{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lapslie (confirmed) & Hawkins (confirmed) sold to Gillingham

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lapslie (rumour) and Hawkins (confirmed) sold to Gilling

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:53 pm

Dave Wayne wrote:
Tomwh wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:What worries me is that fans are so pleased to see a signing at last in Alfie Kilgour that they will forget that only maintains the status quo with Oli Hawkins gone......we still need the net three signings the team desperately needs and we have been hoping for.

The most pleasing (yet somewhat perplexing) thing for me is Clough's comments about needing defenders.

Can't work out whether he's known all along, or thought this make shift defence was good enough initially and changed his mind.

Still need more signings but would seem that he knows/realises this.

I'm sure he has known for quite a while, as we all have, but there was sod all he could do about it until January. We already know that talks started with Kilgour some time ago, and if rumours are true then the Freeman deal was also along way down the line till Cowley was sacked.
It makes me laugh that people assume Clough and his team have been sitting twiddling their thumbs since the last window closed.

People actually think someone who's managed as many games as he has can't see what Dave from Woodhouse sees.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:54 pm

zod wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Stagsnet: WHERE ARE ALL THE SIGNINGS??????

Also Stagsnet: Calm down, it's only a signing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just seen a lad with short brown hair getting out a silver merc at the OC?

That rules out Haaland and De Bruyne then :?
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:59 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Tomwh wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:What worries me is that fans are so pleased to see a signing at last in Alfie Kilgour that they will forget that only maintains the status quo with Oli Hawkins gone......we still need the net three signings the team desperately needs and we have been hoping for.

The most pleasing (yet somewhat perplexing) thing for me is Clough's comments about needing defenders.

Can't work out whether he's known all along, or thought this make shift defence was good enough initially and changed his mind.

I'm sure he has known for quite a while, as we all have, but there was sod all he could do about it until January. We already know that talks started with Kilgour some time ago, and if rumours are true then the Freeman deal was also along way down the line till Cowley was sacked.
It makes me laugh that people assume Clough and his team have been sitting twiddling their thumbs since the last window closed.

People actually think someone who's managed as many games as he has can't see what Dave from Woodhouse sees.

Well its an actual fact, he didn't see it and has admitted as much - he made no attempt to sign a centre back at the end of the transfer window, instead he was trying to sign a forward and of course signed Hartigan. Why do you think he said "One of the problems we've had is that we've had people play back there who aren't natural defenders and he's a natural defender." - this 4 months after quite a number of us had been saying the same thing on here (its all still there if you want to read it). So yes he's a decent manager, yes he has a lot of experience but yes he definitely does make mistakes - its actually quite refreshing to see him admit it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:12 pm

It’s refreshing to see Clough admit his mistake.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:16 pm

I think it's more likely he's got to the end of his tether with the continual mistakes, realised that it's more likely to continue happening than not, and decided to focus on experts in the role. I know that there's an argument that if you create a utility player squad then you've got no experts anywhere - but he's probably put his faith too much in professional footballers being able to do the basics better than they have done.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:31 pm

It’s definitely to do with the fact he’s been playing strikers in defence and it’s backfired on him, strikers will make more mistakes in defence due to not being defenders.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:16 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I think it's more likely he's got to the end of his tether with the continual mistakes, realised that it's more likely to continue happening than not, and decided to focus on experts in the role. I know that there's an argument that if you create a utility player squad then you've got no experts anywhere - but he's probably put his faith too much in professional footballers being able to do the basics better than they have done.

Even Guardiola plays proper defenders.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:32 pm

Gruff wrote:
zod wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Stagsnet: WHERE ARE ALL THE SIGNINGS??????

Also Stagsnet: Calm down, it's only a signing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just seen a lad with short brown hair getting out a silver merc at the OC?

That rules out Haaland and De Bruyne then :?

Just seen the new signing news. It was him I saw earlier
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:14 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Do we need strikers? We've got Oates, Swan, Bowery and Akins. Knowles got some game time after injury and Gale is out injured for a few more weeks.

We seem to have few striking options because they're usually plugging holes in defence. Traditionally attacking options are hard to come by in January. Nicky Adjose anyone?

I honestly think we’re still a proper finisher short Gazza. Half of those names couldn’t hit a barn door if it were a yard in front of them :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:39 pm

Gills fan has told me Lapslie deal is done and will be announced tomorrow.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:53 pm

ParisStag wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Tomwh wrote:

There's a plethora of interviews where Clough bangs on about being happy with his squad, and he's had enough transfer windows now to have addressed the problems before this January - he's even said himself, January is not a good window to be operating in, yet here we are, fixing a massive problem in the heart of the defence.

Noone is assuming that they aren't constantly looking at potential signings, people are just listening to what Clough has said himself, and looking at the composition of the squad, which up until now has been a mess - again something he has more or less admitted when saying they've played too many players out of position.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rustystag » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:08 pm

Heard today as well that laps will be announced tomorrow

Sad to lose two good players but happy with what we've signed so far

We tighten up at the back I think we made a solid push for the play offs
Rustystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:34 am

Its all good buisness. Out of contract, might as well make some profit and try and enhance the squad in a different way.

Good player, but replaceable
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:46 am

MTFCMusings wrote:Gills fan has told me Lapslie deal is done and will be announced tomorrow.

The sooner they announce this deal is done the better , we may get a nice suprise ourselves then :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:48 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Gills fan has told me Lapslie deal is done and will be announced tomorrow.

The sooner they announce this deal is done the better , we may get a nice suprise ourselves then :D

Or 2.

All being well.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:56 am

broomo wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Or 2.

All being well.

Could we be announcing any new signings today or do we have to wait until next week now?
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:00 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:
broomo wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Or 2.

All being well.

Could we be announcing any new signings today or do we have to wait until next week now?

Next week (at the earliest). Got a feeling one of this specific 2 might drag on until late. Would be lovely if both get done quicker.

Haven't asked if the 2 are the end of the ins.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:23 am

broomo wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:
broomo wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

Or 2.

All being well.

Next week (at the earliest). Got a feeling one of this specific 2 might drag on until late. Would be lovely if both get done quicker.

Haven't asked if the 2 are the end of the ins.

Cheers Craig, if the calibre of player is as impressive as Kilgour and Johnson it’s worth the wait.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:53 am

Maybe Harbottle and Swan on permanent deals ? I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed.
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:39 am

Are any of the 2 a left back?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby my name is jonas » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:41 am

Davis Keillor Dunn to replace Laps would be ideal.
We need a goal scoring midfielder in with Lapslie going.
my name is jonas
First Team
First Team

Postby lifestags » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:50 am

Are we sure keilor dunn is a cam? I am sure he is a striker that plays as a number 10. :lol:
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:15 am

gazza1988 wrote:Are any of the 2 a left back?

No.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:17 am

broomo wrote:

No.

Did NC (or whoever tells you) indicate what we are doing about the lack of left backs? Or is it hope Macca and Page can synchronise their injuries so 1 is available at all times?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:25 am

gazza1988 wrote:
broomo wrote:

No.

Did NC (or whoever tells you) indicate what we are doing about the lack of left backs? Or is it hope Macca and Page can synchronise their injuries so 1 is available at all times?

who’s Page ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum