{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Tonights Games

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Tonights Games

Postby halifaxstag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:24 pm

NEStag wrote:Current table suggests 84 points required for promotion maybe 85.

That’s 29 or 30 points from 13 games. So 10 wins or maybe 9 wins and a couple of draws.

Or an average of 2.25 to 2.33 points per game.

Possible but a very big ask.

On the positive side it’s Carlisle v Stevenage next week.

And Carlisle have got to play everyone else in the Top10 apart from us.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:35 pm

We’ve got to be getting 4 points at least from next 2 games
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:40 pm

I think playoffs are a reasonable target. Automatic promotion will take something biblical.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:41 pm

Interesting to note the current top 3 are all
managers who came in last season with the team in a lowly position and completely transformed them. Some really good managerial performances there so far, but even if they all ended up in the play-offs you would say they’ve done a great job.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting to note the current top 3 are all
managers who came in last season with the team in a lowly position and completely transformed them. Some really good managerial performances there so far, but even if they all ended up in the play-offs you would say they’ve done a great job.

I think of the 3 it feels like Paul Simpson has probably done the best job. You kind of thought that Leyton Orient would always be capable of it and it was just a matter of time, and Evans isn't going to go anywhere unless he's allowed to spend money and totally overhaul the team to make it challenge - whereas Carlisle were languishing and didn't really seem to have much going for them, and then Simpson was called for - who has history with the club, and they've come from nowhere really, and kept going.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:31 pm

Marky Mark wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:Interesting to note the current top 3 are all

I think of the 3 it feels like Paul Simpson has probably done the best job. You kind of thought that Leyton Orient would always be capable of it and it was just a matter of time, and Evans isn't going to go anywhere unless he's allowed to spend money and totally overhaul the team to make it challenge - whereas Carlisle were languishing and didn't really seem to have much going for them, and then Simpson was called for - who has history with the club, and they've come from nowhere really, and kept going.

Yes I would agree with all of that. Simpson seemingly in from nowhere too.

Richie Wellens has now done two fantastic jobs at this level.

Steve Evans, can’t stand the guy but he’s done a great job at Stevenage, and to be fair their squad doesn’t scream quality on paper.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:45 pm

the problem being is it seems each year it gets harder.

Next season you’ve move than likely got wrexham, you’ve then got gillingham, stockport will push if they don’t go up this season, so will salford.

It’s going to get harder next season certainly.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:37 am

MTFCMusings wrote:To be fair both Stevenage and Carlisle had very winnable games today, Walsall haven’t won a game since the 1st Jan and Swindon haven’t been good either.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have Swindon down as being very winnable personally, I think they’re a tough match for anybody at home and were coming off the back of two wins and a draw away at Orient.

Don’t know what’s gone on with Walsall! Their fans celebrated like they’d won the UCL after beating us - genuinely hard to believe that they haven’t won since despite signing Matt and Stevens.

At least that result has kept Swindon at arms length for the time being. Huge game on Tuesday now - if we want to go and be contenders we need to go to Northampton and win. There form has been very average and they are there for the taking! Let’s make a statement
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:05 am

BH_Stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:To be fair both Stevenage and Carlisle had very winnable games today, Walsall haven’t won a game since the 1st Jan and Swindon haven’t been good either.

Interesting. I wouldn’t have Swindon down as being very winnable personally, I think they’re a tough match for anybody at home and were coming off the back of two wins and a draw away at Orient.

Don’t know what’s gone on with Walsall! Their fans celebrated like they’d won the UCL after beating us - genuinely hard to believe that they haven’t won since despite signing Matt and Stevens.

At least that result has kept Swindon at arms length for the time being. Huge game on Tuesday now - if we want to go and be contenders we need to go to Northampton and win. There form has been very average and they are there for the taking! Let’s make a statement

Swindon 14th in the home league table. Won 7 times there this season. Best team they’ve beaten is Sutton in 9th, the rest are 16th or lower. Only won two games there since November.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:25 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
BH_Stag wrote:

Swindon 14th in the home league table. Won 7 times there this season. Best team they’ve beaten is Sutton in 9th, the rest are 16th or lower. Only won two games there since November.

Didn’t realise they were performing so averagely there! I think I just always assume they’re good at home because we never get anything there :lol:
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:41 pm

adamstag wrote:the problem being is it seems each year it gets harder.

Next season you’ve move than likely got wrexham, you’ve then got gillingham, stockport will push if they don’t go up this season, so will salford.

It’s going to get harder next season certainly.

I always think the same Adam, but then realise it neither gets any harder or any easier :lol: It’s pretty much the same every season with very similar players playing. It doesn’t take much tweaking to be a top 3 side or much to go wrong for a team to be near relegation. I think we’ve definitely improved the squad this season but have some rank bad luck with injuries atm!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:03 pm

Every year people always say it's going to be harder this year. It never is, it's always the same. It's the same with the squad, we're always a couple of players short of a promotion winning team. The truth is that most teams are in the same position, they just need that little bit of luck, usually in terms of injuries and form of players. If we get that little bit of luck we will go up eventually. Keep the faith.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:33 am

:) All 19:45 k/o

Newport V AFC Wimbled

Northampton V Mansfield :D

Stevenage V Crewe

Sutton v Grimsby

Walsall v Swindon
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:31 pm

Steve Whitehall’s son has given Eastleigh the lead over County.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:58 pm

Well done Grimsby
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:38 pm

Bradford losing to Hartlepool
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:56 pm

2.2 Draw.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:17 pm

Sheff Utd v Blackburn is an absolute belter of a cup tie.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:16 pm

Hope Grimsby can push Brighton to extra time despite losing key players to injury & suspension. :D
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Stoney » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:16 pm

Bit gutted Sheffield United scored late on, I could've watched another half hour of that, fantastic game.

Brighton v Grimsby now. Ex Stags Khan and Waterfall starting for Grimsby. I hope Grimsby can somehow manage to get it to extra time to tire them out for Wednesday.
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:43 pm

if they get one sent off today in the cup can they play against us ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:45 pm

Arguably Grimsby’s two best players - McAtee and Josh Emmanuel, are both on the bench today for Grimsby. Would have preferred them to start and be fatigued for Wednesday.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:49 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:if they get one sent off today in the cup can they play against us ?

No. Red cards count across League, FA cup and League cup. You can find this info in my match reports.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:56 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:if they get one sent off today in the cup can they play against us ?

No. Red cards count across League, FA cup and League cup. You can find this info in my match reports.

The rules are mad, yellow cards only count in the FA Cup, so a Blackburn player who got a yellow today after previously being booked in the competition would have been suspended for the semi. However, if he'd received a 2nd booking he'd have only missed the next league game!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:16 pm

It's been like watching paint dry so far !
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum