{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crewe score Fred sponsored by we trust you Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crewe score Fred sponsored by we trust you Nigel

Postby NEStag » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:00 pm

Dan wrote:I hope nigel remembers to play a goalkeeper :D

Fair Dan. I did think that when I typed it and thought someone on it would spot that
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:03 pm

NEStag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
NEStag wrote:Sounded like Nigel thought Johnson was ready but maybe not Kilgour

I am going to guess

McLaughlin (if fit)
Hewitt
Perch
Johnson

Gordon
Maris
Quinn
Boateng

Akins
Oates

I thought the other way round, with some doubt whether Johnson registered in time rather than not being ready.

Fair point. Although I thought he sounded optimistic on that front in the interview

I’d expect both to start, I wouldn’t believe a word that Clough says about team selection in the run up to a game. I think he’s from the school of never giving anything away to the opposition. He was also vague about whether either would start or whether it’d be in a 4 or a 5 at the back
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:08 pm

I thought he let slip he was playing a back 4 and then quickly tried to correct it
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:09 pm

NEStag wrote:I thought he let slip he was playing a back 4 and then quickly tried to correct it

To be fair I thought exactly the same, that’s sort of what made me think about him maybe being deliberately vague on purpose
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:37 pm

He indicated that Kilgour hadn't played for awhile, and probably not match fit to start.

He said Johnson couldn't play until International clearance had been granted. If it came through in time Johnson was ready to play.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:13 pm

Both would start for me as long as cleared to play. Not like we are flying and it would upset things. Only 5 teams in the league have conceded less than us and these are the lads we’ve brought in to sort it so get them in from the off and let’s get moving.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:24 am

Any pitch inspection planned we’ve had a lot of rain in Mansfield over night and more expected throughout the day
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Ethers1979 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:41 am

BH_Stag wrote:Both would start for me as long as cleared to play. Not like we are flying and it would upset things. Only 5 teams in the league have conceded less than us and these are the lads we’ve brought in to sort it so get them in from the off and let’s get moving.

We have the 6th best defence? What’s all the fuss about?
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:47 am

Ethers1979 wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:Both would start for me as long as cleared to play. Not like we are flying and it would upset things. Only 5 teams in the league have conceded less than us and these are the lads we’ve brought in to sort it so get them in from the off and let’s get moving.

19th best defense, we have the 6th worst.

Think the original poster must have meant more than us
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:51 am

Ethers1979 wrote:

They got the stat wrong.

5 teams have conceded more than us on 34. Doncaster have 35 (currently 10th in the table), Rochdale have 37 (22nd), Harrogate have 39 (19th), Crawley have 39 (21st) and Hartlepool have the worst with 45 (23rd)

Now on goals scored we are joint 4th best with Stevenage(2nd) in the league with 35. Orient(1st) are 3rd best and have scored 36, Carlisle(4th) are 2nd best with 37 and Northampton(3rd) are highest scorers with 40.

Reaffirms my view that we don't need strikers, we need defenders to stop the goals being conceded so easily. Left back is still a major need and ideally another CB preferably left footed if beggars can be choosers.

That solid foundation at the back would see us attack more often because we can depend on defenders defending.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:10 am

Any win will do UTS !
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:23 am

Crewe are the 2nd lowest goalscorers in the league with just 19 goals scored. Joint 11th best in the league on goals conceded.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:31 am

gazza1988 wrote:Crewe are the 2nd lowest goalscorers in the league with just 19 goals scored. Joint 11th best in the league on goals conceded.

Now you’ve done it :D
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:37 am

gazza1988 wrote:
Ethers1979 wrote:

They got the stat wrong.

5 teams have conceded more than us on 34. Doncaster have 35 (currently 10th in the table), Rochdale have 37 (22nd), Harrogate have 39 (19th), Crawley have 39 (21st) and Hartlepool have the worst with 45 (23rd)

Now on goals scored we are joint 4th best with Stevenage(2nd) in the league with 35. Orient(1st) are 3rd best and have scored 36, Carlisle(4th) are 2nd best with 37 and Northampton(3rd) are highest scorers with 40.

Reaffirms my view that we don't need strikers, we need defenders to stop the goals being conceded so easily. Left back is still a major need and ideally another CB preferably left footed if beggars can be choosers.

That solid foundation at the back would see us attack more often because we can depend on defenders defending.

The numbers are so clear: We've had the joint 2nd highest shots from open play in League 2 as well (219 shots from open play, 23 goals) - joint with Salford (219/22) and Stockport (219/24), everyone is way behind Swindon (249/22). So we're alright with the goals and chances - however, with our 2nd highest scorer about to leave then there is going to be a hole in the numbers.

The defensive numbers bear your point out: We've had the joint 4th lowest shots against us from open play but conceded the joint 3rd most goals (164 shots against/26 goals). We basically concede a goal from every 6 shots against us. Only Hartlepool are worse. Stevenage are the highest, conceding a goal from every 16 shots.

Pos, Team, Shots against, Goals Against, Goal every shot
23, Hartlepool United, 211, 36, 6
9, Mansfield Town, 164, 26, 6
12, Sutton United, 173, 23, 8
10, Doncaster Rovers, 232, 29, 8
24, Gillingham, 179, 21, 9
19, Harrogate Town, 236, 26, 9
6, Barrow, 174, 19, 9
4, Carlisle United, 207, 21, 10
16, Grimsby, 178, 18, 10
20, Colchester United, 215, 21, 10
14, Stockport, 164, 16, 10
22, Rochdale, 200, 19, 11
11, Walsall, 187, 16, 12
15, Tranmere Rovers, 164, 14, 12
21, Crawley Town, 248, 21, 12
8, Swindon Town, 208, 17, 12
3, Northampton Town, 189, 15, 13
7, Salford City, 195, 15, 13
17, Crewe Alexandra, 223, 17, 13
18, Newport County, 195, 14, 14
13, AFC Wimbledon, 178, 12, 15
1, Leyton Orient, 138, 9, 15
5, Bradford City, 159, 10, 16
2, Stevenage, 148, 9, 16
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:05 pm

Not sure how to feel about today. If both Kilgour and Johnson start I’ll be quietly confident. However if only one of them starts/none of them can start because of match fitness/international clearance then I can’t see us not conceding at least two goals with the other defenders we’ve got.

Todays an absolute must win today. At home against 17th in the league and our fixtures get very tough for the next few weeks after today. A win today + the new signings we’ve made and new signings we may make next week could really help to bring a feel good factor back.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:30 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Ethers1979 wrote:

They got the stat wrong.

The numbers are so clear: We've had the joint 2nd highest shots from open play in League 2 as well (219 shots from open play, 23 goals) - joint with Salford (219/22) and Stockport (219/24), everyone is way behind Swindon (249/22). So we're alright with the goals and chances - however, with our 2nd highest scorer about to leave then there is going to be a hole in the numbers.

The defensive numbers bear your point out: We've had the joint 4th lowest shots against us from open play but conceded the joint 3rd most goals (164 shots against/26 goals). We basically concede a goal from every 6 shots against us. Only Hartlepool are worse. Stevenage are the highest, conceding a goal from every 16 shots.

6, Barrow, 174, 19, 9
16, Grimsby, 178, 18, 10
11, Walsall, 187, 16, 12
2, Stevenage, 148, 9, 16

So, with the defensive numbers being so stark, why is this?
Is it a goalkeeper problem?
Are we just unlucky with opponents scoring worldies every game?
Is our defending generally really good but we make mistakes at crucial times which cost goals that the goalkeeper has no chance with?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:41 pm

I know the XG measure has some ridicule (sometimes rightly), but in this case it's relevant because it's a measure of likelihood of scoring from the position that shots are taken from. We have the third lowest XG against, but one of the highest actual goals against - which suggests that teams are scoring against us from more difficult positions on the pitch - this could be worldies, but maybe goals from angles/tight positions. Our XG goals against is 0.19 - which is the 3rd lowest in League 2.

So: we have one of the lowest shots against (actual shots), an even lower XG's against (shots from which position on the pitch), but concede one of highest goals per shot ratio (actual goals). It says to me that we're conceding worldies, or that goals are being conceded from shots from tighter positions.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:52 pm

Marky Mark wrote:I know the XG measure has some ridicule (sometimes rightly), but in this case it's relevant because it's a measure of likelihood of scoring from the position that shots are taken from. We have the third lowest XG against, but one of the highest actual goals against - which suggests that teams are scoring against us from more difficult positions on the pitch - this could be worldies, but maybe goals from angles/tight positions. Our XG goals against is 0.19 - which is the 3rd lowest in League 2.

So: we have one of the lowest shots against (actual shots), an even lower XG's against (shots from which position on the pitch), but concede one of highest goals per shot ratio (actual goals). It says to me that we're conceding worldies, or that goals are being conceded from shots from tighter positions.

So who’s fault is it?
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:58 pm

part time pete wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:I know the XG measure has some ridicule (sometimes rightly), but in this case it's relevant because it's a measure of likelihood of scoring from the position that shots are taken from. We have the third lowest XG against, but one of the highest actual goals against - which suggests that teams are scoring against us from more difficult positions on the pitch - this could be worldies, but maybe goals from angles/tight positions. Our XG goals against is 0.19 - which is the 3rd lowest in League 2.

So who’s fault is it?

If it's tighter positions, then maybe the full backs, if it's worldies then maybe the midfield/CBs aren't closing down enough, and ultimately the keeper is in the goal to stop goals.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:16 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
part time pete wrote:

So who’s fault is it?

If it's tighter positions, then maybe the full backs, if it's worldies then maybe the midfield/CBs aren't closing down enough, and ultimately the keeper is in the goal to stop goals.

See Pym thread for my opinion on his role in this, he has the worst save % in the league.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:47 pm

part time pete wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
Ethers1979 wrote:

They got the stat wrong.

6, Barrow, 174, 19, 9
16, Grimsby, 178, 18, 10
11, Walsall, 187, 16, 12
2, Stevenage, 148, 9, 16

So, with the defensive numbers being so stark, why is this?
Is it a goalkeeper problem?
Are we just unlucky with opponents scoring worldies every game?
Is our defending generally really good but we make mistakes at crucial times which cost goals that the goalkeeper has no chance with?

It would be interesting to see where our goals conceded are being conceded from. Loads of times it seems there's uncontested tap/nod ins from 8 to 10 yards out.

If the forward has worked for that space then fair enough but mostly we just leave them to it.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:01 pm

post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:02 pm

Johnson starts, Alfie bench, Lapslie nowhere
Last edited by Marky Mark on Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:02 pm

gazza1988 wrote:

That is not a good 11 :lol: Perch and Wallace starting is sad. We need another centre midfielder in then don’t we if Wallace is having to start games.

Surprised Kilgour isn’t starting. How else is he going to gain match fitness? We’ve not got any cup games for him to play in have we.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:04 pm

Is that a back four ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum