{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby Suttonian » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:47 am

Dave Wayne wrote:
Suttonian wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:He's a better manager than Clough will ever be.

Genuine question - statistically and record wise how does this bear out.
I thought that they had largely similar win percentages but happily wrong on this.
Clough has had quite a few cup runs and promotions so am I missing something?

When Evans became manager he was claiming something like 9 promotions in his managerial career, Clough has had 2. The football wasn't very good under Evans IMO but he had a knack of getting wins. He looked capable of another promotion with us until he walked out

Evans 42.7 win%
Clough 40.8 win%
So pretty similar

I always find it strange that nobody can ever list these 9 promotions he claims though.
Best I can find is :
Stamford - United Counties Premier 1997/98
Boston - Southern League 1999/2000
Boston - Conference 2001/02
Crawley - Conference 2010/11
Rotherham - League 2 2012/13
Rotherham - League 1 2013/14

So I make it 6 unless anyone can add any others ?

Stamford won the United Counties in 96/97 as well but were not allowed promotion as the ground was below standard so I guess he classes that as a 'promotion'.
Also, Crawley were promoted in 2011/12 after he walked out in April (familiar :roll: ) so I assume his ego is also claiming that one as his.

That takes it up to 8 at best, but on the other side of the coin, the 2 at Boston were both done with 'contract irregularities' so it could be as few as 4 'legal' promotions.

9 promotions is what he claimed when Stevo interviewed him, I'm not saying it's true. If the 2 with Boston weren't 'legal' they would surely have been relegated. Financial irregularities are nothing new in football. Look at Chesterfield during the Darren Brown years, raffles, using youth team budget to pay a players wages (couldn't resist the dig at them :D )
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dave Wayne » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:28 pm

Suttonian wrote:
Dave Wayne wrote:
Suttonian wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:
bigalstag1 wrote:He's a better manager than Clough will ever be.

Genuine question - statistically and record wise how does this bear out.
I thought that they had largely similar win percentages but happily wrong on this.
Clough has had quite a few cup runs and promotions so am I missing something?

When Evans became manager he was claiming something like 9 promotions in his managerial career, Clough has had 2. The football wasn't very good under Evans IMO but he had a knack of getting wins. He looked capable of another promotion with us until he walked out

Evans 42.7 win%
Clough 40.8 win%
So pretty similar

I always find it strange that nobody can ever list these 9 promotions he claims though.
Best I can find is :
Stamford - United Counties Premier 1997/98
Boston - Southern League 1999/2000
Boston - Conference 2001/02
Crawley - Conference 2010/11
Rotherham - League 2 2012/13
Rotherham - League 1 2013/14

So I make it 6 unless anyone can add any others ?

Stamford won the United Counties in 96/97 as well but were not allowed promotion as the ground was below standard so I guess he classes that as a 'promotion'.
Also, Crawley were promoted in 2011/12 after he walked out in April (familiar :roll: ) so I assume his ego is also claiming that one as his.

That takes it up to 8 at best, but on the other side of the coin, the 2 at Boston were both done with 'contract irregularities' so it could be as few as 4 'legal' promotions.

9 promotions is what he claimed when Stevo interviewed him, I'm not saying it's true. If the 2 with Boston weren't 'legal' they would surely have been relegated. Financial irregularities are nothing new in football. Look at Chesterfield during the Darren Brown years, raffles, using youth team budget to pay a players wages (couldn't resist the dig at them :D )

Wasn't suggesting you were saying it was true, just that it is a figure bandied around whenever he is mentioned, purely down to his own claims, but there is no statistical evidence to support it.
Nearly mentioned Cheaterfield in my post !!
Technically, they were relegated, as it was the Conference that found them guilty but after the promotion had happened, so when they finally got relegated from the EFL in 2006/07 they were pushed down an extra level into Conference North, at which point he did his usual and buggered off to Crawley.
At the time it all came to light in 2002, Evans and the Chairman were also banned from football for 20 months for the contract irregularities, and he later pleaded guilty in court to conspiring to cheat the public revenue (tax evasion), and was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.
Personally, I don't care how good a manager he may or may not be, he is a horrible man and I hated him being involved with our club.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:59 pm

Lincoln 4
Everton 2
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:22 pm

The One wrote:Lincoln 4
Everton 2

i know :roll: i had a running text cometary all game from a Gimp fan in between texts about how pap Everton are & how could we have been beat by kids ……Yawn
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:07 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:47 pm

Barrow 0 Swindon Town 1 (HT: 0-1)
Attendance: 2,617 (171 Swindon Fans)

Swindon win their first game in 5 games after looking one of the best teams in the league when they beat the Stags 5-2 at Field Mill. They scored their first goal in 5.5 hours in the 7th minute after Barrow keeper Paul Farman took a poor touch from a back pass by Tyrell Warren. Jacob Wakeling nipped in to win the ball but Farman then brought him down with a tackle from behind to concede a penalty. The ref played on initially but the linesman must have had a word in his ear because he turned round and gave the penalty which Louis Reed scored. Swindon were the better side in the 1st half. Farman made a good save from Marcel Lavinier and Wakeling and Ellis Iandolo went close. Barrow did not have a shot on goal.

Barrow were much better in the 2nd half with Josh Gordon showing good ball control up front in tricky conditions. Swindon had chances to make it 2-0 with Johnny Williams shooting wide and Farman tipping Romeao Hutton's shot over the bar. Barrow then put some pressure on Swindon as the rain came driving down. Patrick Brough shot over the bar and Richie Bennett headed Jordan Stevens' cross wide. They threw players forward and got caught on the counter attack when Tomi Adeloye was clean through on goal but Farman made a great save. He then made another very good save from Rushian Hepburn- Murphy from the last kick of the game but it was his error in the 5th minute that cost Barrow the game.

Frazer Blake-Tracy played well at the back for Swindon.

Swindon leapfrog the Stags and move up from 9th to 4th. Barrow drop down from 5th to 6th.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:54 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Barrow 0 Swindon Town 1 (HT: 0-1)
Attendance: 2,617 (171 Swindon Fans)

Swindon win their first game in 5 games after looking one of the best teams in the league when they beat the Stags 5-2 at Field Mill. They scored their first goal in 5.5 hours in the 7th minute after Barrow keeper Paul Farman took a poor touch from a back pass by Tyrell Warren. Jacob Wakeling nipped in to win the ball but Farman then brought him down with a tackle from behind to concede a penalty. The ref played on initially but the linesman must have had a word in his ear because he turned round and gave the penalty which Louis Reed scored. Swindon were the better side in the 1st half. Farman made a good save from Marcel Lavinier and Wakeling and Ellis Iandolo went close. Barrow did not have a shot on goal.

Barrow were much better in the 2nd half with Josh Gordon showing good ball control up front in tricky conditions. Swindon had chances to make it 2-0 with Johnny Williams shooting wide and Farman tipping Romeao Hutton's shot over the bar. Barrow then put some pressure on Swindon as the rain came driving down. Patrick Brough shot over the bar and Richie Bennett headed Jordan Stevens' cross wide. They threw players forward and got caught on the counter attack when Tomi Adeloye was clean through on goal but Farman made a great save. He then made another very good save from Rushian Hepburn- Murphy from the last kick of the game but it was his error in the 5th minute that cost Barrow the game.

Frazer Blake-Tracy played well at the back for Swindon.

Swindon leapfrog the Stags and move up from 9th to 4th. Barrow drop down from 5th to 6th.

I think you mean 4th to sixth, so the Stags stay fifth.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 pm

Leyton Orient 2 Sutton United 0 (HT: 0-0)
Attendance: 8,069 (562 Sutton Fans)

Orient's amazing run continues with their 16th league win from 21 games. They have 51 points and they are 7 points clear at the top of the league and 16 points clear of 4th placed Swindon. They are on course to win the league with over 100 points.

This was a tight game as Sutton generally defended well but created little up front. The best moment of the 1st half was a great run by Charlie Kellman where he was brought down on the edge of the area. Theo Archibold smashed the resulting free kick against the under side of the bar.

The game was won with a bit of magic from Paul Smyth in the 62nd minute after Enzio Boldewijn playing at right back let a crossfield ball bounce past him to Smyth on the left who cut inside on to his right foot and smashed a shot into the far corner from outside the area. Orient then made it 2-0 on 79 minutes when Tom James' long throw was knocked back out to Craig Clay. The unfortunate Alistair Smith tried to clear Clay's cross but just deflected it past Jack Rose in the Sutton goal for an own goal.

Paul Smyth, Theo Archibold and Dan Happe played well for Orient. Louis John was possibly Sutton's best player. He stopped Charlie Kellman scoring with a good block in the 1st half. Will Randall had a poor game for Sutton. He's normally more of an attacking threat.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:56 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Leyton Orient 2 Sutton United 0 (HT: 0-0)

Orient's amazing run continues with their 16th league win from 21 games. They have 51 points and they are 7 points clear at the top of the league and 16 points clear of 4th placed Swindon. They are on course to win the league with over 100 points.

This was a tight game as Sutton generally defended well but created little up front. The best moment of the 1st half was a great run by Charlie Kellman where he was brought down on the edge of the area. Theo Archibold smashed the resulting free kick against the under side of the bar.

The game was won with a bit of magic from Paul Smyth in the 62nd minute after Enzio Boldewijn playing at right back let a crossfield ball bounce past him to Smyth on the left who cut inside on to his right foot and smashed a shot into the far corner from outside the area. Orient then made it 2-0 on 79 minutes when Tom James' long throw was knocked back out to Craig Clay. The unfortunate Alistair Smith tried to clear Clay's cross but just deflected it past Jack Rose in the Sutton goal for an own goal.

Paul Smyth, Theo Archibold and Dan Happe played well for Orient. Louis John was possibly Sutton's best player. He stopped Charlie Kellman scoring with a good block in the 1st half. Will Randall had a poor game for Sutton. He's normally more of an attacking threat.

Orient get the job done plain and simple. When we play both Sutton and Harrogate we'll be lucky to get a point out of those two games at t'Mill.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:50 am

but why do they do us every time, tactics, passion, better players ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:42 am

It’s simply ridiculous by Orient. Imagine being 16 points clear of 4th at Christmas with a game in hand :lol: :lol:

Has there ever been a team be as ‘promoted by Christmas’ as this? Even forest green only had a 9 point gap (with a game or two in hand) last year when they ran away with it. Fans must be loving life
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:16 am

And the best thing is, I don’t believe Orient are a brilliant side…just the sides below are distinctly average this season. It proves it with Swindon tanking us, but are only a point above us, having not won in 5 previously. We’ve been awful for a while and are still in with a good shot at automatic. The division dilutes every season imo. The top 3 in the Vanarama would not do bad in our division. League One is much tougher and we would struggle with this lot.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:29 am

Playing a striker at right back? It'll never catch on.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:41 am

Marky Mark wrote:

Playing a striker at right back? It'll never catch on.

Our nige is a trend setter ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:50 am

after Enzio Boldewijn playing at right back let a crossfield ball bounce past him to Smyth on the left who cut inside on to his right foot and smashed a shot into the far corner from outside the area.

Works just as good as our strikers at wingback.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:55 pm

There must be some Donny fans regretting sacking Richie Wellens but I have just spoken to one who thinks they should have sacked him earlier. :lol:

Richie thinks he was thrown under a bus at Donny and he should never have gone back there

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... ub-3941644
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Just looking at the appearances for Orient this season and who was signed by Richie Wellens. Paul Smyth, George Moncur, Idris El Mizouni and Charlie Kelman have been good quality signings.

Signed by Richie Wellens
Paul Smyth 19(1) apps and 9 goals
George Moncur 17(2) and 4 goals
Idris El Mizouni (on loan from Ipswich Town) 17(1) and 1 goal
Charlie Kelman (on loan from QPR) 14(5) apps and 4 goals
Rob Hunt 14(1)
Jayden Wareham (on loan from Chelsea) 1(2)
Stephen Duke-McKenna 0(5)

Signed by Kenny Jackett
Omar Beckles 21(0) and 2 goals
Darren Pratley 20(0) and 1 goal
Tom James 19(0) and 3 goals
Theo Archibald (initially on loan from Lincoln City) 18(2) and 3 goals
Jordan Brown 7(11)
Aaron Drinan 7(8) and 2 goals

Signed by Ross Embleton
Lawrence Vigouroux 21(0)

Signed by Steve Davis
Craig Clay 2(12)

Youth Team
Daniel Happe 20(0)
Ruel Sotiriou 8(12) and 3 goals
Jayden Sweeney 4(2)
Shadrach Ogie 1(3)
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:41 am

:)

Northampton v Carlisle 7.45 k/o
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:48 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:15 pm

Could do with a draw or a carlisle win here.

If northampton win the top 3 would be looking pretty comfortable
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:54 pm

adamstag wrote:Could do with a draw or a carlisle win here.

Carlisle just scored
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:23 pm

NEStag wrote:
adamstag wrote:Could do with a draw or a carlisle win here.

Carlisle just scored

Well that didn’t age well

2-1 6 minutes later
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:28 pm

Coalville :D
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:47 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby adamstag » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:52 pm

Basically northampton is a must win for us.

Lose and the top 3 have pretty much danced off into the sunset.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum