He played up front with Bowery for an 8 game streak when oates got injured last season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:13 am

Sounds like a lot of people felt that he was man of the match on Saturday. Martin put him on the shortlist for the award, but just pipped by Kilgour.

I'm sure that it's not his first nomination, but I wonder if he's ever won it when not playing as a striker?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:43 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:That must include games where he either came on as a sub or where he switched position. He's mostly played on the right this season with Swan or Oates (and Hawkins a couple of times) as the striker.

Just checked and no all bar one he started those games as striker. He played at wing back against Crawley. So seven games in a row, one game at wing back, then striker for another game.

Striker - 12
Right wing back - 4
Left wing back - 1

I would argue against those numbers based on watching the games rather than what the "stats" say, he's clearly played more than 4 times on the right, even if not for the whole game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 am

Bradders wrote:Sounds like a lot of people felt that he was man of the match on Saturday. Martin put him on the shortlist for the award, but just pipped by Kilgour.

I'm sure that it's not his first nomination, but I wonder if he's ever won it when not playing as a striker?

Martin said for the Hartlepool away game

Akins 7.5 Good game at right wing back then right back. One good on target shot that was blocked, and teed up Clarke for a shot.

Not far behind Oates and Lapslie for MOM
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby pemill » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:33 pm

I'm really hoping Lucas can kick on and put in some more decent performances, I had hoped that after his goal at Gillingham.

I still don't think he had the greatest first half on Saturday, seemed well off the pace & 2 glaring poor passes which otherwise would have had Oatesy in on goal.
Very pleased for him that he had a better second half, super goal and brilliant through ball for Swanny.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:47 pm

One thing I've noticed when Akins is "up top".... he draws the defenders to him. There's often 2 or 3 around him which creates the space for the midfielders to break through. Often unnoticed I suspect, but his presence alone creates us opportunities.

It's been unfortunate that he hasn't shown his full pedigree in every game, but when he does, you can see why Clough respects him.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:28 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Striker - 12
Right wing back - 4
Left wing back - 1

I would argue against those numbers based on watching the games rather than what the "stats" say, he's clearly played more than 4 times on the right, even if not for the whole game.

That wasn’t from the stats, it was from Martin’s reports. I’ve not chartered every position change, just where they played the majority of the match.

I presume you’re taking about as a right winger rather than as a right wing back or full back? The only times I personally recall him playing on the right wing this season were against City in the PJ and against Sheff Wed.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:33 pm

He clearly brings strength and good hold up play when on form, but for me his first touch and ball control in general has been poor so far. The second half on Saturday was better of course.

Surprised by those stats Musings, had a look through some of the reports as well, definitely feels like he's been out of position more than that but can't argue with the numbers.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Striker - 12
Right wing back - 4
Left wing back - 1

That wasn’t from the stats, it was from Martin’s reports. I’ve not chartered every position change, just where they played the majority of the match.

I presume you’re taking about as a right winger rather than as a right wing back or full back? The only times I personally recall him playing on the right wing this season were against City in the PJ and against Sheff Wed.

No mate I mean on the right, which includes RB, RWB and RW. Your figures say he's only done that 4 times, which I think is wrong.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:36 pm

Seventeen pages on Lucas wow, well done i say another man of the match performance.
And to have so many accolades from Managers, players and journalists over a long career you deserve it.
A players player giving 100% a managers dream,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:30 pm

Gotcha Rob, thought you purely meant as the right of a front three. I’ve gone through all the reports and picked out any position changes noted :

League Starts :
RWB - Salford, ST on 61mins,
ST - Tranmere
RWB - Sutton , subbed 74 mins
ST - Doncaster to Walsall (7 games total all starting as a striker and playing there for the whole game (apart from at Crewe when he was subbed on 71 mins), until Walsall when he moved to LW 62mins, and LWB on 89 mins.
LWB - Crawley, RB on 45mins
ST - Newport, RWB on 54 mins
ST - Rochdale
ST - Harrogate, RW on 45 mins
RWB - Stevenage
RWB - Hartlepool, RB on 45 mins, subbed on 88 mins
ST - Doncaster

League Sub Apps
LB - Swindon on at 78 mins
RWB - Bradford on at 45 mins
ST - Colchester on at 91 mins

Cup Apps
RW - City U21s subbed 68 mins
ST - Derby on as a sub 46 mins
ST - Barrow
RW - Sheff Wed
RB - Everton U21s on as a sub 46 mins, RWB on 88 mins

In total I make it roughly 60% of minutes played were as a striker. I think I’m right in saying that we’re unbeaten in all comps when Akins has played the whole game as a striker, W7 D2.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:57 pm

You give Darren a run for his money :lol: Thanks and you were right, just feels like he's played much more on the right for some reason.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:56 pm

Couldn't fault Akins and his hold up play yesterday, considering defenders man handled him constantly and we were never getting anything from that referee.

I've been one of his biggest critics but that's two decent performances on the spin from him now.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:06 pm

stagmanrob wrote:Couldn't fault Akins and his hold up play yesterday, considering defenders man handled him constantly and we were never getting anything from that referee.

I've been one of his biggest critics but that's two decent performances on the spin from him now.

Couldn't agree more, and I too have been one of his biggest critics.
I really do hope that this time he really has turned a corner and show's he can play well consistently.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum