{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Reality check

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Reality check

Postby markntalbot » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:56 am

We are doing ok. There is a long way to go in the race for promotion and it won’t be lost last night. To have sold close to 7000 tickets last night is amazing. I remember the early 80s where we struggled to get 2000.
Enjoy the ride, I am.
markntalbot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Re: Reality check

Postby Ralphy » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:06 am

This - good post life’s to short enjoy it while you can
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NEStag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:21 am

Looking at the fixtures I'd hope we can get between 10 and 12 points from the next 5 (win 3 draw 1 lose 1 through to win 4 lose 1).

Reasons to be upbeat:

- played 5 at home and 6 away
- average PPG of 1.82 means 84 points over a season = promotion
- played 4 of the current top 11 away from home already (and 2 of the current top 5)
- unbeaten at home and away form (where we couldn't buy a win) has turned around
- no injuries from last night(?)
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:59 am

Got to keep in top 10 and see what we need in January for a promotion push,
Please not a striker and defender, but they are the area were a couple of signings are always nice,
Our midfield looks strong.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:02 pm

bear 73 wrote:Got to keep in top 10 and see what we need in January for a promotion push,
Please not a striker and defender, but they are the area were a couple of signings are always nice,

Anyone know what he's on about?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:Got to keep in top 10 and see what we need in January for a promotion push,

Top 10 in January? That's half-way to failure bear. We should have been top 3 after last night, and we should be there all season.

If were 10th in January there'll be serious questions about clough let alone him getting another season.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:25 pm

I think most of us were just really disappointed after throwing it away last night, but in truth we’re doing well so far this season. For me too 3 is the priority this season…any lower and I’d be slightly disappointed after last season’s finish.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:04 pm

Rob wrote:

Anyone know what he's on about?

Nope....
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:05 pm

We’ve done ok so far, Cloughy said we wouldn’t hit our stride until October time due to short pre season and hangover from last so let’s see. I’m not convinced we have the quality to play the 5 at the back in the way that forest green stormed it last year but think we should get top 7 at least
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:15 am

So on that statement you think a keeper or midfielder?

So glad you're not the manager :lol::
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Spiritater wrote:

No im one of the few who leave it to the professionals and just have a opinion on very little facts.
The Striker and defender has been done even now when the window is closed.
I checked with 91 league clubs and 7 non-league and a top striker and tall fast pacey hard tackling defender, is on all their requirements..
Planning now for January im sorry but a lot of games to be played before January.
As we saw on Fri a week is a long time in football
But the Academy and future players will be planned for next season never mind this one
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm

bear 73 wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

No im one of the few who leave it to the professionals and just have a opinion on very little facts.
The Striker and defender has been done even now when the window is closed.
I checked with 91 league clubs and 7 non-league and a top striker and tall fast pacey hard tackling defender, is on all their requirements..
Planning now for January im sorry but a lot of games to be played before January.
As we saw on Fri a week is a long time in football
But the Academy and future players will be planned for next season never mind this one

Did you check this with Pep? He seems to have it covered. :D
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 pm

Spiritater wrote:

I couldn’t establish whether that was actually a joke.

They’re the 2 positions which we so blatantly need you could see it from the moon.

But let’s go and get a 16th midfielder :shock:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:38 pm

I know points wise we are above last year, but injuries have hit us bad last and now this season.
Can we run with this tight knit squad and risk it till the end of season.
You never know when players are going to get injured.
Would not like to get through the transfer window and have the same problem arise.
If funds are available, it would be great to increase the squad by another 3 players.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:02 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:I know points wise we are above last year, but injuries have hit us bad last and now this season.
Would not like to get through the transfer window and have the same problem arise.
If funds are available, it would be great to increase the squad by another 3 players.

Although it’s frustrating that our squad isn’t big enough to fully facilitate for all the injuries the fact is that that’s the size of squad we’ve got and Clough clearly would rather quality of quantity. I also think Clough will be looking to add numbers to the squad in January as I believe he did last year and hopefully this will be enough for us to get the final goal of promotion. But it will be interesting how many and who he adds in January and how much a fit Oates will booster the team.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Gruff » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:21 am

There are multiple problems with adding players in January.
Do you go for League 1 quality players and pay League 1 wages to try to get promotion? If so, what happens if you fail?
Can we find somebody happy with a 6-month contract to evaluate their capability?
Do you buy League 2 players and hope they can rise to the occasion if we get promoted.
Do we buy an underwhelming NL player or free agent the fans will immediately get on the back of? and what happens if we get promoted?
I honestly believe that Clough will be looking at more loans and hopefully not lose the balance he currently has, meaning he will need to buy BIG in the summer if we get promoted.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 am

Gruff wrote:There are multiple problems with adding players in January.
Do you go for League 1 quality players and pay League 1 wages to try to get promotion? If so, what happens if you fail?
Can we find somebody happy with a 6-month contract to evaluate their capability?
Do you buy League 2 players and hope they can rise to the occasion if we get promoted.
Do we buy an underwhelming NL player or free agent the fans will immediately get on the back of? and what happens if we get promoted?
I honestly believe that Clough will be looking at more loans and hopefully not lose the balance he currently has, meaning he will need to buy BIG in the summer if we get promoted.
You sign better than you have. That is NC's strategy.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:33 am

Lets have that lad from our neighbours County. Langstaff. Looks like a better bet than Longstaff.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:39 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:I know points wise we are above last year, but injuries have hit us bad last and now this season.

I know points wise we are above last year,
seen this several times recently , I cant see how the points comparison is valid unless you assume we are going to go on another run to equal last seasons 2nd half of the season . bad first half season and excellent second half could still get more points than a good first half and a good second half season . Our points so far indicate a play off finish .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:33 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:

I know points wise we are above last year,
seen this several times recently , I cant see how the points comparison is valid unless you assume we are going to go on another run to equal last seasons 2nd half of the season . bad first half season and excellent second half could still get more points than a good first half and a good second half season . Our points so far indicate a play off finish .

This time last season we went on an eight-game winning run. To finish on same points (44 pts) after 26 games we need to go on a 4-2-2 run (W-D-L)

I would be disappointed if we didn't achieve 44pts after 26 games.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby scotsstag » Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:08 pm

Gruff wrote:There are multiple problems with adding players in January.

Interested in what "balance" you think he currently has?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:01 am

markntalbot wrote:We are doing ok. There is a long way to go in the race for promotion and it won’t be lost last night. To have sold close to 7000 tickets last night is amazing. I remember the early 80s where we struggled to get 2000.
Enjoy the ride, I am.

The ride is very bumpy ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:05 am

markntalbot wrote:We are doing ok. There is a long way to go in the race for promotion and it won’t be lost last night. To have sold close to 7000 tickets last night is amazing. I remember the early 80s where we struggled to get 2000.
Enjoy the ride, I am.

Wrong thread , shouldn't this be in the Happy Clappers one ? ;) :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby markntalbot » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:06 pm

I’m still enjoying the ride
markntalbot
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:14 pm

Scoring goals not been a problem 2nd best in league, defence was leaking goals , new look defence has played 4 and conceded 2 goals . Happy with that
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum