{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Window

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:32 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Costastag wrote:Great weve gone from blaming the defence to blaming oates

We were toothless yesterday against a very poor side. To be fair all three strikers,
Oates, Bowery and Swan were poor. We missed Hawkins and Lapslie.

How many times you gonna say that ?

Laps may have nicked a goal yesterday but we didn't miss Hawkins one bit. Up front or at the back.
We missed Hawkins up front. I think he would have scored yesterday, given the crosses coming in. Unlike the forwards yesterday he isn't scared to shoot.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:36 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

We were toothless yesterday against a very poor side. To be fair all three strikers,

Laps may have nicked a goal yesterday but we didn't miss Hawkins one bit. Up front or at the back.
We missed Hawkins up front. I think he would have scored yesterday, given the crosses coming in. Unlike the forwards yesterday he isn't scared to shoot.

In a position to shoot last week inside the box he turned the change down and tried to square the ball. There was no problem with lack of shots yesterday, just poor finishing and good goalkeeping.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:03 pm

So far it looks like every player that has been sold has been replaced by a better player
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:38 pm

wardy12345 wrote:So far it looks like every player that has been sold has been replaced by a better player

I think we can see due to the type and age of players being brought in that the end.of season cull/rebuild is starting now.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:57 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
wardy12345 wrote:So far it looks like every player that has been sold has been replaced by a better player

I think we can see due to the type and age of players being brought in that the end.of season cull/rebuild is starting now.

Which kinda begs the question, what the hell were we doing in the summer.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:01 pm

Sneag wrote:

Clough must have thought he'd get another season out of the team to get us up then rebuild from League One, I guess it's been fairly obvious that it was a step too far for a few, so the rebuild is starting half a season ahead of the probable plan - I think he said in the Summer that they'd got their eye on Boateng and Pym as League One players but got them as they were available then. He did say that they were preparing to talk to Hawkins about a new contract, so whilst the 3 players in are all around 25 (and one 25 year old out), Hawkins will have been 32 when signing a new one
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:53 pm

On paper it does.

After last season with Murphy, Akins and Longstaff though, you could have said the same there.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:25 pm

Sneag wrote:

We missed out on 3 targets in the summer.

2 of them have now signed.

Maybe you missed Johnsons comment of "I nearly came in the summer' on his ifollow interview?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:31 pm

Clough quoted as saying Reed a direct replacement for Hartigan given his injury. Happy with that, think Reed will be better/more mobile if he can stay fit.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:02 pm

broomo wrote:
Sneag wrote:

We missed out on 3 targets in the summer.

2 of them have now signed.

Maybe you missed Johnsons comment of "I nearly came in the summer' on his ifollow interview?

I haven't watched it.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:08 pm

So far we have not signed a striker to replace Hawkins. I don't know how you can judge the new players yet, especially as one has only played ten minutes and one hasn't yet played at all. Hawkins has always been a threat at corners even when playing centre half. Despite many corners and crosses yesterday our forwards looked lost.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:21 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

In a position to shoot last week inside the box he turned the change down and tried to square the ball. There was no problem with lack of shots yesterday, just poor finishing and good goalkeeping.

Like I said the strikers were toothless yesterday. In one attack alone Bowery had three chances to shoot and decided not to. I can't recall one shot from Swan. Oates doesn't seem the same player post injury. To be fair to him, he is probably still recovering from it. I don't think it was the plan to sell Hawkins. I think the Gillingham bid has come as a surprise.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:06 pm

Swan was on the pitch for five minutes before we went down to ten men.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26 am

Harry McKirdy anyone ? :lol:

To link up with Reed

Not scored for Hibs I don’t think.

I know he’s been rumoured as potentially a pain to handle, and rumoured to be possible a bit of a troll on Social media and could possibly cause drama but

Maybe NC could manage him

He is the type of player that would suit us in my opinion. A little speed, creative, and not just a poacher.

Id take him over Dom Telford any day. (Who’s having a nightmare at Crawley) and a lot of goals come from penalties and more of a poacher. He’d be another DJ scenario…… too risky

But McKirdy a bit like Nichols but more goals for Swindon

might relish linking up with Reed
Last edited by AshoverStag on Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby zod » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:36 am

AshoverStag wrote:Harry McKirdy anyone ? :lol:

To link up with Reed

I know he’s been rumoured as potentially a pain to handle, and rumoured to be possible a bit of a troll on Social media and could possibly cause drama but

He is the type of player that would suit us in my opinion. A little speed, creative, and not just a poacher. Id take him over Dom Telford any day. (Who’s having a nightmare at Crawley) and a lot of goals come from penalties and more of a poacher. He’d be another DJ scenario

As annoying as he is, I did think he looked like a threat when he played against us at home.
He's got the pace and skill but is it worth upsetting the dressing room?
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:01 am

zod wrote:
AshoverStag wrote:Harry McKirdy anyone ? :lol:

To link up with Reed

He is the type of player that would suit us in my opinion. A little speed, creative, and not just a poacher. Id take him over Dom Telford any day. (Who’s having a nightmare at Crawley) and a lot of goals come from penalties and more of a poacher. He’d be another DJ scenario

As annoying as he is, I did think he looked like a threat when he played against us at home.
He's got the pace and skill but is it worth upsetting the dressing room?

From what I could piece together I think it was more his behaviour in general, not sure he ever upset the Swindon dressing room directly……..other than bans from playing lol where he was out the team …hence may have annoyed his colleagues if they saw it as avoidable
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:23 am

He also called our ground a craphole. No thanks.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:55 am

Happy with the 3 lads who have signed.Reed is highly rated by the Swindon fans.Will have to wait and see how he performs.The squad will be a lot stronger now.Ship Bowery and Gordon out and I will be happy.We played well against Crewe a game we should have won.A long way to go we should make the playoffs at least.I hope Nigel signs another contract.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:37 pm

[quote="AshoverStag"]Harry McKirdy anyone ? :lol:

To link up with Reed

He is the type of player that would suit us in my opinion. A little speed, creative, and not just a poacher.

Id take him over Dom Telford any day. (Who’s having a nightmare at Crawley) and a lot of goals come from penalties and more of a poacher. He’d be another DJ scenario…… too risky
If nigel ALLEGEDLY,cant manage danny johnson ,he wont have a cat in hells chance with mckirdy :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:20 pm

Im absolutely elated by the calibre of the 3 signings but it's worrying that people seem to think they are enough....we needed three before anything happened last week and with Hartigan out for the season apparently we have only maintained the status quo of where we were a week ago....agreed if Danny Johnson comes back then that's like a new signing too but please let's not sit on our laurels
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby grufti » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:44 pm

I think we need at least two more quality signings
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:16 pm

;) It's gone quiet again, we want more , Tick Tock ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:19 pm

Looking at some of the wage amounts published in Chad, can we afford anyone else?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:21 pm

oldweststander wrote:Looking at some of the wage amounts published in Chad, can we afford anyone else?

Ho dear see what you mean

https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/r ... es-3991985
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:23 pm

I’d be knocking on the managers door if I were Elliot Hewitt lol
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext