{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

videos: Crewe game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

videos: Crewe game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:25 pm

George Maris scores for Mansfield against Crewe

Brief highlights provided by IMG

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: videos: Crewe game

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:45 pm

Pym should have done better, Maris red card harsh but probably right, Hewitt not getting there and the Crewe player would have had a one on one, albeit at a tight angle. I think we are right not to appeal.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:48 pm

Pym should have done better ?

Take a look at the goal from the Crewe fans video..

No chance of saving that I don't think.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:16 pm

Rob wrote:Pym should have done better, Maris red card harsh but probably right, Hewitt not getting there and the Crewe player would have had a one on one, albeit at a tight angle. I think we are right not to appeal.

It would be interesting to hear why the ref gave a red card. Clearly not denying a goal scoring opportunity, nor the last man, so I guess that it's regarded as dangerous play, perhaps?
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:29 pm

Bradders wrote:
Rob wrote:Pym should have done better, Maris red card harsh but probably right, Hewitt not getting there and the Crewe player would have had a one on one, albeit at a tight angle. I think we are right not to appeal.

It would be interesting to hear why the ref gave a red card. Clearly not denying a goal scoring opportunity, nor the last man, so I guess that it's regarded as dangerous play, perhaps?

which it wasn’t
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:32 pm

Bradders wrote:

Clough said it was given for denying a goalscoring opportunity
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rigsby » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:33 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Pym should have done better ?

Take a look at the goal from the Crewe fans video..

No chance of saving that I don't think.

I agree. It was heading for the corner where Pym was. It veered away at the last second. I don't think he had a chance to react.
Rigsby
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:00 pm

We are right not to appeal.

It was a deliberate foul. They get overturned when the player did nothing wrong. Like won the ball first or mistaken identity. They aren't going to overturn a deliberate foul. They'd add more games for wasting their time.

I did find it amusing that some wanted Stevo to grill Clough more and Stevo wouldn't let it go that we weren't appealing.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:01 pm

Video of the shot from the away stand... had some serious curl (shooting into the wind)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsWTO7kNPdY
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:02 pm

Bradders wrote:

I think he was the last man, Hewitt was too far away. If he wasn't last man the club would appeal and it would be over-turned. As I said it was on the harsh side as there probably was enough doubt about the DOGSO to leave it as a yellow, but unless it is a clear and obvious mistake the FA will usually support the referee, rightly so.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:05 pm

part time pete wrote:Video of the shot from the away stand... had some serious curl (shooting into the wind)

Yes the ball does curl (they often do!), but it curled from the moment it left the players boot and was a long way out so the keeper should have had time to get his feet right and get at least close to the ball. I don't think it was a huge howler but having seen all the angles I do think he himself will think he should have made a better attempt at it - it went in in the middle of the goal, not in the corner.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:14 pm

Dont think you can blame pym for the goal it was moving about a helluva lot ,as for maris dont really think we can complain ,on a positive note great debut from johnson
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:35 pm

:)is the scorer Brazilian :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:52 pm

We really shouldn't be debating the wonder goal, as the officials missed an apparent elbow on Johnson shortly before. He decided to give a drop ball which favoured Crewe. We should have been awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Sometimes games change on important decision. Prior to that Crewe didn't threaten our goal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:57 pm

Ahh theres that word again apparent if it inconclusive why bother debating it we are still well short of a promotion side
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:54 pm

Costastag wrote:Ahh theres that word again apparent if it inconclusive why bother debating it we are still well short of a promotion side
From where I sat in the Quarry Lane end it looked like the Crewe player elbowed Johnson, then he (the Crewe player went down). For some reason the referee (maybe he was unsighted ) bizarrely gave a drop ball. A lot of fans sat in the same stand couldn't understand the decision.

I don't think we are that far off a promotion side, albeit not this season.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:02 pm

Having seen the highlights there are two covering defenders, it's never a red card for being the last man, to not appeal it shows how fed up with the system we are! If he'd red carded him for violent conduct, ie just kick the player then I'd agree, but he isn't last man.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:18 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:05 am

Rob wrote:
part time pete wrote:Video of the shot from the away stand... had some serious curl (shooting into the wind)

Yes the ball does curl (they often do!), but it curled from the moment it left the players boot and was a long way out so the keeper should have had time to get his feet right and get at least close to the ball. I don't think it was a huge howler but having seen all the angles I do think he himself will think he should have made a better attempt at it - it went in in the middle of the goal, not in the corner.

Good view of the curl on that clip. Looks like it was heading for the right half of the goal, but swings round to go in at the middle. A great strike but nothing freakish or amazing, and I'm sure that Pym will be disappointed that he was caught out by a shot from a long way out that goes in the centre of the goal.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:40 am

Amber Andy wrote:We really shouldn't be debating the wonder goal, as the officials missed an apparent elbow on Johnson shortly before. He decided to give a drop ball which favoured Crewe. We should have been awarded a free kick in a dangerous position. Sometimes games change on important decision. Prior to that Crewe didn't threaten our goal.

Quinny at the risk of a probable booking 'debated' this situation at some length with t'ref. For me it compounded my weekend woe that they scored from the impending 'free kick', to which the firey Irishman's temper increased.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum