{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Donkey scorefred sponsored by PART TIME PETE

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Donkey scorefred sponsored by PART TIME PETE

Postby The One » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:10 am

Steve Hymas saying 7900 tickets sold. This must be near capacity ?
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:10 am

We’ve not kept a clean sheet in 5 games, they’ve not scored in 2 away games.

Clean sheet and I’m happy.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby I am Spartacus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:57 pm

Two to the Stags. Force of habit.

As for Pym, I have known many a keeper play with a dislocated finger. They just strap it up. Or is he on his way and Peterborough don’t want him to play? Just a possibility, imo.
I am Spartacus
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:19 pm

Do we think Kilgour will start?

He didn’t start against Crewe due to a lack of match fitness, but he only got 5 minutes in that game and (I believe) 45 minutes in the Barnsley friendly 10 days ago. I’d 100% start him but I really wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Perch starting again.

I would point out that the only way he can get match fitness is by actually starting games of football. Perch needs to be on the bench for the rest of the season if we’re going to even sniff the playoffs.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:39 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Do we think Kilgour will start?

He didn’t start against Crewe due to a lack of match fitness, but he only got 5 minutes in that game and (I believe) 45 minutes in the Barnsley friendly 10 days ago. I’d 100% start him but I really wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Perch starting again.

I would point out that the only way he can get match fitness is by actually starting games of football. Perch needs to be on the bench for the rest of the season if we’re going to even sniff the playoffs.

I don’t think he will start. I don’t think Clough will think the defence did anything wrong against Crewe.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:46 pm

Flinders can’t be any worse than Pym surely?
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:00 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:01 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

I don’t think he will start. I don’t think Clough will think the defence did anything wrong against Crewe.

Wing backs it is! :lol: I did fear this.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pm

Yeah I got it wrong.

Wing backs it is. DJ on the bench. Wallace dropped after a good display. Swan still not starting. Clarke and Harbottle back on the bench
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:02 pm

Want to say its a 3-5-2.

Could easily be 5-4-1 though with Quinn and Akins wide.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Well.

And Johnson on the bench
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 pm

stagsfan6493 wrote:Flinders can’t be any worse than Pym surely?

What’s wrong with Pym all of a sudden. He’s the best goalkeeper we’ve had since Alan Marriot
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:03 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

I can’t see Danny Johnson coming off the bench today. If we need to bring on a striker for a goal/make a sub for fresh legs, he’ll undoubtedly bring Swan on first.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:04 pm

We’ve signed 2 defenders and we still have Perch in the team.

This is a problem for me. He is proven to not be quick enough or strong enough this season to compete at the level we need to. We need another addition back there
Last edited by BH_Stag on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:06 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We’ve signed 2 defenders and we still have Perch in the team.

This is a problem for me. We need another addition back there

George Miller will have a field day up front for these by simply running into the channel manned by Perch.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:08 pm

CassellsCap wrote:

What’s wrong with Pym all of a sudden. He’s the best goalkeeper we’ve had since Alan Marriot

:lol: :lol: :lol:
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:11 pm

5 at the back while shoehorning akins into the side.

You don’t want to be losing again nigel with that side.

Hopefully we get a much needed win.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:15 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

This is why we 100% have to sign another CB in this window. There’s going to be a lot more games between now and the end of the season where Clough rightly or wrongly has us playing with three at the back, which in turn means the likelihood of Perch and O’Toole having to play increases despite them both being national league standard.

Now if you added a big, strong and athletic CB to play at the back with the likes of Kilgour, Hewitt, Johnson etc, you might well have the makings of a proper defence.
Last edited by Cleveland_Stag on Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 pm

This is a problem for me. He is proven to not be quick enough or strong enough this season to compete at the level we need to. We need another addition back there

We started the season lacking central defenders and had a CF play there. Sold the CF and signed 1 CB. This is why Perch is still there. Harbottle is returning from a decent lay off. If Harbottle can return and play as he did and we have no more injuries at the back we will win more than we lose.

If Perch is LCB today then I'd be getting my players to play through balls between Macca and Perch and running at them from that side or floating crosses into the space behind Perch.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

Hold out very little hope with that team, unless the new lads all turn out to be dynamite.

1 win in last 7 home games, could be 8 after today. Just hope we're up for the fight to a man.

Come on lads prove me wrong.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:20 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

We started the season lacking central defenders and had a CF play there. Sold the CF and signed 1 CB. This is why Perch is still there. Harbottle is returning from a decent lay off. If Harbottle can return and play as he did and we have no more injuries at the back we will win more than we lose.

If Perch is LCB today then I'd be getting my players to play through balls between Macca and Perch and running at them from that side or floating crosses into the space behind Perch.

Harbottle being available, in form and having no more CB injuries is far too big of an IF to risk. Sign another CB.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:24 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

That’s not what happens in football. An injury or suspension is always around the corner, and our current stand ins aren’t up to scratch. It has proven costly all season - as per the stats that people like TTF have posted on here.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:27 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:

Harbottle being available, in form and having no more CB injuries is far too big of an IF to risk. Sign another CB.

Exactly, but it's the reality we will face if we can't bring anyone in. For me its a LCB and a LB/LWB needed.

Some are saying we need a CF. We've 2 starting and a further 3 on the bench with Gale and Knowles out the matchday squad.

Clough may still think Bowery is a RWB/CB/LWB. Probably C.Johnson at CB with Gordon RWB. I disagree. Gordon at backup RWB, yes. The rest, hard no.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:33 pm

Now you've done it :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:35 pm

People said the same about Olejnik when he was no 2 behind Logan.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum