{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cobblers score Fred sponsored by the Beermen

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cobblers score Fred sponsored by the Beermen

Postby victor A block » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:59 am

If Hewitt isn't fit he should bring Anderson in at right back and move Akins back up with DKD.
Wallace was really poor but looks like he has to come back in with Clarke and Boetang now, unless Maris recovers. Part of his problem is he's just so slow. If Wallace and Law had a race, my grandma would win. In fact the lack of pace in the team full stop is ridiculous. Do we have reverse pace fitness tests when players join?
Square pegs all over the place.
The injury list is still horrific. Got to hope Macca isn't a long set back. He said in interview it was an impact injury so hopefully settles down.
I'd also play Flinders but that wont happen, although Clough was critical of Pym as well as Wallace.
Season end and retirement cant come soon enough for Perch.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:12 am

Pyms distrbution was awful last night. Kept on rolling it out in the worst possible players. As soon as their forwards pressed, we panicked and lost the ball
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:17 am

Listened to NC overview. Talks about 9 players out as the key excuse , for me Flinders is better than Pym at the moment. The squad size and quality stops with management . There were some good performances from Kilgore and Bowery, nothing for DJ or Oates when he came on
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:17 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Pyms distrbution was awful last night. Kept on rolling it out in the worst possible players. As soon as their forwards pressed, we panicked and lost the ball

Rolling it out?
His kicking was terrible as well, more slices than a pizza
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldweststander » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:36 am

Yes Pym was poor but Perch wasn't as bad as some make out.

It has to be said, we are not looking like promotion contenders and I fear a play off disappointment again, if we manage to get to that point.

There wasn't a great deal between the two sides, Wallace's dallying cost us, Pym could not be blamed for the penalty, he had to do something.

Quinn was driven to his inexcusable tackle by very poor refereeing, the worst I have seen for some time.

Let's hope Macca's injury is not a recurrence of his previous one, if so he could be finished for this season.

Have to agree we were far too slow around the pitch, just like the Salford game, second to everything,
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:40 am

Bowery was our best player by far last night.

Pym's distribution has been poor all season but last night was abysmal. Bring back Flinders

Perch acts like a player seeing out his days and thinks playing for the Stags is beneath him. Hopefully Hewitt is fit for Saturday

Wallace should not be anywhere near the starting 11. I would sooner play with 10 men

Law & Gale must be thinking what have they got to do.

As for risking Macca who has just come back in suicidal.

Saying all that we should have enough to make the play offs
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:50 am

bellwhiff wrote:The difference between us going up and not last season was squad depth and Quinn’s ban. I fear this might be the same this year.

Hope this is OK to say.

Could you please stop saying "Hope this is OK to say"...?

Hope this is OK to say.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:58 am

Have not been to a game for a while so maybe Iam a bit wide of the mark as there has been some decent wins but on last night’s performance and looking at the players my feeling is we are nowhere yet ready for league 1
We may scrape a play off but with idiots like Quinn getting sent off and Pym being off the pace and very little midfield control we are struggling
Bring back Flinders at least
Kilgore was one of the better players and looks good
Thought Bowery was ok but again not a natural
Agree that if we fail to make play offs we have gone backwards and therefore it might be time for Clough to go
Why choose Pym on that performance over Flinders ???
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:14 am

Dan wrote:
five to three wrote:I thought the Quinn tackle was so bad it verged on assault. It was a shameful act that anywhere other than on a football field would have you in serious trouble. Embarrassing and deserves a long ban as well as an apology to their player.

It’s funny you say that. I walked back to the car with two young coppers from Northampton, really nice lads they were. I said to them if he’d done that outside a stadium he’d get at least 6 months inside. They’d not seen it as they’d been outside all game so I showed them on my phone and they winced and agreed with me.

It’s getting on for 3am and I’m still angry and frustrated. Mainly with Pym for the penalty, Quinn for losing the plot and Clough for risking Macca when he didn’t need to. They weren’t that much better than us either which is frustrating. If we play like that on Saturday we’ll get hammered.

Not sure you can blame Pym. He has a man running through on goal and had to come across to him. It was the slightest of touches and he didn't need to go down. It was a pen, but it also wasn't a foul.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:47 am

Costastag wrote:It was a terrible night quinn,s going to be a big miss as is macca ,but it was coming with our injury list just got to regroup and go again when we get our injured players back still pretty confident of making the play offs given our remaining games and those above us fixtures
It was a shameful sending off. However, I don't think Quinn. given his age is equipped to play game after game. He needs to be refreshed and the ban will now enforce this. With Macca's injury and. Johnson's apparent lack of appetite. Things look tougher.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:12 am

If I had to predict where we’ll finish, I think we’ll end up in 7th again, just.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:17 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:It was a terrible night quinn,s going to be a big miss as is macca ,but it was coming with our injury list just got to regroup and go again when we get our injured players back still pretty confident of making the play offs given our remaining games and those above us fixtures
It was a shameful sending off. However, I don't think Quinn. given his age is equipped to play game after game. He needs to be refreshed and the ban will now enforce this. With Macca's injury and. Johnson's apparent lack of appetite. Things look tougher.

I didnt see this last night. I saw a player that was on the shoulder of the last defender, every time we moved forward he was darting into space, pointing where he wanted it thorugh the middle, he just simply wasn't getting the ball....

every time he was challenging for a ball, it was 10ft in the air. That is not his strength.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:36 am

adamstag wrote:If we do extend cloughs contract can it have a clause in that he can’t sign injury prone has beens from burton?

Which ex Burton player is injured?
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:38 am

Richard Cranium wrote:
adamstag wrote:If we do extend cloughs contract can it have a clause in that he can’t sign injury prone has beens from burton?

Which ex Burton player is injured?

This is why there should be an hour of lockdown on the board after a game because you get comments like that :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:41 pm

Just watched the quin tackle back. Didnt look as bad on the camera from that angle as it did from the Stand.

From the stand it looked like he jumped 3ft off the ground
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:17 pm

Terrible night all round, nothing to be positive about in the space of the 90 minutes and the further loss of Quinn and Macca (again) adds to our woes BUT we are still 2nd in the form table over the last 6 games and 6th over the last 10 games. That doesn't suggest we will fall out of the play offs or that the sky is falling in. We lost a scrappy game to a fellow promotion contender 1-0 away, time to put it behind us and move onto 3 points Saturday just as we did post Salford.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:41 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:Just watched the quin tackle back. Didnt look as bad on the camera from that angle as it did from the Stand.

I agree. I was about 20 yards away and he launched in off the floor with both feet but the camera angle makes it look completely different!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:42 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Dan wrote:
five to three wrote:I thought the Quinn tackle was so bad it verged on assault. It was a shameful act that anywhere other than on a football field would have you in serious trouble. Embarrassing and deserves a long ban as well as an apology to their player.

It’s funny you say that. I walked back to the car with two young coppers from Northampton, really nice lads they were. I said to them if he’d done that outside a stadium he’d get at least 6 months inside. They’d not seen it as they’d been outside all game so I showed them on my phone and they winced and agreed with me.

It’s getting on for 3am and I’m still angry and frustrated. Mainly with Pym for the penalty, Quinn for losing the plot and Clough for risking Macca when he didn’t need to. They weren’t that much better than us either which is frustrating. If we play like that on Saturday we’ll get hammered.

Not sure you can blame Pym. He has a man running through on goal and had to come across to him. It was the slightest of touches and he didn't need to go down. It was a pen, but it also wasn't a foul.

Eh?!
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:43 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:If I had to predict where we’ll finish, I think we’ll end up in 7th again, just.

I hope you’re correct, however I think we will finish 8th or 9th.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:55 pm

3rd
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Just watched the quin tackle back. Didnt look as bad on the camera from that angle as it did from the Stand.

I agree. I was about 20 yards away and he launched in off the floor with both feet but the camera angle makes it look completely different!

And from the ifollow camera angle for their penalty, it looks like Appere loses his footing as he tries to round the keeper and falls over. Of course I'm not biased at all :lol:

Quinn didn't even touch him for his red. Idiotic challenge but their lad jumps over him as Quinn goes in it seemed like.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:03 pm

I saw the result from the vantage point of Egypt....it didn't look like there was a lack of fight, but again some squarish pegs in round holes due to the worst injury crisis in all my 49 years watching Mansfield.
A full squad available is the only time we can, as supporters, make any sort of judgement on the management for me.
However this doesn't look like happening soon, and I fear the play offs are a bit of a pipe dream for that reason.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Costastag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:46 pm

adamstag wrote:I really hope clough throws the book at quinn, it’s completely unforgivable and not the first time it’s happened, the FA will (and rightfully so) be looking into it and will probably add games on.

To do so as an experienced professional, away to someone else towards the top of the league when we’ve got the injury crisis we’ve got is beggars belief, it really is.

Apart from that, as seems to have been rumbling on for weeks, flinders still looks better to me that pym, and the lack of pace in the side is still startling, it needs addressing in the summer.

Hopes of the top 3 were extinguished last night after wins for stevenage and northampton, it remains to be seen if we make it even into the playoffs.

A big last quarter of the season for clough.

Why would you want the fa to throw the book at a mansfield player ,strange to say the least and its not the end of our season yet play off spot is within our own hands and the top three will change by the seasons end of that im pretty certain its just about getting players back and digging in
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 pm

stag324 wrote:Bowery was our best player by far last night.

Pym's distribution has been poor all season but last night was abysmal. Bring back Flinders

Perch acts like a player seeing out his days and thinks playing for the Stags is beneath him. Hopefully Hewitt is fit for Saturday

Wallace should not be anywhere near the starting 11. I would sooner play with 10 men

Law & Gale must be thinking what have they got to do.

As for risking Macca who has just come back in suicidal.

Saying all that we should have enough to make the play offs

In response to your points

Harsh

Rubbish .. I think he enjoys playing for the Stags but in my view was very poor last night

I think Wallace is potentially a good player. Unlucky booking and gave the ball away for the goal

Law more than Gale but I would have given Gale some time last night

Probably a bit early for Macca but the injury was as a result of a foul not given not fitness . Disgraceful not to even give a foul. Should have been a yellow card at least

Agreed we can make the play offs.

Ironically if you take away the pen if we had come away 0-0 I would have said it was a decent away performance
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:21 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I didnt see this last night. I saw a player that was on the shoulder of the last defender, every time we moved forward he was darting into space, pointing where he wanted it thorugh the middle, he just simply wasn't getting the ball....

every time he was challenging for a ball, it was 10ft in the air. That is not his strength.

Maybe that's his style, just looks uninterested to me.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum