{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Five mins not enough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Five mins not enough

Postby marksay » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:07 am

You could see that Atkins and Quinn were shot at 65mins.
So leaving Atkins on and only subbing right at the end didn’t give us legs. They changed 4 players and nearly took all three

We played some nice football until suicidal defending.We need a striker Atkins is no 9
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Re: Five mins not enough

Postby PostmanPat » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:21 am

They absolutely offered nothing, in those conditions it took us a while to work the Hartlepool keeper. They made some changes, brought some fresh legs on, on a heavy pitch but we wait till 80th minute. This 1 upfront at home isn’t for me either, Hartlepool bottom of league we should have attacked and run riot tonight.

Still need a goal scorer
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:31 am

Cloughs love in for Akins is holding this team back, the guy was hopeless last night and he played the whole game.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:38 am

I suppose one of the things is whether you want to strike fear into the hearts of your opponents and blow the Division away like (ironically considering last night's applause) Dave Smith's side did or if you want to play statistical match winning football. We were playing the team bottom of the league. I don't think other teams fear us, they might respect us, but sooner or later people will stop saying that the owners money is going to get us up "this year" and consider us to being a League 2 side forever.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:58 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Cloughs love in for Akins is holding this team back, the guy was hopeless last night and he played the whole game.

I cannot agree that he was hopeless but he should have been swapped for Swann after 60 to 65 minutes. Menayese would have devoured Swann last night if he had started.
Had the keeper not pulled off a top save, Akins would be up for goal of the season as well
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:11 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Cloughs love in for Akins is holding this team back, the guy was hopeless last night and he played the whole game.

I cannot agree that he was hopeless but he should have been swapped for Swann after 60 to 65 minutes. Menayese would have devoured Swann last night if he had started.
Had the keeper not pulled off a top save, Akins would be up for goal of the season as well

If it had gone in it would have been a goal. ;)

Akins strength is his hold up lay & abilty to bring other players into the game, last night far too often the ball bounced off him.

He's also not as good in the air as either Bowery or Hawkins, so isn't particularly good as an orthodox target man.

I don't like players to get singled out but Akins & Quinn aren't 90 minute players anymore. With 5 subs now we should be able to exploint the squad better than we do. NC still seems to be stuck in a 2 sub mentality, which is his greatest weakness as a manager IMO.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:10 am

To be fair to Akins his hold up/link play was the beginning of two goals.

He definitely should have scored though in the first half. He doesn’t have a strikers goalscoring instincts to me and that a striker that doesn’t score will always attract criticism.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:51 am

Too Many subs is spoiling football.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Jamie » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:00 am

Akins had a good game last night, did the hold up work well. Was strong and got stuck in. Don't agree at all that the ball bounced off him, quite the opposite.

Yes he ran out of steam a bit and that's on the gaffer to change it but for most of the game he did his job very well.

We dropped points because of defense blunders, simple as that.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:38 am

I find it amusing when 4 points from 2 games is not a good return one away and one at home.
And we look at the forums reaction.
I am looking forward to back to back defeats, and comments on our manager and team.
The arrogance of some fans, they will never learn from their past mistakes with their hysterical rhetoric.
I have heard from Ifollow today that Akins is a beast to play against and the amount of work he does holding up play.
Still unbeaten at home.in the last five games, and at end of play today will still be in the top 7 after just 11 games.
Still not good enough for some, Oh for the good old days.
P-S Hartigan, Oates, Boateng all major players injured.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:10 pm

Whether it be Mansfield or any other team in any other sport we have seen the 'got this one won syndrome' and therefore stop what you've been doing all game, back off and relax. That's what we did last night simple as that. 2 points lost for sure, should we have won by 4 or more goals, of course we should. This time last season we would have lost that game but we didn't last night. Last weekend was a bonus and Crewe did exactly what we did and got punished, they lost all 3 points and we gained them.

:coys:

PS - I get frustrated with NC and his lack of use of subs but he's the manager not us, 6800+ gate really shows where we are in the spporters eyes
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:27 pm

Game lost due to defensive errors.Akins had a good game imo.Thought Maris and Clarke were a bit below par.Should have won but we move on to Barrow.This will be tough so a draw would be good.Boateng may play on Tuesday hopefully he will be fit for the rest of the season as he is our best midfielder.Hartigan should be ok soon followed by Oates.Clough will have plenty of options when all are fit.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:25 pm

marksay wrote:You could see that Atkins and Quinn were shot at 65mins.
So leaving Atkins on and only subbing right at the end didn’t give us legs. They changed 4 players and nearly took all three

We played some nice football until suicidal defending.We need a striker Atkins is no 9

There's a guy down the A60 who has 15 goals already

Langstaff is a goal scorer, Akins is not. In fact I would say Akins is not a striker but a Jack of all trades.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:52 pm

Spiritater wrote:

Langstaff is a goal scorer, Akins is not. In fact I would say Akins is not a striker but a Jack of all trades.

Scored another 3 today. Langstaff not Akins obviously!
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:21 pm

victor A block wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

It would be lovely to have a proper striker!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:39 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
victor A block wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

iWho was Mansfields last proper striker
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:54 pm

bear 73 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
victor A block wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

we don’t need a striker & we don’t need a CB…

apparently
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:59 pm

bear 73 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
victor A block wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Anthony Robinson.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:04 pm

bear 73 wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:
victor A block wrote:
Spiritater wrote:

Danny Johnson ;)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:50 pm

If you mean proper, as in proper, then it's Phil Stant. Can someone explain to bear who he was, I can't be arsed.

Chrissy was fantastic, Green awesome, Whitehall a one season wonder, Wilko clinical, but proper, then its Stanty, a flipping legend.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:18 am

If you are talking striker like in postmen and rail workers then Steve Whitehall demanding his wages from the Count.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 am

Stanty my all time favourite, stick one on the keeper first five minutes to make sure he doesn’t come anywhere near him for the rest of the game then have the freedom of the box to knock a couple in
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:41 am

Rob wrote:If you mean proper, as in proper, then it's Phil Stant. Can someone explain to bear who he was, I can't be arsed.

Chrissy was fantastic, Green awesome, Whitehall a one season wonder, Wilko clinical, but proper, then its Stanty, a flipping legend.

What about super Richie?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:If you mean proper, as in proper, then it's Phil Stant. Can someone explain to bear who he was, I can't be arsed.

What about super Richie?

Richie was good, however Stanty was different gravy
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:23 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

What about super Richie?

Richie was good, however Stanty was different gravy

Just meant he deserved a mention. Stant was before my time.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum