{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donkey scorefred sponsored by PART TIME PETE

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donkey scorefred sponsored by PART TIME PETE

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:09 pm

We are up to 7th in the table (joint 5th on points but we have a weak goal difference).
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:35 pm

Great result that.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:36 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:We’ll lose this now. We’ve not got the character to see this out.

:lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:38 pm

Cracking result....much better performance and nice to see goals going in

Akins was good.....nice to see him upfront
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:40 pm

Get in! Really important win.

3 points was a must considering previous recent form and the fixtures coming up. Plenty of good performers today, it’s been a while since there was more than 1 contender for man of the match! Really pleased for Akins today and thought Reed was excellent. Flinders should keep his place next week too. That save in the second half was superb.

Let’s hope that can kick start the season now!

Not totally based on todays performance but still think 1 or 2 more incomings would be beneficial. An attacking mid and another in defence would be my targets for the next few days.

Finally, can we play Donny every week? 10 goals in 3 games against them. Easy pickings
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rigsby » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:42 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:We’ll lose this now. We’ve not got the character to see this out.

There were a few negative comments today to be fair. Maybe we're not as easy a touch as some think.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:43 pm

A very encouraging display to get back on track. Looked much more solid at the back despite Donny missing a few although they looked offside to me for the one on ones.

Congratulations to both Lucas Akins and James Perch who both had good games and made a few eat their words (including me). Plenty of other good performances and I don’t think any player had a terrible game although I was a bit disappointed by Reed who I thought was off the pace but I can put that down to lack of match sharpness. Alfie Kilgour showed us what we have been missing and I’m confident we can now climb the table but will probably need cover at left back if Macca is injured again. Wallace did a decent job but we can’t expect that every week.

Honourable mentions in dispatches for both Stephen Quinn and Scott Flinders who both had good games. It was also nice to see Quinn keep his rag despite some very heavy late tackles.

Well done to all and keep up the good work Mr Clough who got his substitutions exactly right.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:46 pm

Rigsby wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

There were a few negative comments today to be fair. Maybe we're not as easy a touch as some think.

Always some proper belter comments on a match thread.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 pm

The 3rd goal was absolutely pivotal today, after half time we did not come out at all, looked all at sea sitting deep waiting for them to score. After that we looked to gain confidence, though Donny still had some great chances to score.

An ok performance, think 4-1 flatters us but deserved the win for how clinical we were, the 4th was a great goal and Akins had a good game, as did Flinders and a couple others. Think Reed will look better when we have Maris back, he got caught out a couple times because he didn't have many options. Clarke getting that yellow card straight after coming in totally nullified his game.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:01 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:20 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:A very encouraging display to get back on track. [snip] but will probably need cover at left back if Macca is injured again. Wallace did a decent job but we can’t expect that every week.

Wallace did a job today to my mind. Definitely as good as Macca has performed in recent games. We were certainly no weaker in that spot after the substitution.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby The One » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:21 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::)

Sack the dogs
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:22 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Hahaha glad I was horribly wrong! Although I can guarantee that a lot of other Stags fans thought the same thing after what we’ve seen the last few weeks!

Great win today. Akins held the ball up really well today (just like he did when we played these away) and took his goal really well. Very pleased for him. Overall we took the chances that we created really well today. I think Swan deserves a start instead of Oates personally!

Reed was fantastic too. He’s tenacious and still very reliable and comfortable on the ball. Looking forward to seeing him and Maris playing together.

I still think we looked suspect at the back today, Doncaster got in a few too many times and we rode our luck at times in the second half to say the least. A lot of that was them attacking down Perch and Wallace’s side, even though I thought Wallace did a good enough job in place of Macca. Still think we need another centre back and a left back, especially now Macca’s injured again.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:26 pm

[quote="Tomwh"]Macca looked in bad nick limping off, if it wasn't obvious enough already we needed cover in the left of defence hopefully it is now.

Can someone explain why Macca as obviously injured as he was sat on the bench for 45 minutes before hobbling, supported by one of the physios, to the changing room? Why didn't they get him in there immediately he came off ??
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:31 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Tomwh wrote:Macca looked in bad nick limping off, if it wasn't obvious enough already we needed cover in the left of defence hopefully it is now.

Can someone explain why Macca as obviously injured as he was sat on the bench for 45 minutes before hobbling, supported by one of the physios, to the changing room? Why didn't they get him in there immediately he came off ??

He wanted to watch the game? :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:33 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Tomwh wrote:Macca looked in bad nick limping off, if it wasn't obvious enough already we needed cover in the left of defence hopefully it is now.

Would imagine they were strapping him up while he was on the bench after coming off, but can't quite see from where we sit.

He was 50/50 going into the game as per Clough's post match interview, and he's been run into the ground all season. Cover needed, Wallace did well today but clearly isn't a natural wing back.
Tomwh
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:34 pm

Possible he strained something and sat down for a while to let it settle before heading to the physio room?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:37 pm

This potential problem at left back has been underlying for 18 months. It’s fortunate in a way that this has happened now and gives us a chance to sort it before the deadline.

Clough must know we need somebody else there or he wouldn’t have bothered with Page.

Wallace did reasonably well today but if Macca was out for 3 or 4 weeks it would become a problem. There is no point taking the risk, let’s plug the gaps this week and not leave anything to chance.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:39 pm

That was a great result to stuff down our Yorkshire neighbours.

What a game.

Well done Nigel. New lads do look really good.

So happy. Season starts now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:40 pm

A goal every 127 mins in the league for Swan. Can’t be many better returns than that in the league?
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:41 pm

If there really is not viable left back out there let's take on a "wildcard" youngster, who would cost us very little, from higher up.

Let's try something rather than nothing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:43 pm

:D

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:46 pm

would love to sign him permanently in the summer
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:55 pm

Tomwh wrote:The 3rd goal was absolutely pivotal today, after half time we did not come out at all, looked all at sea sitting deep waiting for them to score. After that we looked to gain confidence, though Donny still had some great chances to score.

An ok performance, think 4-1 flatters us but deserved the win for how clinical we were, the 4th was a great goal and Akins had a good game, as did Flinders and a couple others. Think Reed will look better when we have Maris back, he got caught out a couple times because he didn't have many options. Clarke getting that yellow card straight after coming in totally nullified his game.

Spot on that 3rd goal killed them today. At that point it was starting to feel like a re'run of the Barrow game.

The period between the start of the 2nd half & Akin's goal we looked quite ropey.

Akins was huge today, possibly the best individual performance of the season so far?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Sneag wrote:
Tomwh wrote:The 3rd goal was absolutely pivotal today, after half time we did not come out at all, looked all at sea sitting deep waiting for them to score. After that we looked to gain confidence, though Donny still had some great chances to score.

Spot on that 3rd goal killed them today. At that point it was starting to feel like a re'run of the Barrow game.

The period between the start of the 2nd half & Akin's goal we looked quite ropey.

Akins was huge today, possibly the best individual performance of the season so far?

Spot on!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum