{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Window

Postby scotsstag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:55 pm

BH_Stag wrote:Christ how uninspiring was that. He could at least try to look slightly enthused.

There are areas we glaringly need to address and it it’s ‘if it happens it happens’, ‘we don’t like January’, ‘it might run to the end of the window’. Hardly inspires confidence after previous windows.

Think you're being kind with "uninspiring" BH.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:00 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Wow Nigel, Just wow.

Its like he doesn't realise we need 3/4 players not ''could do with''
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:12 pm

That was an enlightening VT
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:16 pm

We’ve got a pretty small squad that’s been hit by injuries and he doesn’t want to increase numbers because they’ll be back by the end of Jan… Nigel there will be 3 more injured by then, that’s what happens. You haven’t had a fully fit squad all season (or last season for the most part), when are you going to learn? Not to mention there’s a good few in there like JJ & Perch that are currently fit and aren’t up to required standard anymore that we need to improve upon.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:21 pm

BH_Stag wrote:We’ve got a pretty small squad that’s been hit by injuries and he doesn’t want to increase numbers because they’ll be back by the end of Jan… Nigel there will be 3 more injured by then, that’s what happens. You haven’t had a fully fit squad all season (or last season for the most part), when are you going to learn? Not to mention there’s a good few in there like JJ & Perch that are currently fit and aren’t up to required standard anymore that we need to improve upon.

Exactly and with regards to transfers first its ''after the FA cup weekend'' then ''Last week of the window'' we know how this goes, scrambling about in the last hours of the window after losing George Lapslie.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby tmwilson » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:43 pm

One of the main worries got me that he thinks when every player is fit we will be fine. Very rarely have we had a fully fit squad. Clarke and Wallace are always in and out the squad. Hartigan will be out for a while. Others will get injured.
To be serous promotion contenders, we need at least two players in.. If DJ and Laps go, what's to say it won't be last min offers and we will be stumped again.
I'm just hoping he's keeping things a bit more hush, hush with what's happened the last few transfer windows.. We need players in now, not end of the month.
Massive Cloughie fan but he's even testing my patience.. Last thing we need is to drop more points then, Nigel blame players missing
Last edited by tmwilson on Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmwilson
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:51 pm

I get his point about only wanting to bring in players who are better or as good as what we have, but when you have one of the worst defences in the league, you wouldn’t think it would be that difficult.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:57 pm

He's lost the plot im afraid :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:05 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I get his point about only wanting to bring in players who are better or as good as what we have, but when you have one of the worst defences in the league, you wouldn’t think it would be that difficult.

Apparently the only Right Back available in the whole of football is Freeman.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:07 pm

Johnson will be off, I expect Laps will be as well.

Hartigan out for the rest of the season.

Perch, O'Toole, Clarke, Harbottle, Boateng, Wallace have all been in and out due to injuries, and I wouldn't expect that to change.

Macca has not been the same player we've had previously as he hasn't looked anywhere near 100% fit.

Gordon couldn't defend if his life depended on it

Oates has taken time to get up to speed, another niggle with him or loss of form, we become toothless quite quickly.

Akins has been out injured and is supposedly our savioir when he returns....but he's been largely gash when he's been fit previously anyway bar one or two good performances.

Quinny has a lot of responsibility and I love him as a player, but we all know he's taken off between 60-70 mins every game as he's not getting any younger.

How he can say we don't need more numbers is truly beyond me?
How can some folk wonder why fans are getting restless when he's as uninspiring as that?

Madness.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tomwh » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:18 pm

His interviews are certainly getting harder and harder to listen to. Surely he, or at least someone in the staff, can see the absolutely desperate need for reinforcements at the back? Surely?
Tomwh
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:54 pm

Such an uninspiring interview.

But at the end of the day, none of this matters that much because we’re not going up regardless, we’re going to have a new manager this summer and the squad will look very, very different to what it is now.

Managers seldom survive when this many fans turn on him. Can see us needing to bring in 12 new players at least next summer under a new manager.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:03 pm

Has Elliott Hewitt signed a new deal or does his run out too this season?

Could have a situation next year where Hewitt leaves on a free in the summer and we stil have O’Toole.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:12 pm

Just a thought

I have no idea what JR is prepared to spend

But I would guess every Owner sets a budget on transfers

Maybe his budget fee/wages agreed for new players NC then spent on Hartigan, Boateng, Pym wages, and when pushed in the summer JR said ok one more in

That’s it. EG. The lad from Charlton

Then come January

Small squad, squad injuries , and both bought in the summer players getting injuries and money it’s costing club for the level of football expected but not achieved from both players. (Some may also include Pym)

JR reluctant to splash out again ? Or trust NC to get a quality player or two or three at the right price for their quality

Basically did NC possibly spend the budget on transfers/wages on x3 players and he’s now pleading for a bigger budget in January ?
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:59 pm

JR will back him as he always has done. I think we've probably missed out or looking at missing out on his main targets and now has to move onto others.

Freeman obviously on hold until Pompey get a new manager in.
Kilgour? If there's any truth in that one anyway but Exeter and Colch£st£r both interested.

I'd like to think all our targets are decent enough to have other clubs interested which means that business won't be done as early as everyone wants

I reckon he'll get 1 in this week but it won't be a defender
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:04 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:JR will back him as he always has done. I think we've probably missed out or looking at missing out on his main targets and now has to move onto others.

Freeman obviously on hold until Pompey get a new manager in.
Kilgour? If there's any truth in that one anyway but Exeter and Colch£st£r both interested.

I'd like to think all our targets are decent enough to have other clubs interested which means that business won't be done as early as everyone wants

I reckon he'll get 1 in this week but it won't be a defender

Honestly Think nigel dont want to change things too much not great news
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:29 pm

We now need a striker to compete with Oates. Yet again he missed 2/3 good chances yesterday. Maybe he’s low in confidence or still not totally recovered after injury, or regained full fitness but……….could it be the good patch pre/post Christmas last season was a one off period of excellent form. A player at his peak in confidence. ?

We need a main striker now in the window to compete with him. Maybe competition will bring out the best in him.

NC has stated enough times in post match interviews we had enough chances to win comfortably

And if us fans watching are honest. He’s right. Especially yesterday vs a poor Crewe side. Walsall springs to mind too. Even right back to pre Oates injury. Orient away …..etc etc

Oates knows he’s first on the team sheet if NC chooses not to play him and Swan together. Another player brought in specifically for the main forward role could be healthy to make Oates understand he’s got to fight for his place and do what he’s payed for. Take the chances. Instead of us only bring 1-0 up when we should be 3 or 4 and end up losing

Some excellent signings so far in January. Let’s hope an experienced proven Striker who has played in L1 L2 is brought in.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:48 pm

AshoverStag wrote:We now need a striker to compete with Oates. Yet again he missed 2/3 good chances yesterday. Maybe he’s low in confidence or still not totally recovered after injury, or regained full fitness but……….could it be the good patch pre/post Christmas last season was a one off period of excellent form. A player at his peak in confidence. ?

We need a main striker now in the window to compete with him. Maybe competition will bring out the best in him.

NC has stated enough times in post match interviews we had enough chances to win comfortably

And if us fans watching are honest. He’s right. Especially yesterday vs a poor Crewe side. Walsall springs to mind too. Even right back to pre Oates injury. Orient away …..etc etc

Oates knows he’s first on the team sheet if NC chooses not to play him and Swan together. Another player brought in specifically for the main forward role could be healthy to make Oates understand he’s got to fight for his place and do what he’s payed for. Take the chances. Instead of us only bring 1-0 up when we should be 3 or 4 and end up losing

Some excellent signings so far in January. Let’s hope an experienced proven Striker who has played in L1 L2 is brought in.

He's back tomorrow.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:03 pm

victor A block wrote:
AshoverStag wrote:We now need a striker to compete with Oates. Yet again he missed 2/3 good chances yesterday. Maybe he’s low in confidence or still not totally recovered after injury, or regained full fitness but……….could it be the good patch pre/post Christmas last season was a one off period of excellent form. A player at his peak in confidence. ?

Oates knows he’s first on the team sheet if NC chooses not to play him and Swan together. Another player brought in specifically for the main forward role could be healthy to make Oates understand he’s got to fight for his place and do what he’s prayed for. Take the chances. Instead of us only bring 1-0 up when we should be 3 or 4 and end up losing

He's back tomorrow.
That's good.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:21 pm

Great weve gone from blaming the defence to blaming oates
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:45 pm

Costastag wrote:Great weve gone from blaming the defence to blaming oates

We were toothless yesterday against a very poor side. To be fair all three strikers,
Oates, Bowery and Swan were poor. We missed Hawkins and Lapslie.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

We were toothless yesterday against a very poor side. To be fair all three strikers,

So and i will play devils advocate here who actually decided to sell them ,im not complaining because. We have imo improved our squad
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:53 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

How many times you gonna say that ?

Laps may have nicked a goal yesterday but we didn't miss Hawkins one bit. Up front or at the back.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Costastag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

So and i will play devils advocate here who actually decided to sell them ,im not complaining because. We have imo improved our squad

I don't think they wanted to sell either of them. Hawkins, according to NC was going to negotiate a new deal, but the money Gillingham offered him was too much to turn down. Lapslie wanted to move back down south. I suspect his wages have been enhanced.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum