{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Arthur Kingscott esq.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Arthur Kingscott esq.

Postby young vanish » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:02 pm

My brother in law of 30+years has no interest in football so it was a surprise when he showed me a MTFC relic. Seems both his grandfather and great-grandfather were FA referees, both named Arthur Kingscott.
Great grandad Arthur officiated in the FA cup finals of both 1900 & 1901 ~ not without some controversy (nothing changes?). He later became FA treasurer but did resign from the role years later following comments he directed at the referee in a later FA cup final!
Anyhow, retrieved from Arthur's personal effects I was shown a Mansfield Town brass key inscribed to A. KINGSCOTT esq, March 5th 1927, which was during his term as FA treasurer. Any MTFC historians shed any further light on this 96 year old Stags key? 

⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Re: Arthur Kingscott esq.

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:05 pm

Paul might know something, I'll message him to take a look.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:09 pm

The chocolate and blue of the original kit!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:23 pm

Paul's going to have a look, he did mention you should look at chapter 6 of Simon Inglis' book Soccer in the Dock. It's called "Arthur Kingscott and the Rebounding Ball".

I'll let you know if he finds anything else.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:23 pm

I’ve had a look at Jack Renter’s book of who’s who at the stags 1902 - 1995 and there is no entry for this man. It’s a pretty comprehensive catalogue of players with folk listed who had played less than a full match, so I very much doubt if he was a player.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:16 am

I reckon it unlocks the unused kiosks in the west stand and they’ve been looking for it for years.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:00 pm

I've sent you a PM young vanish.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:52 pm

Arthur Kingscott was President of the Midland League when Mansfield Town were members of that league and champions of that league.

So it might be something to do with the Stags being champions of the Midland League
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:06 pm

part time pete wrote:Arthur Kingscott was President of the Midland League when Mansfield Town were members of that league and champions of that league.

So it might be something to do with the Stags being champions of the Midland League

Paul is pretty certain it's to celebrate the opening of the club's new boardroom in 1927.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:40 pm

Many thanks folks!
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum