{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Walsall Kick-off Time Brought Forward

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Did the earlier kick off pass 'the test'?

Postby grufti » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:37 am

The lad that plays in a morning that I know made the game, with his dad, because the games were postponed due to the Ref dispute so we probably haven't tested the effect of kids playing in the morning.
No mention here that the earlier kick off led to players on the far side having the sun in their eyes, which isn't a good idea.
I also only just made the kick off due to a long journey and bad traffic.
3pm every time for me, then I can fit dinner at my mum's in too.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:44 am

For me the atmosphere definitely seemed flat.

From where I sit in IGU the QLE looked almost full so the attendance didn't surprise me with their fans too.

Traffic was really busy around the ground and Shopping areas but Nottingham Road car park was still OK at 1215.

But for me everything I usually do on a Saturday morning had to be done 2 hours earlier and so please let's call it a one off but I suspect the club will have ammunition attendance wise to stick to their guns if they want to.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:02 am

The main issue for me was ‘when and where to eat lunch’.

I normally leave home a couple of hours before kick off to get parked up and then have a pint at the ground.

Having lunch at 10.30 would have been a bit of an issue or having a late one at 3.30 when back at home.

In the end it was a couple of chocolate bars just before the game started. Didn’t fancy the pies at the ground.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:05 am

part time pete wrote:The main issue for me was ‘when and where to eat lunch’.

I normally leave home a couple of hours before kick off to get parked up and then have a pint at the ground.

Having lunch at 10.30 would have been a bit of an issue or having a late one at 3.30 when back at home.

In the end it was a couple of chocolate bars just before the game started. Didn’t fancy the pies at the ground.

And we can’t get victory chips at 10:30 either Pete :lol: :lol:
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Bradders » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:18 am

I was busy in the morning, and with 50 years of 3pm kickoffs behind me I'd forgotten that the club had been forced to move the start back. By the time I remembered to check, it was already too late to leave for the match.

I did turn up late for one game last season, due to delays at work. They only let me in under duress and made it clear that allowing a season ticket holder into the ground an hour after kickoff was a one-off special favour.

No doubt Premier League club supporters are accustomed to planning ahead and checking what random date and time the next match will be scheduled for, but the great Saturday afternoon institution is generally something to be relied on outside that league.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:42 am

It was a ball ache, totally buggered up my Saturday schedule and I had to pay an extra £2 to park.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:05 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:i'm puzzled by the town being quiet as the majority of the people I know go into town early on, have a 'spoons' brekky and stay in the pub until the game, so what does the two hour difference make? Honestly don't know so just wondering. Also the attendance, was that how many actually turned up or did they count people who didn't go?

Attendance: 6,821 (796 from Walsall) (note this it is essentially tickets sold, including season tickets)
from https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1184

Do you think the club will publish the actual bums on seats attendance to get a fairer view of the number of season ticket holders who could not make it?
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:06 am

id be interested to know the amount of season ticket holders that didnt show and what reflection this would have had on the figure.

i know i couple who didnt go due to work commitments... if everyone knew one season ticket holder who didnt go.... thats a lot of people
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:17 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:id be interested to know the amount of season ticket holders that didnt show and what reflection this would have had on the figure.

i know i couple who didnt go due to work commitments... if everyone knew one season ticket holder who didnt go.... thats a lot of people

If entries on other threads are correct, the club will not be able to establish how many season ticket holders turned up as some tickets didn’t register as entering the ground although they were let in.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:19 am

stag861 wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Dan wrote:i'm puzzled by the town being quiet as the majority of the people I know go into town early on, have a 'spoons' brekky and stay in the pub until the game, so what does the two hour difference make? Honestly don't know so just wondering. Also the attendance, was that how many actually turned up or did they count people who didn't go?

Attendance: 6,821 (796 from Walsall) (note this it is essentially tickets sold, including season tickets)
from https://stagsnet.net/match/reports/view ... tchid=1184

Do you think the club will publish the actual bums on seats attendance to get a fairer view of the number of season ticket holders who could not make it?

As I said in my report, I would guess we will hear from David Sharpe in the coming weeks what conclusions have been drawn. I don't expect the bums on seats attendance will be published, as he would then have to do that for other games to get a comparison.

Visually, I thought the Quarry Lane end looked pretty full, as did the West Stand Upper. Clearly some people were not able to attend given the earlier kick-off, but it did not look to me like large numbers.

I very much doubt the trial will be repeated given the EFL's later message to clubs (see my report for reminder of what that was). In future, I'd expect any games being moved to an earlier kick-off will be on police advice or for TV.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby scotsstag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:28 am

grufti wrote:The lad that plays in a morning that I know made the game, with his dad, because the games were postponed due to the Ref dispute so we probably haven't tested the effect of kids playing in the morning.
No mention here that the earlier kick off led to players on the far side having the sun in their eyes, which isn't a good idea.
I also only just made the kick off due to a long journey and bad traffic.
3pm every time for me, then I can fit dinner at my mum's in too.

Great last sentence, little things like that just make matchday special :thumbup: :)
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:02 am

Looks like Mr Sharpe is in South Africa at the moment, so you might have to wait a while!
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:33 am

1pm is not for me, I thought the atmosphere a little flat at times, and also going home when other games were kicking off I'm not a fan of.
I dare say we won't get much of a say.

As an aside to this I will say watching kids of 9, 10, up to 12 yo with parents with them in H Block, shouting " You s*** b**t** aaaah!!" at the oppo goalkeeper doesn't fill me with hope for the next generation...maybe I'm getting old.

Sorry to be a mood hoover..
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:37 am

Pitkin wrote:1pm is not for me, I thought the atmosphere a little flat at times, and also going home when other games were kicking off I'm not a fan of.

As an aside to this I will say watching kids of 9, 10, up to 12 yo with parents with them in H Block, shouting " You s*** b**t** aaaah!!" at the oppo goalkeeper doesn't fill me with hope for the next generation...maybe I'm getting old.

You should try reffing football at that age group :lol: I helped out a local youth league a few years ago, the standard of behaviour from parents and one or two of the kids was shocking. No wonder when you see Klopp and other behaving like demented morons. This abusive culture has to be stamped out from the top down, in football that starts with the Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63281933
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:54 am

Rob wrote:
Pitkin wrote:1pm is not for me, I thought the atmosphere a little flat at times, and also going home when other games were kicking off I'm not a fan of.

You should try reffing football at that age group :lol: I helped out a local youth league a few years ago, the standard of behaviour from parents and one or two of the kids was shocking. No wonder when you see Klopp and other behaving like demented morons. This abusive culture has to be stamped out from the top down, in football that starts with the Premier League.

There has been a record number of grassroots bans for parents and coaches abusing officials.
It really is a disgrace.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Big yella » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Rob wrote:

Perhaps if the blind fool who was inches away from Salah getting ragged dolled onto the floor had actually got the decision right , Klopp wouldn’t have gone ballistic.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby jpstags » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:30 pm

Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

Perhaps if the blind fool who was inches away from Salah getting ragged dolled onto the floor had actually got the decision right , Klopp wouldn’t have gone ballistic.

This exactly, Klopp was out of order but the officials don't help themselves much of the time.
jpstags
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:25 pm

Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

This is precisely why we have so many problems at the lower levels of the game. You have already, in a previous discussion, said you'd like to stick a flag up a linesman arse so it's hardly a shock you support abuse towards officials who make mistakes. Klopp should get a huge ban, but he won't so this disgraceful conduct at the top level will continue and at lower levels refs will keep getting punched in the face. The strike by refs, ironically in Liverpool, are just the beginning, why should they put up with being physically intimidated by idiots who can't control themselves?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:36 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:id be interested to know the amount of season ticket holders that didnt show and what reflection this would have had on the figure.

Of the four others I go with, only me turned up, mainly due to school half term and going away.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SeanieStag » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:52 pm

jpstags wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

This exactly, Klopp was out of order but the officials don't help themselves much of the time.

Abuse is abuse. It’s not justified under any circumstances. There’s plenty of idiots who post on here but that doesn’t give me carte blanche to abuse them no matter how much I think they might deserve it.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dave Wayne » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:59 pm

Hon Sec wrote:

Of the four others I go with, only me turned up, mainly due to school half term and going away.

Of our group of 6 ST holders, 3 were absent but all were on holiday so would have been missing whatever time it kicked off.
On the other side of the coin, I would have missed a 3pm kick off but was able to make it at 1pm.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:01 am

Rob wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

This is precisely why we have so many problems at the lower levels of the game. You have already, in a previous discussion, said you'd like to stick a flag up a linesman arse so it's hardly a shock you support abuse towards officials who make mistakes. Klopp should get a huge ban, but he won't so this disgraceful conduct at the top level will continue and at lower levels refs will keep getting punched in the face. The strike by refs, ironically in Liverpool, are just the beginning, why should they put up with being physically intimidated by idiots who can't control themselves?

Yep, thought so. The thin black line union sticks together again. Not one word about the awful decision made from inches away.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:23 am

Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

Yep, thought so. The thin black line union sticks together again. Not one word about the awful decision made from inches away.

He had the authority to make that decision by the football association, the fans are just paid spectators, with no authority from anyone , and any action taken is illegal
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:27 pm

Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Rob wrote:

It was the wrong decision, they happen, that does not justify abuse. The ref that had his face rearranged also apparently made a bad decision, I guess you'd argue he was asking for it :roll:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Re: Walsall Kick-off Time Brought Forward

Postby adamstag » Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:51 pm

i’m yet to hear what the findings were from this “experiment” was.

I look forward to the club announcing their “findings”
adamstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum