{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Should we extend Clough’s contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Should we extend Clough’s contract

Postby Big yella » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:31 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:
broomo wrote:
Suttonian wrote:
broomo wrote:I'm sure I'll feel better in a couple of weeks but right now I'm starting to not care if he renews or not and it's not down to the fact I think he's not up to the job.

I'm not enjoying the experience of coming on here anymore, the constant whiners currently have ammunition to slate him, but they've always done that and too many others turn too quickly.

I'm sure there'll be a lot of responses saying you lot aren't enjoying his management style either, so all in all maybe a fresh face and new manager would be best for fans all round. Proper and temporary.

So, you're saying that you think he's out of his depth?

This is where I repeat my post about me being careful about different posters having different intelligence levels.

Insulting others views and its only your views what count .

The only good point of Clough leaving would be you and bear disappearing over the horizon.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:37 am

Amen
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Kernow » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:55 pm

Need to stabilise, too many mistakes over the years. Let him finish the job.
Kernow
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:58 pm

Kernow wrote:Need to stabilise, too many mistakes over the years. Let him finish the job.

Agreed, as i correctly pointed out the other night all you’ve got to do is to look at the previous 2 managers to realise that chopping and changing wouldn’t work and we’ve got to stick with someone from longer (maybe a bit of a lesson learnt myself also) i can’t see what we’d gain from it.

Maybe there should be a more frank discussion between manager and owners about transfer activity though as it’s been frankly dire under clough.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Personally think the stability thing is a bit of a myth, but that’s not a reason not to give Clough a new contract. Should purely be based on whether objectives are reached and the reasons surrounding why.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:52 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Personally think the stability thing is a bit of a myth, but that’s not a reason not to give Clough a new contract. Should purely be based on whether objectives are reached and the reasons surrounding why.

There have been a few studies into it. This one from the early 00s is out of date as football has changed so much https://www.professormarkvanvugt.com/images/files/DoesStabilityFosterTeamPerformance.pdf

But this one from a few years ago looks at the impact of squad stability https://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/mr34en.pdf

I disagree in that i think stability is important but it is because changing managers reduces the stability within a club. Removing a manager and promoting from within can work well by keeping the squad or it can lead to the disastrous experiment with John Dempster. So the point for me is whether the stability is predicated on maintained a largely positive movement. Clough is as frustrating as hell and makes it hard to champion him at times but things are largely moving forwards well particularly when his small squad is fully fit
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:45 pm

I think it can help but not the be all and end all. For example, three of four managers promoted last season were in their first full season with their respective club.

Stability and time should be earned by a manager doing a good job, which to me is meeting objectives and constantly improving.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:12 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I think it can help but not the be all and end all. For example, three of four managers promoted last season were in their first full season with their respective club.

Stability and time should be earned by a manager doing a good job, which to me is meeting objectives and constantly improving.
I think that is reasonable. So far NC has met that criteria. Of course history has shown JR has not always followed that principle.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:10 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I think it can help but not the be all and end all. For example, three of four managers promoted last season were in their first full season with their respective club.

I suspect that the key is club stability which doesn't necessarily limit itself to managers. Appointing managers with a similar ethos would be one example
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:18 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

I suspect that the key is club stability which doesn't necessarily limit itself to managers. Appointing managers with a similar ethos would be one example

Yes I agree that club stability is important, which is why I would like us to have a proper structure in place at the club and an agreed ethos, rather than a manager that calls all the shots re recruitment etc, but that’s not something that a traditional manager like Clough would agree to.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:19 am

you’d think that’s the role of a director of football - and we have one. Transfer dealings are without doubts cloughs biggest achilles heel
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:14 am

He’s had 2 years and we’re still L2 mid-table mediocrity. Maybe that’s where we belong. We’ve had managers who are “the next big thing” and those who are “experienced and covered in glory”. We’ve even promoted our own and still here we are, mainly mid-table with the odd flirtation with promotion and relegation. Maybe we just need to suck it up and accept it……..or maybe the grass really is greener and the next one will finally do it. It’s a battle between safe, steady stability and ut-throat chaos. Almost like a fight between Batman and Joker. In the end, although we all love Batman and believe in what he stands for, we all want to watch the Joker because he’s entertaining. Do us fans want to see Stags safe and steady in L2 for another 20 years, treading water? Or do they want to deal the cards, see their hand, go all in and gamble the lot? All or nothing?
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:22 am

SeanieStag wrote:He’s had 2 years and we’re still L2 mid-table mediocrity. Maybe that’s where we belong. We’ve had managers who are “the next big thing” and those who are “experienced and covered in glory”. We’ve even promoted our own and still here we are, mainly mid-table with the odd flirtation with promotion and relegation. Maybe we just need to suck it up and accept it……..or maybe the grass really is greener and the next one will finally do it. It’s a battle between safe, steady stability and ut-throat chaos. Almost like a fight between Batman and Joker. In the end, although we all love Batman and believe in what he stands for, we all want to watch the Joker because he’s entertaining. Do us fans want to see Stags safe and steady in L2 for another 20 years, treading water? Or do they want to deal the cards, see their hand, go all in and gamble the lot? All or nothing?
Still L2 mid-table mediocrity......... really ?

Who would you trust with a gamble ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:37 am

adamstag wrote:

you’d think that’s the role of a director of football - and we have one. Transfer dealings are without doubts cloughs biggest achilles heel

Technically we don’t have a director of football, David Sharpe is Chief Exec.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:43 am

SeanieStag wrote:He’s had 2 years and we’re still L2 mid-table mediocrity. Maybe that’s where we belong. We’ve had managers who are “the next big thing” and those who are “experienced and covered in glory”. We’ve even promoted our own and still here we are, mainly mid-table with the odd flirtation with promotion and relegation. Maybe we just need to suck it up and accept it……..or maybe the grass really is greener and the next one will finally do it. It’s a battle between safe, steady stability and ut-throat chaos. Almost like a fight between Batman and Joker. In the end, although we all love Batman and believe in what he stands for, we all want to watch the Joker because he’s entertaining. Do us fans want to see Stags safe and steady in L2 for another 20 years, treading water? Or do they want to deal the cards, see their hand, go all in and gamble the lot? All or nothing?

I mean, it is really.

I've been a supporter for nearly 25 years, I've seen us play in league one once, non league five years and the rest in league two. We have pretty much always been a mid table league two side.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:57 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I mean, it is really.

I've been a supporter for nearly 25 years, I've seen us play in league one once, non league five years and the rest in league two. We have pretty much always been a mid table league two side.

Only during your time as a supporter. Us old gits simply can’t accept that’s our level as we’ve seen much better. Maybe that’s why we are so critical of the situation we find ourselves in and are impatient for better.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:33 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I mean, it is really.

Only during your time as a supporter. Us old gits simply can’t accept that’s our level as we’ve seen much better. Maybe that’s why we are so critical of the situation we find ourselves in and are impatient for better.

Maybe we should.

So would you say we're a league one team? I'm not trying to be arsey or start an argument. It is frustrating being stuck in L2 when we've seen teams jump from conference to league one in two seasons and it feels like we can't get out of this league no matter what we do.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:46 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I mean, it is really.

Maybe we should.

So would you say we're a league one team? I'm not trying to be arsey or start an argument. It is frustrating being stuck in L2 when we've seen teams jump from conference to league one in two seasons and it feels like we can't get out of this league no matter what we do.

At the moment we are a league 2 team only on the pitch. That’s not for the want of trying or investment in the team. We also have some of the best supporters in the lower league and the ethos of investment in youth probably also deserves better. Our facilities are league 1.

We have some of the best players in the league as individuals but unfortunately the team isn’t balanced which is why we are where we are. So yes our current team is league two standard but with only minor additions could hold it’s own in league 1 meaning we shouldn’t give up and accept mediocrity.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:49 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I mean, it is really.

Maybe we should.

At the moment we are a league 2 team only on the pitch. That’s not for the want of trying or investment in the team. We also have some of the best supporters in the lower league and the ethos of investment in youth probably also deserves better. Our facilities are league 1.

We have some of the best players in the league as individuals but unfortunately the team isn’t balanced which is why we are where we are. So yes our current team is league two standard but with only minor additions could hold it’s own in league 1 meaning we shouldn’t give up and accept mediocrity.

That’s the thing though, it’s all ifs and buts. We’ve always got a piece of the jigsaw missing.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby PaulG » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:31 pm

We may have some of the best supporters in the lower leagues, as borne out by our fantastic away support, but we don't have enough of them. I went to my first match at Field Mill in the spring of 1963, just as we were promoted to the old Third Division. I was ten. So, subconsciously, I think of us as a Third Division (or Division 1) club, but have a look at Division 1 today. The top nine clubs are all so much bigger than us in terms of support and therefore in terms of income. Not far behind them in terms of support, there's Lincoln, Oxford United and Bristol Rovers. In budgetary terms, therefore, we would be bottom half which, unless we were heavily subsidised and brilliantly managed, would mean perpetual struggle. That's a situation I'd be happy to go along with, because you never know; we might get lucky. The question is, would our support in general go along with it, or would the season ticket sales fall off a cliff within a couple of seasons?
PaulG
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:35 pm

I suspect whatever league we were in we would have the same doom merchants. :D
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:37 pm

PaulG wrote:We may have some of the best supporters in the lower leagues, as borne out by our fantastic away support, but we don't have enough of them. I went to my first match at Field Mill in the spring of 1963, just as we were promoted to the old Third Division. I was ten. So, subconsciously, I think of us as a Third Division (or Division 1) club, but have a look at Division 1 today. The top nine clubs are all so much bigger than us in terms of support and therefore in terms of income. Not far behind them in terms of support, there's Lincoln, Oxford United and Bristol Rovers. In budgetary terms, therefore, we would be bottom half which, unless we were heavily subsidised and brilliantly managed, would mean perpetual struggle. That's a situation I'd be happy to go along with, because you never know; we might get lucky. The question is, would our support in general go along with it, or would the season ticket sales fall off a cliff within a couple of seasons?

I’ve never thought of us as anything other than completely rubbish. Anything better is a bonus. I’d support my team in whatever league…it’s my hometown club and beats watching the tv, supporting a team I’d never watch in the flesh!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:28 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
PaulG wrote:We may have some of the best supporters in the lower leagues, as borne out by our fantastic away support, but we don't have enough of them. I went to my first match at Field Mill in the spring of 1963, just as we were promoted to the old Third Division. I was ten. So, subconsciously, I think of us as a Third Division (or Division 1) club, but have a look at Division 1 today. The top nine clubs are all so much bigger than us in terms of support and therefore in terms of income. Not far behind them in terms of support, there's Lincoln, Oxford United and Bristol Rovers. In budgetary terms, therefore, we would be bottom half which, unless we were heavily subsidised and brilliantly managed, would mean perpetual struggle. That's a situation I'd be happy to go along with, because you never know; we might get lucky. The question is, would our support in general go along with it, or would the season ticket sales fall off a cliff within a couple of seasons?

I’ve never thought of us as anything other than completely rubbish. Anything better is a bonus. I’d support my team in whatever league…it’s my hometown club and beats watching the tv, supporting a team I’d never watch in the flesh!!!

This conversation went on for ages this summer
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40481
Overall since 1931 we've been a 3rd division team, for the last 30 years there's only been the odd season here and there where we haven't been mediocre in the 4th division
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:49 pm

Suttonian wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:

This conversation went on for ages this summer
https://www.stagsnet.net/phpBB3/viewtop ... =8&t=40481
Overall since 1931 we've been a 3rd division team, for the last 30 years there's only been the odd season here and there where we haven't been mediocre in the 4th division

Our all time average is around 80th (half way in division 4 or League two as it is now). Pretty much sums us up really. Top 7 is good imo, looking at that.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:48 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

I mean, it is really.

Maybe we should.

Our toilets are non-league standard!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum