{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Just a side note

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Just a side note

Postby Weststandupper stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:08 pm

I don't know what else he could have done with the team. Hewitt could not start, Laps could not start neither Swann or Oates. Maybe this should be considered.
Having said that the defending from professional footballers was abysmal. As was the lack of urgency after half time.
Last edited by Weststandupper stag on Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weststandupper stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Just a side note

Postby Nutty Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:13 pm

It's easy for him to use that excuse but who is the person responsible for the small squad?
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:16 pm

Nutty Stag wrote:It's easy for him to use that excuse but who is the person responsible for the small squad?

Been saying this all season, we had a shocking summer of signings and it’s costing us big now.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby chris wilson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:17 pm

Weststandupper stag wrote:I don't know what else he could have done with the team. Hewitt could not start, Laps could not start neither Swann or Oates. Maybe this should be considered.
Having said that the defending from professional footballers was abysmal. As was the lack of urgency after half time.

Recruited enough players for a league 2 campaign?
chris wilson
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Recruitment was mostly twilight players .. on the cheap !
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:33 pm

His players,his formation ,his lack of signings in the summer. Time he was held to account.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby trenty » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:48 pm

Small squad
Ageing squad
Blame NC
What if his budget was reduced
Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes
Is it NC fault
Is it Radfords fault
Is it the CEO fault
Everyone was raving about O’Tool last year is it NC fault that he is now not interested since he got his contract
NC was not to know Quinny’s legs would go or that Perch would suddenly over night lose form
Loads of different factors have got us in this bad spell of results
Funding
Recruitment
Injuries
Bad management at times
Know Iam not a happy clapper but for a so called geriatric manager we are still 8 th in the league
Let’s see if NC gets the funding in the January transfer market and take it from there
Then if come the end of the season we are still in this so could mess take stock of the situation
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagsfan6493 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:52 pm

trenty wrote:Small squad
Ageing squad
Blame NC
What if his budget was reduced
Nobody knows what goes on behind the scenes
Is it NC fault
Is it Radfords fault
Is it the CEO fault
Everyone was raving about O’Tool last year is it NC fault that he is now not interested since he got his contract
NC was not to know Quinny’s legs would go or that Perch would suddenly over night lose form
Loads of different factors have got us in this bad spell of results
Funding
Recruitment
Injuries
Bad management at times
Know Iam not a happy clapper but for a so called geriatric manager we are still 8 th in the league
Let’s see if NC gets the funding in the January transfer market and take it from there
Then if come the end of the season we are still in this so could mess take stock of the situation

Terrible post
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby trenty » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:58 pm

You welcome
trenty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Weststandupper stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:41 pm

Sorry I may have not made this clear enough. I think we are a centre half short in terms of squad depth. My point is that with the players we had I don't know what else he could have done. However as I said some of the defending was diabolical.
Also we have tried a big squad before and I don't think it worked. There seemed to be little sprit so I don't think signing multiple plays is the answer. Just one centre half
Weststandupper stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby scotsstag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:57 pm

Weststandupper stag wrote:Sorry I may have not made this clear enough. I think we are a centre half short in terms of squad depth. My point is that with the players we had I don't know what else he could have done. However as I said some of the defending was diabolical.
Also we have tried a big squad before and I don't think it worked. There seemed to be little sprit so I don't think signing multiple plays is the answer. Just one centre half

You don't think we need a decent striker?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:47 pm

We've had decent strikers. Clough has a penchant for falling out with them, for reasons known only to himself.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:52 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:We've had decent strikers. Clough has a penchant for falling out with them, for reasons known only to himself.

If you mean Cook and Johnson they were hardly prolific for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:38 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:We've had decent strikers. Clough has a penchant for falling out with them, for reasons known only to himself.

Or putting them in defence.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:40 pm

Dan wrote:

To be fair,I can't remember Cook or Johnson playing as defenders for us.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:45 pm

Amber Andy wrote:

Did they get a fair crack at it though?
Look how much dross Akins serves up and still plays almost every game and the full 90 at that if available.
Why weren't the other two afforded the same chance ?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:47 pm

scotsstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Look how much dross Akins serves up and still plays almost every game and the full 90 at that if available.
Cook never looked fit when he played for us. Johnson never looked bothered. Although Akins has been a disappointment he has always looked fit and put the effort in.
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:51 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:

I was talking about Hawkins.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:53 pm

Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:

Oh. I can' recall NC falling out with Hawkins ?
Last edited by Amber Andy on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:54 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
scotsstag wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Cook never looked fit when he played for us. Johnson never looked bothered in my opinion.

Don't think Cook has looked particularly fit anywhere he's played, he's just got that sort of physique.
Johnson got the odd 10 minute sub appearance from the man that actually signed him so although I don't agree he didn't look bothered, motivation must have been pretty low.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Dan wrote:

Oh. I can' recall NC falling out with Hawkins ?

:lol: Are you doing it on purpose!? I didn't say he'd fallen out with him. I just said that he was one of the decent strikers we'd signed and now he's being played in defence.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:21 pm

Dan, sometimes these threads get too serious. I'm just trying to lighten things up a bit. Fair play to you for seeing the funny side of things. And yes we were poor today.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagspur » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:15 am

His squad management and assembly is terrible, and Mr Sharp recruitment is no better , Hartigan Longstaff Murphy awful
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:36 am

Stagspur wrote:His squad management and assembly is terrible, and Mr Sharp recruitment is no better , Hartigan Longstaff Murphy awful

In fairness the majority of fans were ecstatic at the capture of Longstaff and that it would be the signing to complete the team based on his immediate impact at Newcastle. The problem was that, along with Murphy, the manager continued to play them come what may and leave our club captain on the bench for the last quarter of the season irrespective of how dire they were and had turned out to be.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:42 pm

We've needed 2 agile strong central defenders for 2 years. We needed at least 1 quality striker and possibly 2 if he knew he was moving Johnson out.
Instead we have enough midfielders for the division, barely anyone who can kick the ball with their left foot and an ageing slow squad.
Recruitment has been shocking. And I include our CEO in the criticism of that.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum