{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Elliott Hewitt

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Elliott Hewitt

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:28 am

Worth his own thread. Another top class display today (apart from that shot!). My player of the year so far, by a country mile, he's about as good as it gets at our level and the first name on my team sheet. Proper footballer.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Elliott Hewitt

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:48 am

Proper hero arc almost. Was hated last season in the first half and has since gone on to be a important player. Glad he's doing well.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Calstag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:40 am

Had an awful start to his Mtfc career…. And has since gone on to be not only the “most improved of a bad bunch” to be mr consistent most times he plays

It was between Hewitt and harbottle for my mom today
Calstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:16 am

He seems to be the most improved player this season thats for certain. He puts some great crosses in and gets some timely tackles in at the back. He seems a good lad too. :mtfc:
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:57 am

I wonder if Clough will extend his contract ? ..... maybe he's not old enough yet!!!
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby five to three » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:25 am

Eastern Green Stag wrote:I wonder if Clough will extend his contract ? ..... maybe he's not old enough yet!!!

Need to extend Hewitt and Lapslie's contracts. Can't they change their names to Perch and O'Toole?
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Ralphy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:50 am

five to three wrote:
Eastern Green Stag wrote:I wonder if Clough will extend his contract ? ..... maybe he's not old enough yet!!!

Need to extend Hewitt and Lapslie's contracts. Can't they change their names to Perch and O'Toole?

Maybe they have been offered and they haven’t accepted yet? Let’s be fair we didn’t see the extensions of Maris and Clarke coming until they were announced.
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wardy12345 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:03 am

He’s done really well after a dreadful start to his time at the stags mind he did come from two relegation sides it might have taken him some time to get his confidence back.
wardy12345
First Team
First Team

Postby pemill » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:48 am

I remember when we signed him his was written off before he even kicked a ball because he'd been part of a relegation side.

Very consistent and offers a threat down the right hand side whilst doing his defensive duties very well.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:50 am

pemill wrote:I remember when we signed him his was written off before he even kicked a ball because he'd been part of a relegation side.

Very consistent and offers a threat down the right hand side whilst doing his defensive duties very well.

I don’t think it’s unique to our club but we do have a section of fans who are very good at writing off players before they’ve kicked a ball for us, same happened with Will Swan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:56 am

He has improved greatly. Good to see.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:08 am

Definitely my player of the season so far .... and gets a great cross in ...
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:09 am

Oladamber66 wrote:Definitely my player of the season so far .... and gets a great cross in ...

He certainly does when played in his proper position, as he was yesterday. As others have said its important he and Lapslie are signed for next season, they are promotion quality and would equally be good enough in league 1 should we go up.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:56 am

Lovely to see that even on a positive thread you can still get a dig in.

Same as on the matchday thread. Half a dozen of you just can't resist having a pop or come close to giving a bit of credit where it's due.

Must have been devastating for those of you that way inclined, especially with it being Akins who got the winner.

7th and our points tally would see us in 4th in any of the other league tables in the country.

Still, we only win ''cos the opposition are rubbish and we lose 'cos we're rubbish. Love it.

*edited to add I agree with Rob 100%, on the whole Elliott has been brilliant this season. I'm pretty sure I was one of those saying I'd be happy if he didn't start again after Walsall away last season and I'm so pleased I was proven to be a total idiot on that one.

He's gone from there to being one of the players I pray to see on the team sheet before kick off. Either at right back or centre half he's been as solid as a rock.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:53 pm

Sometimes better to say nowt
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Warsop Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Totally agree Rob, Elliot is worth his weight in gold. Whether at centre-half or right back (his best position, IMO) his performances have been consistently good this season and he’s my player of the year too.

Calm on the ball, good in the air and with a lovely right foot, he’d be my first name on the team sheet every week.
Warsop Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:59 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:He seems to be the most improved player this season thats for certain. He puts some great crosses in and gets some timely tackles in at the back. He seems a good lad too. :mtfc:

He is a fantastic lad & im so pleased for him as he’s had so much unfair criticism from our fans & those down the A60 over the years. If Rawson can play in League one then so can Elliott.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:05 am

He's is a good lad and a good player.

I could be mis-remembering (still recovering from illness that saw me unable to attend Saturday so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) but he scored a great header from a corner vs Colchester(?) in his first start(?) then nearly scored again the same way but it was a great save from their keeper. During that game he was regularly left 2 on 1 by Clarke not covering prompting Nigel to question him publicly. After this his confidence took a hit and moved to CB alongside Nartey - at a time when we were short of central defender options.

Hewitt is a good player. He's hardly set a foot wrong all season. Long may it continue.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:30 am

Just put on another thread he would ideal as RWB , energetic great crosser of the ball and good positional sense...

Him and Macca bombing up and down each wing would be as good as Wilson and Cadden at FGR from last year for me.

If O 'Toole had not done a Bishop and aged 20 years over the summer I feel he would be there now.

Just need a new CB in to allow him to move but NC says we don't need one so looks like it won't happen.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:53 am

gazza1988 wrote:He's is a good lad and a good player.

I could be mis-remembering (still recovering from illness that saw me unable to attend Saturday so PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong) but he scored a great header from a corner vs Colchester(?) in his first start(?) then nearly scored again the same way but it was a great save from their keeper. During that game he was regularly left 2 on 1 by Clarke not covering prompting Nigel to question him publicly. After this his confidence took a hit and moved to CB alongside Nartey - at a time when we were short of central defender options.

Hewitt is a good player. He's hardly set a foot wrong all season. Long may it continue.

It wasn’t a corner it was a cross but yes he scored from a header away at Colchester.

The criticism came in the follow game at home to Bradford when Clough accused him of being too matey with Charles Vernam who had formerly been teammates with.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:08 am

Hewitt worst performance last season was Walsall away when he got bullied and humiliated by a kid. One of the first names on the team sheet for me now though.

He was sold short in the Bradford game, they started to overloaded his side and Clough did nothing about it, Hewitt was left on his own.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:32 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

It wasn’t a corner it was a cross but yes he scored from a header away at Colchester.

The criticism came in the follow game at home to Bradford when Clough accused him of being too matey with Charles Vernam who had formerly been teammates with.

It was close enough :D

Yeah I remember the accusations. Also remember the goal we conceded. It was a great finish. He was afforded room because Hewitt was 1 on 2 and couldn't commit to either. Vernam cut inside and finished well.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:43 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

It was close enough :D

Yeah I remember the accusations. Also remember the goal we conceded. It was a great finish. He was afforded room because Hewitt was 1 on 2 and couldn't commit to either. Vernam cut inside and finished well.

It all went wrong at that Bradford game because Maris had to go off injured,

His replacement was Stirk who positioned himself in the centre with Ollie Clarke and no one was positioned in front of Hewitt to help him out. Personally I would have put on Gordon instead of Stirk to fill the gap left by Maris’ departure.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum