{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Walsall Kick-off Time Brought Forward

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Walsall Kick-off Time Brought Forward

Postby Stag95 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:02 pm

Have to say I don’t believe the first part, but the second bit makes sense I suppose.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Re: Walsall Kick-off Time Brought Forward

Postby adamstag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:20 pm

Wouldn’t it make sense to do that when it gets dark earlier? :lol:

If we want to mitigate the cost of floodlights why have we moved Hartlepool to a friday night? :shock: :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:23 pm

adamstag wrote:
If we want to mitigate the cost of floodlights why have we moved Hartlepool to a friday night? :shock: :lol:

Exactly this. What a shambles :lol:
An der Elbe, werden Träume wahr
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:45 pm

Piss take
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:54 pm

If the 'trial' is a success, are we going to move every 3pm kick off to 1pm?!

Do we really care about the traditions of the game so little? I'd expect it from a Premier League club but not from us.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:18 pm

Random Hero wrote:If the 'trial' is a success, are we going to move every 3pm kick off to 1pm?!

Do we really care about the traditions of the game so little? I'd expect it from a Premier League club but not from us.
Last season was a nightmare in respect of the distribution of fixtures. Too many at home on the spin, then loads of away. It looks like the next 3pm Saturday home game will be v Swindon at the end of October. That will be 10 weeks after the last one. I long for the old days of a 3pm home game every fortnight rather than a set of boom and bust fixtures.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:20 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Random Hero wrote:If the 'trial' is a success, are we going to move every 3pm kick off to 1pm?!

Last season was a nightmare in respect of the distribution of fixtures. Too many at home on the spin, then loads of away. It looks like the next 3pm Saturday home game will be v Swindon at the end of October. That will be 10 weeks after the last one. I long for the old days of a 3pm home game every fortnight rather than a set of boom and bust fixtures.

Completely agree. I know of a couple of people who book trains to Mansfield from further afield to come and watch us. They have to do this well in advance or the fares are extortionate.

Changing kick off times at the drop of a hat simply sticks two fingers up to these people. Zero consideration at all for people's circumstances.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:34 pm

Don’t worry about the fans, only we could move a game to a night match and then move another one earlier to avoid energy costs
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:39 pm

Suppose it depends on the savings the club will make on their energy bills ,many countries are going to have power cuts this winter though im not sure about the situation in the uk Ive certainly seen it mentioned in a few papers that many efl clubs are considering doing the same
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Costastag wrote:Suppose it depends on the savings the club will make on their energy bills

The answer to that is zero, considering they've already moved a different fixture to a time where the floodlights will need to be on for two hours plus.
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:50 pm

ST4GS wrote:

It’s just ridiculous.

Looking further ahead, the next Saturday 3pm at home after the Swindon game you mention is Colchester on December 3rd as we don’t have a home game in November (unless we get one in the FA Cup) so there is a fair chance we’ll have had 1 home game on a Saturday 3pm in 15 weeks.

Oh and if England finish 2nd in the group then that game on Dec 3rd will undoubtedly be moved as Englands last 16 game would be scheduled for the same time which they won’t have. So could be looking at 1 Sat 3pm in 17 weeks until we play Grimsby…would an early kick off on police advice surprise anyone? :lol: that would knock us on to Boxing Day having not had one since August. OK some if’s and buts and I’m exaggerating a point to prove a point but there is genuinely a chance that could play out.

So If;
Mansfield get an away draw in the cup
England finish second in the group
And the Police pull the Grimsby KO forwards it’ll be one sat 3pm in 18 weeks
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:01 pm

This is a shambles really, especially on the back of the Hartlepool move.

The statement says it's a trial to understand the impact on prospective attendances, but what about the impact on the certain attendances, i.e. those season ticket holders who coughed up their money?? They parted with their cash a few months back under a pretty safe assumption that other than the odd moved game here and there (which I accept will happen, e.g. Hartlepool), they could largely commit to 3pm every other Saturday.

My daughter and I live in south Bham and she does dance class until 1pm every Saturday. With a 3pm kick off, I pick her up, throw her in the car and we dash up the M42 / M1 to make it into the ground only a few mins before kick off. I knew I was signing up for that when I bought us both season tickets this season and the past few seasons, but now if autumn / winter games are likely to be 1pm, I'm faced with either losing out on money from our STs or asking my daughter to give up one love in favour of another.

I know people will give their own personal stories here but the club need to acknowledge this is a massive change from what we as season ticket holders signed up to, and should have involved some sort of consultation, especially with ST holders. In the other thread re: Hartlepool, there were lots of folk up in arms about that one game. I personally, however, accept that a handful of games will get moved and there's not much I can do about that so I was quite apathetic with regards that game. However a change potentially impacting my attendance for two thirds of a season is a different matter entirely. Not good MTFC.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:05 pm

Random Hero wrote:
Costastag wrote:Suppose it depends on the savings the club will make on their energy bills

The answer to that is zero, considering they've already moved a different fixture to a time where the floodlights will need to be on for two hours plus.

True but this is just a tester ,it could be quite a regular occurence
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Birminghamstag10 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:17 pm

Costastag wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

True but this is just a tester ,it could be quite a regular occurence

There's other blatant ways to increase revenue which the club have failed on time and time again in the past - kiosks, the timing of the release of replica shirts, etc. the list could go on. This move, or proposed move, is really one in the eye for those loyal fans.
Birminghamstag10
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby oldyellow » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:21 pm

adamstag wrote:Wouldn’t it make sense to do that when it gets dark earlier? :lol:

I was thinking this, I might not be able to get to Hartlepool match due to work !!!! doesn't make sense
oldyellow
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bear 73 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:27 pm

In a world where Russia are firing Missiles at Ukraine, food prices are soaring and energy prices going through the roof and fuel as well.
UK being threatened with nuclear attack
Energy subsidy and proposed tax cuts means borrowing at a all time high.
Strikes are in the news every day and times are hard for every one.
I would imagine Football clubs are also feeling the pinch, and i am sure the club would not have taken this decision without consideration of everyone concerned
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 pm

Not only does this make zero sense considering the Hartlepool game, but I think it may hurt the attendance too with kids playing football in the morning etc.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:31 pm

bear 73 wrote:In a world where Russia are firing Missiles at Ukraine, food prices are soaring and energy prices going through the roof and fuel as well.
I would imagine Football clubs are also feeling the pinch, and i am sure the club would not have taken this decision without consideration of everyone concerned

It’s lacking common sense considering all above no need to spin it.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:37 pm

Another daft idea.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:45 pm

Won’t the club also potentially lose a fair amount of revenue from the bar(s), with people less likely to arrive a couple of hours before the game and spend money?
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Costastag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:46 pm

bear 73 wrote:In a world where Russia are firing Missiles at Ukraine, food prices are soaring and energy prices going through the roof and fuel as well.

Well booger me , i totally agree
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby adamstag » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:47 pm

Conker wrote:

It’s lacking common sense considering all above no need to spin it.

Surely if you were going to trial it you’d do it after the clocks have changed so it actually make a difference.

They won’t need the floodlights on for a game kicking off for either 3 or 1 when we play walsall so it’s kinda pointless?

Whereas if you trialled after the clock change it would make a difference.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:50 pm

It’s a terrible time to have a game on. Is it on BT sports/are we a premier league club all of a sudden? Saturday games should be 3pm, end of.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby 1tb » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:50 pm

So, what are the solar panels for?
1tb
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Random Hero » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:54 pm

Jesus Christ...
Random Hero
Manager
Manager

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum