{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Owls FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Raise Our Game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Owls FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Raise Our Game

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:01 pm

The form of O'Toole and Perch presents a problem along with the absence of McLaughlin and now Page. Add to that Clarke. As I said in my report, important that Harbottle isn't injured. Clough hoping that McLaughlin and Page each play 45 minutes on Wednesday. I'm worried about O'Toole and Perch, I think we could do with another pacy central defender in January.

And another striker of course, which we nearly got in August.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:34 pm

Perch and O'Toole are such a liabilty at the back with their lack of pace. Opposition players don't even have to do much other than kick it past them and run.

We need two defenders with a bit of youth and running ability for me.

Perch and O'Toole can always step in as defensive midfielders if required where they are less of a defensive liability if players breeze past them.

I'm still surprised Law hasn't been tried out in the left side position yet.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:47 pm

part time pete wrote:Is it just that Swan is the Jonah when starting, that we always seem to lose. ;)

He started against Stockport and we won. Won on penalties against Derby in the B Team Pizza Trophy. We were drawing when he went off yesterday. :lol:

His record's not great though

Started 11 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 9
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:52 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
part time pete wrote:Is it just that Swan is the Jonah when starting, that we always seem to lose. ;)

He started against Stockport and we won. Won on penalties against Derby in the B Team Pizza Trophy. We were drawing when he went off yesterday. :lol:

His record's not great though

Started 11 Won 1 Drawn 1 Lost 9

Better that Gareth Bale 's record at Spurs.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:54 pm

Swan played very well yesterday I thought. He would start every game if it was up to me.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:55 pm

Spiritater wrote:Analysing the 2nd for Weds shows that lack of desire needed to get goal side of Smith by Hewitt. Glaring mistake by him just jogging back like that.

I blame Kellan Gordon more. I think a better defender would have had a better body position and would have headed Bannon's ball away. Kellan Gordon is not comfortable heading the ball. He does not look to attack the ball and head it away. He's happier to let it bounce. He did the same late on at Rochdale.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:39 pm

Gordon had a good game offensively but unfortunately he has no idea how to defend, he’s too much of a risk to play.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:53 pm

Conker wrote:Gordon had a good game offensively but unfortunately he has no idea how to defend, he’s too much of a risk to play.

If we could play with 12 players with someone covering his defensive duties then he’d be ok.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:02 pm

zod wrote:
Conker wrote:Gordon had a good game offensively but unfortunately he has no idea how to defend, he’s too much of a risk to play.

If we could play with 12 players with someone covering his defensive duties then he’d be ok.

Or if we could play him at RWB with a RCB covering for him that'd work too. Or play him as a winger.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Yesterday we played wing backs but with a back four or just two centre backs.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby S7AGS » Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:28 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
S7AGS wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Sneag wrote:Hewitt & Gordon both put in huge shifts yesterday, there was no lack of desire in the last 15 minutes, just a lack of fuel in the tank.

I wouldn't score any of the starting 11 below a 7 yesterday.

I thought Akins, Hewitt, Maris, Lapslie & Quinn were all excellent.

My only complaint yesterday would have been the timing of the subs. Tough to make changes when we were playing well, but fresh legs in midfield attack before the equaliser may have prevented the attack from building in the 1st place.

That was my main gripe really. You could see we were starting to look leggy, and as soon as they started to throw on fresh legs, it should have prompted Nigel to do the same just to see the result out.
Quinny hardly ever completes a full 90, so I was expecting him to be taken off at around the same time Wednesday started to change it. I was shocked he did the full game in the end.

I’ve noticed this trait in Clough tactics… for me when playing well against a good side controlling the game, when they make changes you have to react and make equal changes to stop the impetus moving to the opposition… clough seems to let it happen and then makes the changes when opposition scores… i said yesterday when bannan came on we needed changes fast or it’ll be a long last 15…not rocket science. Letting them score before changes way too late…they cheered like they’d scored when bannan and the striker came on that should have been the warning

Who would you have brought on to counter Bannan and Smith? Clarke I would argue but he wasn't available.

I don’t think there was a logical defensive change so agree with you to an extent, my point was more about combatting the swing in impetus that was happening by bringing on pace in Oates… otherwise as we know all too well, we would buckle under relentless pressure, defend from the front or whatever you want to call it. I would have taken Swan or Akins off as both were ineffective at they point especially Akins
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:51 pm

Did ourselves proud yesterday and we did raise our game, but their subs made the difference.
We now have the league to concentrate on.

We also need a new fredder for our match on Wednesday against Everton u21. ;) :D
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:50 pm

One thing I take away from yesterday is that we need to get rid of the five at the back formation. At least where we are lining up to win the game. We don’t have the centre halves to fill the three and we don’t have wing backs who can play like that.
We much better suit a back four with a midfielder providing cover in front of each full back.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:56 pm

NEStag wrote:One thing I take away from yesterday is that we need to get rid of the five at the back formation. At least where we are lining up to win the game. We don’t have the centre halves to fill the three and we don’t have wing backs who can play like that.
We much better suit a back four with a midfielder providing cover in front of each full back.

not to mention it leaves us wanting two CBs instead of one in January
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:18 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
NEStag wrote:One thing I take away from yesterday is that we need to get rid of the five at the back formation. At least where we are lining up to win the game. We don’t have the centre halves to fill the three and we don’t have wing backs who can play like that.

not to mention it leaves us wanting two CBs instead of one in January

Clough is not happy with the amount of chances created and not converted ( his doing in my opinion) so wouldn’t be surprised to see a goal scorer in this window arrive .
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:25 pm

How long is Clarke out for , having missed last couple of games?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:47 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:I’m not impressed with Moor’s post match comments and thought him very stingy and failing to give any of the credit we deserved. It could be down to the editing but he sounded very entitled.

I have just listened to the full Darren Moore interview on BBC Radio Sheffield on Praise or Grumble after the game. Darren Moore starts his interview by giving Mansfield credit and said we countered very well and used the ball well in Wednesday's half and that Nigel Clough will be annoyed that we were not ruthless enough. He says he really did not want to use his subs but he was forced into it due to them losing the game. He later says Mansfield played really well but Wednesday were efficient and managed to dig in and stay in the game and it was just two bits of brilliant play that won them the game.

The BBC Radio Sheffield reporter starts off by saying that Wednesday got out of jail free. He also points out that Wednesday's wide players struggled. Three Wednesday fans phone in and say Mansfield could have been 3-0 up at half time. One of them says that Elliott Hewitt had Jack Hunt on toast.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0ddzxdj
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Alex Mighten was particularly poor for Wednesday I thought.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm

I agree Sam. Kellan Gordon went past Alex Mighten very easily to get crosses in and he did very little going forward.

I had to laugh when some Wednesday fans thought Kellan Gordon was very dirty and was fouling Alex Mighten.

They also thought George Lapslie kept diving.

Wednesday fans were very rattled by our team and fans. We definitely got under their skin. It was a shame Stephen Quinn could not have scored the winner at the end of the 1st half. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:48 pm

Was crying out for 3 sub change when we were 1-0 still

Even my Wife thought so, and she’d gone to a game as a one off

Id have brought on Oates (hit on the break) and then 2 defenders or 1 defensive midfielder

I see points made by some walking away after the game. We did not take our chances but for me it was a bit of both. Missed chances, and NC leaving subs too late.

77 minutes and we could have brought into the game an in form Wallace earlier than he joined the game

Even Hartigan

Bowery for Gordon to deal with crosses in the air

Oates for Akins

So frustrating, I kept turning to friends and saying at 70 mins on. We need subs on

Just after the last time I said come on NC make a change, they score
Last edited by AshoverStag on Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I agree Sam. Kellan Gordon went past Alex Mighten very easily to get crosses in and he did very little going forward.

I had to laugh when some Wednesday fans thought Kellan Gordon was very dirty and was fouling Alex Mighten.

They also thought George Lapslie kept diving.

Wednesday fans were very rattled by our team and fans. We definitely got under their skin. It was a shame Stephen Quinn could not have scored the winner at the end of the 1st half. :lol:

To be fair, Lapslie did keep diving. He seems to have added that to his game this season, riling the opposition fans.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:03 pm

:D

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:07 pm

my only criticism was the the timing the subs came on, should have been made at 70 mins imo
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:33 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:To be fair, Lapslie did keep diving. He seems to have added that to his game this season, riling the opposition fans.

The new Danny Rose!

Danny Rose has scored 8 goals to George Lapslie's 7
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:45 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:To be fair, Lapslie did keep diving. He seems to have added that to his game this season, riling the opposition fans.

The new Danny Rose!

Danny Rose has scored 8 goals to George Lapslie's 7

He seems to have developed a bit of a temper in a game, must be Quinn's influence - I thought he was going to get himself in trouble in the first half when he went over for what he thought was a penalty, he ran past the ref and clearly said something to him as the ref called him back and told him to calm down, then he ran straight over to one of their players at a throw him and threw himself to the floor.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum