{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FACup Rd 1 draw: Barrow Away

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Who do we want in FACup first round

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:59 am

Apparently Conrad Logan plays in goal for the Anstey Nomads and does it for free.

Will he be the next ex stag that is knighted for a super performance against the cheats?

You just know that it’s written in the stars.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:03 pm

Draw is on Monday night.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Amazing
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:24 pm

Stag95 wrote:

Amazing

Notts amazing ,just hilarious they would throw themselves in the trent if it werent full of florist fans :lol:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ST4GS » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:52 am

Is it not time to shake up the FA Cup. I would reduce it to just league clubs with one qualifying round and then a last 64 and instead let non league clubs compete in the JPT or whatever it is called. Non league clubs would have a realistic chance of winning it. They have no chance of winning the FA Cup. The FA Cup only gets exciting at the last 16 or 32 anyway. We stags fans all remember West Ham ,Leicester or Carlisle big games but have no appetite for Slough or Concorde or other non league opponents.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:08 am

ST4GS wrote:Is it not time to shake up the FA Cup. I would reduce it to just league clubs with one qualifying round and then a last 64 and instead let non league clubs compete in the JPT or whatever it is called. Non league clubs would have a realistic chance of winning it. They have no chance of winning the FA Cup. The FA Cup only gets exciting at the last 16 or 32 anyway. We stags fans all remember West Ham ,Leicester or Carlisle big games but have no appetite for Slough or Concorde or other non league opponents.

To me it’s not just a competition for round one onwards but one that gives every team the chance to play against higher opposition. The preliminary rounds give some proper minnows the chance to play against semi professional and professional teams from a tier they have no chance of ever reaching. The players no doubt feel that if they can impress they may get a move up the pyramid and that’s just one of the things that make the FA Cup a great competition where just about everyone can have their own ‘final’.

It should never be just about league teams and Wembley but should remain every schoolboy’s dream and a chance to have a game shown on tv.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:30 am

ST4GS wrote:Is it not time to shake up the FA Cup. I would reduce it to just league clubs with one qualifying round and then a last 64 and instead let non league clubs compete in the JPT or whatever it is called. Non league clubs would have a realistic chance of winning it. They have no chance of winning the FA Cup. The FA Cup only gets exciting at the last 16 or 32 anyway. We stags fans all remember West Ham ,Leicester or Carlisle big games but have no appetite for Slough or Concorde or other non league opponents.

What you've described there is the Carabou Cup.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:31 am

The Stags have been allocated ball number 28 in Monday's Emirates FA Cup first round draw.

The draw will be broadcast live on BBC Two on Monday 17 October 2022 from 7pm.

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2022 ... -cup-draw/
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:33 am

A home game or a local-ish away game please.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:05 am

Sneag wrote:

What you've described there is the Carabou Cup.

I thought that too.

Being realistic I'd say we've no chance of winning it either so should it be for the teams in theorem minus the ones who get promoted the previous season to give it 16 clubs to compete in over 5 rounds? Sounds really exciting.

I'm the ither way around. I get bored around the 4th round when non league minnows are largely out the way and some of the lower professional league ones. Not watched a final for years.

There is nothing wrong with the FA Cup.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:13 am

Coalville at Mansfield would do me
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Joestag1 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:36 am

What a ridiculous suggestion
Joestag1
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:48 am

It does need a bit of a restructure as now very few Step 6 teams can enter due to only about 700 odd teams being able to compete.
In France about 7000 enter their FA Cup.

If the championship sides entered at Round Two instead of Round three many more sides would be allowed to take part with the same number of rounds.

Also if Conference sides had to play two qualifying rounds before getting to the 1st round proper.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MansfieldMick » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:56 am

Sheffield Wednesday at home would be a sell out and probably make TV so that's my choice, or Wednesday or Derby away.
MansfieldMick
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:49 pm

anyone got a link for which clubs are in the 1st round plz
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:40 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:anyone got a link for which clubs are in the 1st round plz

here --> https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... fy-3881282
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:40 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:anyone got a link for which clubs are in the 1st round plz

here --> https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/f ... fy-3881282

cheers Marty
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:11 pm

Spireites at home
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:19 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:35 pm

Notts county away, it’s a great away day down notts… oh wait… not so sure on Coalville
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:37 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::)

Too left photo. Is it just me or is there a big gap between the M and the A in Maris?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:53 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::)

Too left photo. Is it just me or is there a big gap between the M and the A in Maris?

Sack the printer :lol:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Bros » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:57 pm

I see your first game was an f a cup game
The clue is in the words F A Cup open to all clubs affiliated to the FA over a certain level. I recall as a young lad being excited because my local team Ollerton Colliery reached the dizzy heights of the 4th qualifying round where we were beaten by I think Belper who were about 3 leagues above us.
The minnows start in August when they will dream of reaching the 1st round and playing a big team like M T F C, whereas we dream of reaching the 3rd round and playing the reserve team of a PL club
It's the romance of the trophy and it's a shame the PL don't take it seriously and have started to dictate changes like no replays after a certain level.
They also ought to donate all the gate money to the opposition as they are awash with the Sky money
Rant over
Nunc est bibendum
Bros
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:26 pm

What a raspberries draw.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:26 pm

Poor
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum