{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cobblers score Fred sponsored by the Beermen

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cobblers score Fred sponsored by the Beermen

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:47 pm

london amber stag wrote:We are a Jekyll and Hyde side, annihilated the Wombles and fall to promotion contenders as usual. Play offs in doubt now due to Quinn’s sending off. We never ever learn from the previous season’s mistakes.

We didn’t annihilate them, and they’ve not won in nine games. Perhaps there’s your answer.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:49 pm

I can already hear what Clough is going to say, nothing in the game, we made mistakes and Northampton didn’t.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:49 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
london amber stag wrote:We are a Jekyll and Hyde side, annihilated the Wombles and fall to promotion contenders as usual. Play offs in doubt now due to Quinn’s sending off. We never ever learn from the previous season’s mistakes.

We didn’t annihilate them, and they’ve not won in nine games. Perhaps there’s your answer.

We annihilated third place Carlisle though. Jekyll and Hyde comment is very fair.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:49 pm

If we do extend cloughs contract can it have a clause in that he can’t sign injury prone has beens from burton?
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:50 pm

Can we all at least admit we are an average League 2 Side?
We haven’t got any real strength in depth and the slowest squad of players I have ever seen in my 50 years if following the Stags
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby Stoney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:52 pm

lancer wrote:Can we all at least admit we are an average League 2 Side?
We haven’t got any real strength in depth and the slowest squad of players I have ever seen in my 50 years if following the Stags

We are 2nd in the form table. We've just won 4 out of the last 6.

I think people need to take half hour and chill out. This season's not over.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 pm

Like I say, it’s a 3 horse scrap for 7th at the very best. We have the upper hand with games in hand but whether we make them count or not I don’t know. Based on what we saw vs Salford they’re streets ahead of us but that doesn’t always translate in to other games
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Vinnie » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:53 pm

We have had some bad luck with injuries but we've not been good enough all season really to be honest. All on getting in the play offs now.
Vinnie
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby five to three » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:54 pm

Defence were ok. Not sure what the midfield were doing. Really poor up front.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tomwh » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:54 pm

The difference in our play with and without Maris is ridiculous. Hope him and Reed come back soon, Clarke and Wallace together in the midfield are not pretty or effective.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:54 pm

Stoney wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

We annihilated third place Carlisle though. Jekyll and Hyde comment is very fair.

Again, I would say we didn’t annihilate them. We played better than them and deserved to win, but the scoreline wasn’t really reflective of the game. We were incredibly clinical that night.

I would say throughout most of the season performances have pretty average, one or two excellent, one or two dismal. I don’t think we’ve ever hit the heights of our best last season. Hopefully it’s still to come but we need players back and fast.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:55 pm

Zero progress on last season, no auto promotion, play-offs at best.

I sincerely hope John, Carolyn and David Sharpe have an eye on who they want as their next manager.

Clough has had his chance, he's probably had his day if we're honest, time for an exciting brand of football.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:56 pm

Stoney wrote:

Correct, but we finished 7th last season and are currently below that, the issue with pace last season hasn’t been addressed, it’s taken 3 transfer windows to finally get a decent CB in.

I’m not in the clough out camp, but if we don’t finish in the playoffs at least he’s got some serious questions to answer.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:56 pm

They were rubbish as well. Gifted it to them on a plate
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 pm

if we fail to make the play offs we have gone backwards
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:59 pm

I can’t get over Quinn. Every cross he did today either didn’t beat the first man or he picked out their goalkeeper. And then he goes and does that. I hope he retires at the end of the season. He’s not good enough and he’s a complete liability.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Harrington St Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:00 pm

Wallace offered nothing tonight, Quinn the same. Johnson and DKD offered no threat up front, Pym can’t distribute the ball consistently or accurately and we have two makeshift wing backs. No surprise we look off the pace.

I don’t condone Quinn but I do recognise a player who is full blooded and committed in all aspects of his game. Tonight he over stepped the mark and will be suspended and most likely fined. But overall he’s been a good signing and a big reason we’ve had some good results in the last couple of years.
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby broomo » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:00 pm

Disastrous night.

Poor from Wallace to give the ball away, poor from Pym to concede the pen.

Idiotic from Quinn. That's our left hand side raspberried for at least 3 games.

Horrible to lose Macca to what looked like a late challenge and to not get a free kick for it was a joke.

A night where pretty much every managerial decision backfired.

Also thought the ref was absolutely awful from the 3rd minute on and Northampton are a bunch of shithouses who looked just as shaky and disjointed as us.

Horrible, horrible game. Struggling to remember anything we did with any quality at all.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:01 pm

adamstag wrote:
Stoney wrote:

Correct, but we finished 7th last season and are currently below that, the issue with pace last season hasn’t been addressed, it’s taken 3 transfer windows to finally get a decent CB in.

I’m not in the clough out camp, but if we don’t finish in the playoffs at least he’s got some serious questions to answer.

I agree if we don't finish in the play offs Cloughs contract doesn't get renewed. We all know that's the case anyway, he won't keep his job if we aren't top 7.

We have an easier run in after the Stockport game. We are going to carry on winning a healthy amount of games, we are going to get some of our better players back and we are going to finish top 7.

Some people on here (not you Adam) need to chill out and look at the bigger picture. I'm as gutted as the next fan that we aren't going to make top 3 but play offs is a decent enough season and a chance of promotion. We will be fine.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:02 pm

Don’t know what to say really.

Even with 10 men I thought we may nick a point but I think the players simply didn’t believe and gave up. Silly fouls and mistakes all over the pitch from the off and we just got worse as the game progressed. It was summed up by Bowery’s push at the death and I think we beat ourselves.

Quinn will be a big miss for the next three games as although he was utterly stupid tonight, he has put in some stellar performances as of late. I don’t think we will see Macca again this season and we probably have a couple more injuries from tonight.

All we can do now is settle down and fight for what points are left. We may surprise a few at Stockport as no-one will be expecting us to get anything now.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:02 pm

The difference between us going up and not last season was squad depth and Quinn’s ban. I fear this might be the same this year.

Hope this is OK to say.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:04 pm

All season long we have heard we have a squad full of first teamers. Any player good enough to start . Tonight’s depleted Northampton team were able to prevent us from playing anything like flowing football.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby lancer » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:06 pm

Stoney wrote:

I think that is more down to it being a really poor league this season.
Don’t forget Orient and Stevenage were fighting relegation for most of last season and now look odds on for promotion.
Except first half away at Carlisle, and Donny games I can’t remember many games coming away thinking we played like a promotion team.
We could still get promoted but will need to seriously have a big clear out next season regardless
lancer
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:07 pm

bellwhiff wrote:The difference between us going up and not last season was squad depth and Quinn’s ban. I fear this might be the same this year.

Hope this is OK to say.

bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm

What a catastrophic evening. Losing to a playoff rival, losing Quinn, losing Macca and now kneading to pick up after a dreadful performance.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum