{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

January Transfer Window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: January Transfer Window

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:29 am

Amber Andy wrote:
zod wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:Theo Robinson has left Hartlepool after being there six weeks.

Dodged a bullet there then.
Yes.

Hartlepool United
On 13 October 2022, Robinson had signed for League Two side Hartlepool United.[91] Interim manager Keith Curle said that "Theo is a player we've tried signing before and he's turned down other offers to join".[92] Robinson left the club on 26 November 2022, with Curle stating that: "Theo is no longer with us. It was my choice."[93]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Robinson
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:31 pm

stag324 wrote:I just wonder if NC is thinking sign Stirk and move Clarke to centre back?

Would be a weird move. Just sign a defender, instead of converting a perfectly good midfielder whose main asset is getting around the pitch to a defender.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

January Transfer Window

Postby Johnny H » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:37 pm

The first thing NC needs to decide is what formation we are going to play
352?, 442 Wide Men?, 442 Diamond?, 451?, 433?.

Then he needs to sign players to suit and strengthen that formation.

Too many times in the last few months we are playing 2, 3 or even 4 different formations in the same game, and mainly change to suit the personnel being brought on / changes being made (ala yesterdays bizarre change when Harbottle went off and Hartigan came on)

Personally, unless we sign a commanding centre half then we need to play 352 as we are not good enough for a flat back four.
But we have to play 2 up top, Lapslie is not a striker and cannot play off or in behind Oates, its not Oates game to hold the ball up, he needs help.

For me, we need a new RB and a CH.....we also need to give Law and Gale a proper chance, they would perform far better than some of the more experienced pros are doing.

C'Mon Nigel, prove us wrong as there are far too many supporters starting to have the same opinion of you as me......
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:20 pm

Johnny H wrote:The first thing NC needs to decide is what formation we are going to play
352?, 442 Wide Men?, 442 Diamond?, 451?, 433?.

Then he needs to sign players to suit and strengthen that formation.

Too many times in the last few months we are playing 2, 3 or even 4 different formations in the same game, and mainly change to suit the personnel being brought on / changes being made (ala yesterdays bizarre change when Harbottle went off and Hartigan came on)

Personally, unless we sign a commanding centre half then we need to play 352 as we are not good enough for a flat back four.
But we have to play 2 up top, Lapslie is not a striker and cannot play off or in behind Oates, its not Oates game to hold the ball up, he needs help.

For me, we need a new RB and a CH.....we also need to give Law and Gale a proper chance, they would perform far better than some of the more experienced pros are doing.

C'Mon Nigel, prove us wrong as there are far too many supporters starting to have the same opinion of you as me......
Need at least 2 centre halfs and two full backs or wing backs as first choice starters urgently. The midfield and forwards are ok if we pick the correct formation. Our number 3 stank.out the place yesterday. Kept giving the ball away in midfield areas which ultimately killed us. Get the defence sorted and we will be fine but needs a total overall in January. Probably keep Hewitt if pushed but the rest are not good enough.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:42 pm

If we’re playing 2 similar head-down players like Oates and Swan up front then we need a link up player (I hesitate to say the word ‘architect’), there was a massive gap between the front two and our midfield in the 2nd half yesterday, there’s no point having those 2 up top and the rest of the midfielders sitting as it just ends up getting hit up front to them and mopped up by big centre halves. Nicholls would be perfect for that role.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:42 pm

why Clough keeps picking Gordon .. he's dire & certainly the weakest link in our back line .
.. BUT he's not on his own , around 4 want bining !!
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby oldweststander » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Eastern Green Stag wrote:why Clough keeps picking Gordon .. he's dire & certainly the weakest link in our back line .

Hard to disagree with that, Gordon is a very poor defender or an inconsistent crosser of a football when attacking.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Young021 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:40 pm

Eastern Green Stag wrote:why Clough keeps picking Gordon .. he's dire & certainly the weakest link in our back line .

Gordon’s been no worse than macca this season…
Young021
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Johnny H » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:50 pm

I know we are linked with Kieran Freeman and I was recently told that Ryan Stirk was very much still on the radar and another young Forest defender named Aaron Donnelly had been watched a few times.
We obvs came close to signing the young lad from Charlton in August but that would mean a huge shift in formation from NC to fit him in.

Nicols is set to join Colchester and Rodrigues is in fine form at Clownty......

Are we linked to anyone else ?
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:59 pm

Young021 wrote:

He was far better than Macca yesterday
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby wardy12345 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:01 pm

I think this transfer window we need to ship out Perch, Wallace, Hartigan, Akins, Boateng, Gordon and otool

the biggest disappointments are Hartigan and Boateng who just seem to be here for the money and put little effort in. The rest just aren’t up to league football even though they try.

I’d say this transfer window is the most important window in years.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:03 pm

The posts on here just get better...... :lol:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:10 pm

wardy12345 wrote:I think this transfer window we need to ship out Perch, Wallace, Hartigan, Akins, Boateng, Gordon and otool

the biggest disappointments are Hartigan and Boateng who just seem to be here for the money and put little effort in. The rest just aren’t up to league football even though they try.

I’d say this transfer window is the most important window in years.

That's not going to happen. Clough said no big overhauls or changes. Law/Gale will probably go on loan, Johnson will leave and we'll get two or three in is my prediction
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:39 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:The posts on here just get better...... :lol:

Amazing how opinions differ ain’t it. Boateng and Akins are ok imo. I seriously don’t think we need to change too much…midfield isn’t bad at all. Definitely need a good CB or two. Then play Hewitt RB.
Oates isn’t a striker but needs a good striker with him.
Lapslie could be Derby bound so might need cover there. I’d say 3-4 in and the same out. Hartigan certainly isn’t up to it yet imo but I think Boateng will get better with a good run. We need Clarke starting with Maris.
Also whatever they work on in training isn’t obviously being transferred to the game day…something isn’t right there!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:53 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if Laps leaves. How informed is the Derby rumour?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby AlanStag » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:58 pm

We need a couple of wingers/forward players especially if Bowery leaves as has been rumoured. Arguably if Freeman comes this may free up Gordon or Macca to move further up the pitch into a more natural position for them. We would also have Oates and Akins capable of moving wider as and when needed.

We often play Quinn wide on the left however it leaves us severely limited as the opposition can happily push high up against him knowing he doesn't have the legs/pace to get behind them. At the same time it means we have to hold the play up and play 2/3 extra passes to make up for the lack of pace, at which point the opposition have got players behind the ball. Not mentioning Quinn is absolutely no goal threat around the box which again limits us when he takes up an attacking role in the side. Quinn is best in a central role, he is frankly too old to play a wide role effectively over a season.
AlanStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Shep » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:10 pm

Marky Mark wrote:If we’re playing 2 similar head-down players like Oates and Swan up front then we need a link up player (I hesitate to say the word ‘architect’), there was a massive gap between the front two and our midfield in the 2nd half yesterday, there’s no point having those 2 up top and the rest of the midfielders sitting as it just ends up getting hit up front to them and mopped up by big centre halves. Nicholls would be perfect for that role.

Iv been saying for a while now we don’t have the creative player needed to play the formation. We played it well in 18/19 because Mellis fit the role perfectly. We don’t have that player that can make something out of nothing.
Shep
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Grendon Stag » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:24 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:The posts on here just get better...... :lol:

There's some proper whoppers on here and every week we seem to attract more!! Think I preferred it when we were getting crowds of 3000.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:38 pm

Isaac Olaofe from Millwall. ;)
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:50 pm

from Subject: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2022-2023

Martin Shaw wrote:
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm

That's that one scuppered.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:34 am

arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:41 am

yorkstag wrote:Wouldn’t surprise me if Laps leaves. How informed is the Derby rumour?

Derby also linked with Cheaterfield's £1m striker. Arn't they still under a transfer embargo ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby eggy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:17 am

Derby are not on the EFL embargo list. https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/embargoes

It was reported in July that:

Derby have to work with the EFL when it comes to signing new players and re-registering those out of contract but they are not under a specific embargo. It is more a 'business plan' which Derby will have to stick to and will involve things like a cap on wages and transfer fees that can be paid to sign players.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/ ... fl-7312028
eggy
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:29 am

Young021 wrote:

he's one of the 4 that want releasing
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum