{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Five mins not enough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Five mins not enough

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:25 am

If we're talking last 20+ goal striker then Tyler Walker.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:17 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:If you mean proper, as in proper, then it's Phil Stant. Can someone explain to bear who he was, I can't be arsed.

Chrissy was fantastic, Green awesome, Whitehall a one season wonder, Wilko clinical, but proper, then its Stanty, a flipping legend.

What about super Richie?

Richie was good, however Stanty was different gravy

Just meant he deserved a mention. Stant was before my time.

Yes Richie was superb for us, but not a Stant. You've made me feel very old saying he was before your time :lol:

Stant was a proper old school nasty No 9, he'd be red carded most games today. But, this is a big but, he was a terrific footballer and great finisher. He also served as a soldier in the Falklands. He has a brilliant book which I'd thoroughly recommend to you. He came back to the Mill with Bury, scored 4, didn't celebrate and received a huge ovation from the Stags fans. I'd say in terms of "fan worship" he was loved more than any other Stags player in my lifetime. He was a legend at some of his former clubs too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:27 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:If you mean proper, as in proper, then it's Phil Stant. Can someone explain to bear who he was, I can't be arsed.

Chrissy was fantastic, Green awesome, Whitehall a one season wonder, Wilko clinical, but proper, then its Stanty, a flipping legend.

What about super Richie?

Yes Richie was superb for us, but not a Stant. You've made me feel very old saying he was before your time :lol:

Stant was a proper old school nasty No 9, he'd be red carded most games today. But, this is a big but, he was a terrific footballer and great finisher. He also served as a soldier in the Falklands. He has a brilliant book which I'd thoroughly recommend to you. He came back to the Mill with Bury, scored 4, didn't celebrate and received a huge ovation from the Stags fans. I'd say in terms of "fan worship" he was loved more than any other Stags player in my lifetime. He was a legend at some of his former clubs too.

Sorry :lol:

Yes my Dad has told me all about him, remembering him telling me about a chip he scored.

In my lifetime it’s Chris Greenacre and Richie Barker for me. I always caveat that by saying I didn’t see a lot of the Matt Green years as I was still playing football at the time and kick off times usually clashed. I think I was only 15 when Barker left so for half my life nobody has really come close to those two thet I have seen. Walker was a good goalscorer but I never felt he truly connected with the fans, maybe as we knew it was going to be a one season thing.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:55 am

Remember Stanty coming back with Bury and getting a standing ovation when going off. Played cricket against him a few years later and he happily agreed to sign my stags shirt for me. Asked the wife to nip home and get it so he could sign, she refused and never got it signed, needless to say I didn’t speak to her for a good week after that and it’s still my go to in any argument today :D :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 am

Ralphy wrote:Remember Stanty coming back with Bury and getting a standing ovation when going off. Played cricket against him a few years later and he happily agreed to sign my stags shirt for me. Asked the wife to nip home and get it so he could sign, she refused and never got it signed, needless to say I didn’t speak to her for a good week after that and it’s still my go to in any argument today :D :D

I played Cricket for Collingham against him the season before Covid. Our team Captain said he was embarrassed at how starstruck a 50 year old bloke was over another 50 something! I think by the end of the day Phil had had enough of my stories about watching him, though he did say the goal and celebration at Scunny was a huge highpoint in his career. Such a gent too, totally the opposite of what you'd expect considering how he played.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:25 pm

Stant and Holland are the best partnership I’ve ever seen as in a midfielder serving a striker…and what a striker, however Cassells was the better striker imo :lol: :lol: :lol: although have to say that!!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:26 pm

Wasn’t Stant also voted the hardest man in football. I’m sure he was. So bloody brilliant…I miss those days.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:18 am

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

What about super Richie?

I’m sure I can remember him doing a forward roll in front of us in the north stand.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:34 am

Yes you might be right Dan, but I think he just lost his balance ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:53 am

Rob wrote:Yes you might be right Dan, but I think he just lost his balance ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:02 pm

Talking of top strikers you can add these 3 in. Kyle Perry, Rob Duffy and Danny Reet. ;)
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 pm

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:Talking of top strikers you can add these 3 in. Kyle Perry, Rob Duffy and Danny Reet. ;)

Absolutely not :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum