{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Crewe score Fred sponsored by we trust you Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Crewe score Fred sponsored by we trust you Nigel

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:03 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:Was Oates injured? Ridiculous sub if he wasn’t. Individual errors cost us again, against the weakest team I’ve seen at the Mill this season.

Yes think Nigel asked him if he was alright after he'd made the walk back to the bench.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:05 pm

Just back from the game....thought Wallace was excellent from the first minute and Johnson was really good on the right....

But oh for a goal scorer come poacher....oh wait isn't that Danny Johnson.....?? We can't score goals for heavens sake

Why oh why do we bring all eleven back for corners....there's no get out ball and they can choose their tactics...with no pressure

Oates must be sick of chasing lost causes
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:07 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just back from the game....thought Wallace was excellent from the first minute and Johnson was really good on the right....

But oh for a goal scorer come poacher....oh wait isn't that Danny Johnson.....?? We can't score goals for heavens sake

Why oh why do we bring all eleven back for corners....there's no get out ball and they can choose their tactics...with no pressure

The corners thing really gets me too, why would you not have Oates on half way!? There was a clearance in the second half he would have been right on top of, instead their keeper picks it up near half way and puts us back under pressure.
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:19 pm

So utterly frustrating again. Crewe offered naff all, in fact the ironic chant of ‘how raspberries must you be, we’ve had a shot’ from their fans in the first half pretty much summed up the quality of the opposition we were up against.

The positives to come from that performance were an impressive debut by Johnson and a very solid performance from Wallace, who I thought was unlucky to get booked for what looked like a meaty but fair challenge.

We seem to be bang out of luck and copped for some more dreadful refereeing decisions in the second half. I thought the ref was good in the first half but second half he: 1) Gave them the drop ball after Johnson and their lad clashed heads, if anything their lad led with his elbow and from that phase of play they scored. 2) Booked Wallace for what looked like a good challenge. 3) He sent off Maris for what was a blatant foul and a clear yellow card, quite how he has decided that is a sending off is beyond me.

Did their goal take a huge deflection? Did it swerve like a Roberto Carlos special? It was it just pants goalkeeping? It was so bizarre I couldn’t tell what had happened.

Their keeper pulled off a couple of unreal saves, not sure how much he knew about one of them and if just one of those would have found the net I think we would’ve gone on to win comfortably.

With all that said, I wish to god we would ditch this front three or 4-5-1 that is masquerading as a front three. The wide players are so far away from the centre forward they are just not a threat. I lost count how many times Bowery and Oates switched roles of wide right and centre forward. For Oates to be expected to track back and cover so much defensive work is just limiting his chance of influencing the game at the end of the pitch he belongs. For the love of god can we please play with two strikers and put some pressure on the opposition defence when they have the ball.

I was a little disappointed to see us settle for the point once we went down to ten men, I know we could’ve been caught out at the other end but games at home against Crewe are the kind of games we need to be winning.

The division is so congested that we are still well in the hunt, I think that says a lot about how evenly matched a lot of teams are. I’m yet to see a side come to Field Mill yet and think Christ they’re very good’, with the exception of Swindon who have since binned off their manager.

We could drop as low as 12th if those below us win their games in hand. A couple of back to back wins and you start looking at 3rd spot again but we need to improve and fast.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:21 pm

i think Pym just mucked it up, didn’t look like it moved just he was wrong footed, massive mistake which cost us 3pts
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:Just back from the game....thought Wallace was excellent from the first minute and Johnson was really good on the right....

I wish he would stop chasing lost causes. He runs around stupidly trying to close down balls he’s never going to get to.

He was supplied with two good chances today and wasted them both. Apart from that he dribbled into dead ends and miscontrolled the ball endlessly.
Last edited by MTFCMusings on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:I like the line up personally! We’ve been crying out for someone to sit in front of the defence like Wallace.

He might well sit in front of the defence but he’s not good at it whatsoever. Absolute passenger. :lol:

We thought Kieran Wallace played really well today and was MOM followed by George Maris.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:23 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:So utterly frustrating again. Crewe offered naff all, in fact the ironic chant of ‘how raspberries must you be, we’ve had a shot’ from their fans in the first half pretty much summed up the quality of the opposition we were up against.

The positives to come from that performance were an impressive debut by Johnson and a very solid performance from Wallace, who I thought was unlucky to get booked for what looked like a meaty but fair challenge.

We seem to be bang out of luck and copped for some more dreadful refereeing decisions in the second half. I thought the ref was good in the first half but second half he: 1) Gave them the drop ball after Johnson and their lad clashed heads, if anything their lad led with his elbow and from that phase of play they scored. 2) Booked Wallace for what looked like a good challenge. 3) He sent off Maris for what was a blatant foul and a clear yellow card, quite how he has decided that is a sending off is beyond me.

Did their goal take a huge deflection? Did it swerve like a Roberto Carlos special? It was it just pants goalkeeping? It was so bizarre I couldn’t tell what had happened.

Their keeper pulled off a couple of unreal saves, not sure how much he knew about one of them and if just one of those would have found the net I think we would’ve gone on to win comfortably.

With all that said, I wish to god we would ditch this front three or 4-5-1 that is masquerading as a front three. The wide players are so far away from the centre forward they are just not a threat. I lost count how many times Bowery and Oates switched roles of wide right and centre forward. For Oates to be expected to track back and cover so much defensive work is just limiting his chance of influencing the game at the end of the pitch he belongs. For the love of god can we please play with two strikers and put some pressure on the opposition defence when they have the ball.

I was a little disappointed to see us settle for the point once we went down to ten men, I know we could’ve been caught out at the other end but games at home against Crewe are the kind of games we need to be winning.

The division is so congested that we are still well in the hunt, I think that says a lot about how evenly matched a lot of teams are. I’m yet to see a side come to Field Mill yet and think Christ they’re very good’, with the exception of Swindon who have since binned off their manager.

We could drop as low as 12th if those below us win their games in hand. A couple of back to back wins and you start looking at 3rd spot again but we need to improve and fast.

Agree entirely. The ref had a huge impact with the two decisions, the bizzare refusal to have a drop ball and then the red card.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:25 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:
stagsfan6493 wrote:I like the line up personally! We’ve been crying out for someone to sit in front of the defence like Wallace.

He might well sit in front of the defence but he’s not good at it whatsoever. Absolute passenger. :lol:

We thought Kieran Wallace played really well today and was MOM followed by George Maris.

Kieran Wallace first half was unbelievable, by far man of the half

shocking Ref straight red ? never in a month of Tuesdays
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:26 pm

The Maris red card is usually one which which would be a yellow, although I have no issue with it being a red and think they should be given more often. He’s nowhere near the ball, no intention of going for the ball, his intent is to kick the player hard enough so that he hits the deck and stops the break. Why shouldn’t that be a red card?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:27 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The Maris red card is usually one which which would be a yellow, although I have no issue with it being a red and think they should be given more often. He’s nowhere near the ball, no intention of going for the ball, his intent is to kick the player hard enough so that he hits the deck and stops the break. Why shouldn’t that be a red card?

maybe because that’s not the rules ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:28 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
Cleveland_Stag wrote:

Haha yep I agree! Glad he proved me wrong today, thought he was composed on the ball and gave us control in there. Happy to be proven wrong in that respect! Hopefully he can be more consistent now, considering all the midfield injuries/suspensions we have currently.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:33 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:The Maris red card is usually one which which would be a yellow, although I have no issue with it being a red and think they should be given more often. He’s nowhere near the ball, no intention of going for the ball, his intent is to kick the player hard enough so that he hits the deck and stops the break. Why shouldn’t that be a red card?

He was going to be through on goal and Maris kicked their player when the ball was ten yards away.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:33 pm

Before the match most on here were questioning Wallace? Well believe it or not Clough knows how he’s been in training so deserved a start. And so let’s give credit there. We would’ve won that match but credit again to the Crewe goalkeeper.. 3 Points don’t come easy in this league as most of today’s results prove..It’s a long season . COYS
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:37 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

He was going to be through on goal and Maris kicked their player when the ball was ten yards away.

he wasn’t last man, should have been a yellow, however clough just said it’s only a one game ban
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:38 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:38 pm

Johnson looked good. Unfortunately he's unlikely to make up for the other 10. We miss Clarke (and will more so next week)
Boetang seems to start well and then disappears. Pym is starting to look less convincing every Saturday. Oates looks totally frustrated. And we wont get near the playoffs with Bowery in the side.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:40 pm

Wallace was superb. New RB was very good. Some positive changes, however only one up front is criminal at home. There won’t be gates of 6,000 next season with that set up.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:41 pm

victor A block wrote:Johnson looked good. Unfortunately he's unlikely to make up for the other 10. We miss Clarke (and will more so next week)
Boetang seems to start well and then disappears. Pym is starting to look less convincing every Saturday. Oates looks totally frustrated. And we wont get near the playoffs with Bowery in the side.

Agree with most of that. I don’t see what else Pym can do though.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:42 pm

CassellsCap wrote:Before the match most on here were questioning Wallace? Well believe it or not Clough knows how he’s been in training so deserved a start. And so let’s give credit there. We would’ve won that match but credit again to the Crewe goalkeeper.. 3 Points don’t come easy in this league as most of today’s results prove..It’s a long season . COYS

Yep, he'd been really poor for us previously but was our best player imo today, and has been receiving credit for it.

Crewe were a poor side and dropping points against them is very disappointing. Half of what their own fans sung was about how poor they are.
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:43 pm

Wallace best player on the pitch today.

Very disappointed with the result.

Crewe are the worst side I have seen this season. Although the shot for their goal was well struck it seemed to have taken a deflection from where I sat.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Like others I thought Wallace was excellent today, I was disappointed to see him get taken off.

Vast improvement on last week & on another day we walk away comfortable winners.

I wouldbe nice to walk away from a ground though with that warm fuzzy feeling that comes from a comprehensive entertaining & well deserved victory. I think the last time I felt that was coming out of the Keepmoat waaay back in September.
Last edited by Sneag on Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Poor finishing let us down today particularly by Rhys Oates plus the ref giving possession to Crewe when it was a drop ball plus Hiram Boateng giving the ball away plus Christy Pym not saving a shot from distance (unless there was a deflection).

We created enough chances to win the game but did not take them.

Callum Johnson put two great crosses in played well and will improve our squad.

Louis Reed would be another very good signing but would that mean George Maris playing further forward?

We are definitely moving forward to a Nigel Clough 2.0 squad but will it be too late for this season? Looking forward to finding out.

COYS!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:56 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:56 pm

That’s it. The protest has begun. I’m writing a strongly worded letter to Nigel.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum