{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Should we extend Clough’s contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Should we extend Clough’s contract

Postby stag324 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:06 am

I believe Nigel is out of contract in the summer.

It might because yesterday is still raw but I am 50/50 about extending NC contract.

For the last few games we are stumbling along, getting the occasional win and good performance but overall we look average at best.

The January window is once again pivotal to our future success and for me will decide if we should stick or twist with NC
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Should we extend Clough’s contract

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:23 am

If we get top 7 again, yes.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:25 am

It’s far too early to be even contemplating not renewing his contract.

I certainly don’t want to start the roundabout again and still have faith that he will come good in the end.

I agree that he has to improve in the January window and needs to recruit some new blood. In practical terms he will have to recruit in the summer in any case as players like Quinn, O’Toole and Perch drop down the pecking order.

I’m sure that Nigel knows himself what he really needs but is hardly going to admit it publicly. We have enough to be on the outskirts of the playoffs and a few additions in January could still see us make a push for the automatics.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:38 am

I agree with SPBS but also we need to mindful of the fact that we have extended the contract of many of his key players so it would appear to me that extending his contract is largely baked into the club's plans
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Colchester Stag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:50 am

No, move him on.
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:53 am

Colchester Stag wrote:No, move him on.

Who would you want to replace him?
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby robda1st » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:57 am

no, he needs to prove he can fix the mistakes of his own making first. hes a good manager but it doesnt feel's like the club are in awe of his name and he's not under enough pressure.

its time fo rclough to prove hes the good manager we know he his, drop his favourites, get the basics right, stop being to clever and fix his transfer mistakes
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby smulls » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:00 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Poach Darrell Clarke
smulls
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:07 am

smulls wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Poach Darrell Clarke

I feel he will manage us one day
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:28 am

I wouldn't yet. But I wouldn't sack him either. He needs another roll of the dice where it's an emphatic promotion or he's off. So for me he has the rest of this season to save, and next season to sort this old slow squad of Jack of all Trades out. Before Clough and during his bad patch, I proposed Clarke and everyone thought it was a stupid suggestion because he was floundering at Walsall.

I'd still want Clarke and would prefer him to Clough. Just think Clough is starting to look a bit over reliant on yesteryears men.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Mansf1eld » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:32 am

The worrying thing for me is the transfer business and playing utility players. He either signs his old boys and shoehorns them in or unknown youngsters.
:evil: Against Modern Football :evil:
Mansf1eld
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:37 am

Fascinated by this - what are your reasons for this?
- transfers
- style of play
- lack of success
- no sense of success coming
- lack of faith in his use of youth
- don't like him

I am not seeking to be antagonistic and I am genuinely interested. Statistically longevity pays off, but also older managers have a reputation of being stuck in their systems and not innovating sufficiently
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:44 am

smulls wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Poach Darrell Clarke

That's harsh, I like Darrell :lol:

I hope Clough is here long term but we saw yesterday how far his squad is behind top 3. It's a huge concern that unlike any other manager he seems to like playing without recognised centre backs, I'm sure he didn't do that at Burton, so why do it now? It's madness. I know he is used to working on a shoestring budget, but he doesn't have that here, there is no need to have such a small squad and it is clearly having a huge impact, not just on team flexibility but also having to play injured players like Macca and Gordon. So for me, top 7 is bare minimum and until that's assured I wouldn't be negotiating a new contract yet. If we fail to make the play-offs then I'm probably on the side of trying someone else. I do feel for JR, what more does he have to do?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Colchester Stag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:02 pm

georgefostersbeard wrote:

- transfers
- style of play
- lack of success
- don't like him

I am not seeking to be antagonistic and I am genuinely interested. Statistically longevity pays off, but also older managers have a reputation of being stuck in their systems and not innovating sufficiently

- transfers It's not been the best of closed season for Nige has it? He kept Perch on.
- style of play Gets found out too easily, he's playing like his old man used to play refusing to listen to the science of football.
- lack of success What success?,
- no sense of success coming Not with Nigel in charge, he's Conference / lower Division 3 at best.
- lack of faith in his use of youth Doesn't seem to want to blood the youth, Steve Hymas and JR have ploughed a few million into that setup to see what?
- don't like him I like him, he's honest and to the point but, as I mentioned above he's Conference / Lower Div 3 at best.
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:07 pm

Rob wrote:
smulls wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Poach Darrell Clarke

That's harsh, I like Darrell :lol:

I hope Clough is here long term but we saw yesterday how far his squad is behind top 3. It's a huge concern that unlike any other manager he seems to like playing without recognised centre backs, I'm sure he didn't do that at Burton, so why do it now? It's madness. I know he is used to working on a shoestring budget, but he doesn't have that here, there is no need to have such a small squad and it is clearly having a huge impact, not just on team flexibility but also having to play injured players like Macca and Gordon. So for me, top 7 is bare minimum and until that's assured I wouldn't be negotiating a new contract yet. If we fail to make the play-offs then I'm probably on the side of trying someone else. I do feel for JR, what more does he have to do?

I don’t think yesterday shows how far we are behind the top three. It shows Swindon are a very good side whose style was all wrong for us, and a manager who failed to adapt in game.

Of the current top three we’ve only played one, and we should’ve got at least a point against them. Stevenage and Northampton are more direct sides who I think we would cope better against.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yellowstagsfan » Sun Oct 30, 2022 2:48 pm

Definitely keep him. We need stability not a Watford situation
yellowstagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:26 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:I wouldn't yet. But I wouldn't sack him either. He needs another roll of the dice where it's an emphatic promotion or he's off. So for me he has the rest of this season to save, and next season to sort this old slow squad of Jack of all Trades out. Before Clough and during his bad patch, I proposed Clarke and everyone thought it was a stupid suggestion because he was floundering at Walsall.

I'd still want Clarke and would prefer him to Clough. Just think Clough is starting to look a bit over reliant on yesteryears men.

Some have already got contracts for next season. Akins? JJ?
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:47 pm

Just because they have contracts doesn't mean they have to play.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby YellaFella 75 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:02 pm

Colchester Stag wrote:

- transfers
- style of play
- lack of success
- don't like him

- transfers It's not been the best of closed season for Nige has it? He kept Perch on.
- style of play Gets found out too easily, he's playing like his old man used to play refusing to listen to the science of football.
- no sense of success coming Not with Nigel in charge, he's Conference / lower Division 3 at best.
- lack of faith in his use of youth Doesn't seem to want to blood the youth, Steve Hymas and JR have ploughed a few million into that setup to see what?
- don't like him I like him, he's honest and to the point but, as I mentioned above he's Conference / Lower Div 3 at best.

Ha ha I've had some giggles in my time but this one is the best ever. :lol:
YellaFella 75
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:36 pm

YellaFella 75 wrote:
Colchester Stag wrote:

- transfers
- style of play
- lack of success
- don't like him

Ha ha I've had some giggles in my time but this one is the best ever. :lol:

I agree - someone who clearly doesn’t get it.
I think Clarke signed a 5 year contract in the summer so that’s unlikely
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:58 pm

No, get rid. Sets up far too negatively, especially at home. Changes the side on a whim, with players out of position to accommodate players who he has signed from his former club,who are in the main either, too old or miles out of form. The size of squad is down to him, and has left us facing exactly the same problems as we had this time last year, despite being two transfer windows further on
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Harrington St Stag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:19 pm

No, unless he turns this around, this season.

There’s a trend of continuing issues - poor transfer windows, a reliance on older players who are struggling to impact on this league, strange formations and substitutions. I think we look average this season.

Based on current form and squad size I’d be surprised if we get near automatic promotion this season. I hope I’m proved wrong.
Harrington St Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby victor A block » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:23 pm

geoffhill wrote:Just because they have contracts doesn't mean they have to play.

True. Will affect the budget though.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:49 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:No, get rid. Sets up far too negatively, especially at home. Changes the side on a whim, with players out of position to accommodate players who he has signed from his former club,who are in the main either, too old or miles out of form. The size of squad is down to him, and has left us facing exactly the same problems as we had this time last year, despite being two transfer windows further on

I bet you were delighted on Saturday … are you incapable of posting anything positive or constructive.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:59 pm

Stags last 46 League Two games,

Won 26
Drawn 9
Lost 11
PTS 87
PPG 1.89

;)