{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Should we extend Clough’s contract

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Should we extend Clough’s contract

Postby five to three » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:48 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:He’s had 2 years and we’re still L2 mid-table mediocrity. Maybe that’s where we belong. We’ve had managers who are “the next big thing” and those who are “experienced and covered in glory”. We’ve even promoted our own and still here we are, mainly mid-table with the odd flirtation with promotion and relegation. Maybe we just need to suck it up and accept it……..or maybe the grass really is greener and the next one will finally do it. It’s a battle between safe, steady stability and ut-throat chaos. Almost like a fight between Batman and Joker. In the end, although we all love Batman and believe in what he stands for, we all want to watch the Joker because he’s entertaining. Do us fans want to see Stags safe and steady in L2 for another 20 years, treading water? Or do they want to deal the cards, see their hand, go all in and gamble the lot? All or nothing?

I mean, it is really.

I've been a supporter for nearly 25 years, I've seen us play in league one once, non league five years and the rest in league two. We have pretty much always been a mid table league two side.

Only during your time as a supporter. Us old gits simply can’t accept that’s our level as we’ve seen much better. Maybe that’s why we are so critical of the situation we find ourselves in and are impatient for better.

Maybe we should.

So would you say we're a league one team? I'm not trying to be arsey or start an argument. It is frustrating being stuck in L2 when we've seen teams jump from conference to league one in two seasons and it feels like we can't get out of this league no matter what we do.

At the moment we are a league 2 team only on the pitch. That’s not for the want of trying or investment in the team. We also have some of the best supporters in the lower league and the ethos of investment in youth probably also deserves better. Our facilities are league 1.

We have some of the best players in the league as individuals but unfortunately the team isn’t balanced which is why we are where we are. So yes our current team is league two standard but with only minor additions could hold it’s own in league 1 meaning we shouldn’t give up and accept mediocrity.

Our toilets are non-league standard!
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby St Hilary Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm

I wouldnt personally extend Clough's contract .. he's had his chance ..
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:29 pm

No way at the moment, keep any talks on hold. He keeps making the same mistakes and doesn’t show any sign of learning.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:34 pm

No
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:27 pm

Mansfield Town would be insane not to offer another contract to Nigel Clough who has a 44% win rate which is the 7th highest managerial win rate in our history. Keep the faith.

We are still 8th in the league and it is all to play for. He's just a stubborn little raspberry and needs to accept that our defence needs strengthening with two quality defenders one of whom can play on the left. We also need another forward to replace Danny Johnson if we are planning on selling him in January.

Nigel Clough League Games

2020-2021 P35 W13 D12 L10
2021-2022 P46 W22 D11 L13
2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Playoffs give him another year however they pan out,faiure season after get rid.
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby ElwoodBlues » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Mansfield Town would be insane not to offer another contract to Nigel Clough who has a 44% win rate which is the 7th highest managerial win rate in our history. Keep the faith.

We are still 8th in the league and it is all to play for. He's just a stubborn little raspberry and needs to accept that our defence needs strengthening with two quality defenders one of whom can play on the left. We also need another forward to replace Danny Johnson if we are planning on selling him in January.

2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%

Excellent post among the insane amount of over reaction again.
And if young Nigel says he's happy
He must be happy
He must be happy
He must be happy in his world
ElwoodBlues
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby NEStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:49 pm

ElwoodBlues wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Mansfield Town would be insane not to offer another contract to Nigel Clough who has a 44% win rate which is the 7th highest managerial win rate in our history. Keep the faith.

2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%

I agree. If we do sack him then what happens.

JR gets his chequebook out for more compensation and a brand new management team. The new manager demands money for ‘his’ players and says it will take at least 3 transfer windows to build his team.

Then in 18 months time we’ve had some ups and downs but we are still mid table and people call for the new manager to go and off we go again.

Then it’s cheque book time for JR again. Maybe he’s got limited patience for that at this point.

I’m not saying Nigel will get us promoted but he’s got as good a chance as anyone, based on it being MTFC and prior experience.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robda1st » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:12 pm

we all want to clough to suceed but until he starts trying to fix the problems and keeps just blaming everything else but himself its really difficult to get behind him,

the only person that can prove he can come up with a solution to the problems he created is clough himself
robda1st
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:14 pm

NEStag wrote:
ElwoodBlues wrote:

2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%

I agree. If we do sack him then what happens.

JR gets his chequebook out for more compensation and a brand new management team. The new manager demands money for ‘his’ players and says it will take at least 3 transfer windows to build his team.

Then in 18 months time we’ve had some ups and downs but we are still mid table and people call for the new manager to go and off we go again.

Then it’s cheque book time for JR again. Maybe he’s got limited patience for that at this point.

I’m not saying Nigel will get us promoted but he’s got as good a chance as anyone, based on it being MTFC and prior experience.

Wouldn’t need to pay him compo if we didn’t renew his contract, which is the discussion in this thread rather than sacking.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:39 pm

That’s a fair point Musings although I think the cycle I’ve mentioned still applies. I don’t think anyone else has a better chance and they will (being new) want more of an overhaul and that costs money.

We’ve seen a series of managers come and go who have either not made it for one reason or another or who have flopped.

I’d stick with Clough for now. Just my view.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stagspur » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:18 am

Anything but Promotion, however its achieved, is failure.
I am sure Radford Clough would think the same
Stagspur
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:08 am

Stagspur wrote:Anything but Promotion, however its achieved, is failure.
I am sure Radford Clough would think the same

This is the absolute bottom line.

JR wants the club promoted. Even a play off campaign that ends in anything but promotion is failure.

Looking at it pragmatically.

20/21 team was in the clarts, NC steadied the ship got us out of trouble. Free pass that year.

21/22 still building, an improvement of the previous year reaching the play offs after an awful start was a bonus. But abysmsl performance at Wembley undid tge good recovery. Close but no cigar. Failed

22/23 much better start, but the deficiencies in the squad not addressed in the summer & by the half season mark I'm far from convinced we be in a better position than we were at 23 games last season. January makes or breaks this season IMO.

BTW you can maintain a 44% win rate & finish a season on 61 points. ;)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:26 am

2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%

I believe it was higher than 44% when he was sacked by Sheffield Utd..one of the issues was his failure to sign a decent Centre back..but in any event if the present rate of decline continues it will soon be below 40%...
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby five to three » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:41 pm

His contract needs to wait until we know which division we are in next season. Div One equals new contract. Div Two equals blank sheet of A4
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bigalstag1 » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:51 pm

So we let him bring in more midfield has beens and oap's in the next window, that we have to pay off at the seasons end?
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Billy the fish » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:51 pm

diablo wrote:

2022-2023 P19 W9 D3 L7
Total P100 W44 D26 L30

League Win Rate = 44%

I believe it was higher than 44% when he was sacked by Sheffield Utd..one of the issues was his failure to sign a decent Centre back..but in any event if the present rate of decline continues it will soon be below 40%...

Was known as Negative Nigel among the blades fans .. the football on offer this season bar the odd game is very mediocre at best …
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:55 pm

How quickly opinions change. It is not that long ago posters on here were concerned that NC would be poached by another club.

We can debate and speculate as much as we like ultimately it is JR who will decide. Hopefully if he decides not to give NC he will appoint someone better.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:00 pm

I am still with NC but this window needs to be sorting the teams problems out.

If by the end of window nothing as changed much and results don't go our way and can see the Stags faithful starting to turn against him.

Simply making players play in positions they are not comfortable with and then they get blamed for there mistakes is just bad management.

Over to you NC
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby St Hilary Stag » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:40 pm

crowd will be down on Saturday v Crewe , if Clough doesnt do any business .. not holding my breath on that ...
Far South West's number ONE fan
'
St Hilary Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Costastag » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:16 pm

Not in a million years,hes had his time
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:46 pm

He's made life hard for himself with his small squad and not signing centre halfs and falling out with DJ but stick with him. There have been a lot more positives than negatives and we have had some great days out.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:48 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He's made life hard for himself with his small squad and not signing centre halfs and falling out with DJ but stick with him. There have been a lot more positives than negatives and we have had some great days out.

+1 on the great days out.

I know we aren't the best team in the world, but cloughie and this team have given me and my dad some memories we will look back on for a while. Seems cheesy but for us sometimes it's more about the day out than the result.

Had some terrible days out too :lol: but I agree with you that there's been more better ones than worse
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:03 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:He's made life hard for himself with his small squad and not signing centre halfs and falling out with DJ but stick with him. There have been a lot more positives than negatives and we have had some great days out.

+1 on the great days out.

I know we aren't the best team in the world, but cloughie and this team have given me and my dad some memories we will look back on for a while. Seems cheesy but for us sometimes it's more about the day out than the result.

Had some terrible days out too :lol: but I agree with you that there's been more better ones than worse

There’s been some great days out which I’ve enjoyed with various family and friends. Sunderland away in the FA Cup, Doncaster away in the FA Cup, Crewe away (last minute Hawkins winner), Oldham away (last minute Lapslie winner) and many more.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:32 pm

As you know that's how I see it, but you were a little less positive when I saw you briefly through the bars on Saturday :lol: End of the season, take stock.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum