{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Can Stags finish in the TOP 7 (PLAY-OFFS)

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Can Stags finish in the TOP 3

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:32 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:way way to early to call

:lol: :roll:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 pm

broomo wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
broomo wrote:There will be at least a dozen posters back to slating him for poor tactics if we don't beat Crewe. Even if he picks the same team who dismantled Donny and Gillingham.

At least one of those will call him a dinosaur not fit for modern football.

Then when we beat Hartlepool it'll be because they were poor.

stop being negative

You'll be one of the dozen.

don’t be a hater
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:55 pm

broomo wrote:There will be at least a dozen posters back to slating him for poor tactics if we don't beat Crewe. Even if he picks the same team who dismantled Donny and Gillingham.

If we lose, the 'we don't have any strikers or defenders' argument will rear its head.

If we win, it's deathly quiet and suddenly not a peep of having enough strikers or defenders.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:15 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

If we lose, the 'we don't have any strikers or defenders' argument will rear its head.

If we win, it's deathly quiet and suddenly not a peep of having enough strikers or defenders.

After a good result why would people look for reasons we might not have won? It makes sense after a bad result for people to look for those reasons.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:45 pm

Its called human nature ,though some on here do overreact sometimes ,the people who criticise them are doing exactly the same by generalising everybody
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:51 pm

The bigger picture even if one of the non permanent, temporary, work experience centre backs volleys it in his own net unchallenged on Saturday is that we concede the second fewest chances in League Two, the fewest at home and the third fewest away. We may concede occasionally, and it might be a massive horlicks but overall the team defends well.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:16 pm

We don't have enough defenders.

Wing back (both sides) we've got Macca and Gordon.

Centre back we have Hewitt, Harbottle, Hawkins, Perch and O'Toole.

It's not enough. Unless we can go injury free for the rest of the season.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:23 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We don't have enough defenders.

no point gazza, some just not don’t won’t to except the bleeding obvious
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:48 pm

I suspect if there’s a defensive injury crisis like you suggest, we’ll just switch to a four.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:00 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

I suspect if there’s a defensive injury crisis like you suggest, we’ll just switch to a four.

We didn't at Doncaster after Perch was injured. Don't forget, this "crisis" has already happened thankfully it was only for a short period and the game being called off last week helped too. Not sure how long we'll get away with it for, hopefully until January! Gazza and Yorkie are, of course, right and are far from the only ones to have called for the signing of a CB prior to the window closing.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:09 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:

Probably. Or we go to macca at CB, or Bowery or even Gordon at CB and Bowery at RWB. Neither I'm fully comfortable with.

Either way 3 injuries in defence and we've got a crisis. Worst case is Gordon, Macca and a Hewitt (because Hewitt has covered wing back).. What team do we go with. Assuming that the team that started Saturday is our strongest XI (I know people's strongest XI is different, imo it is our strongest so far this season). We have already had Gordon, O’Toole and Perch. And while we survived. Bowery at RWB still made too many errors and poor backpass es nearly cost us if it wasn't for Pym.

Wallace was billed as a backup to Macca and when Macca got injured he played midfield. So does he still count?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:11 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

We didn't at Doncaster after Perch was injured. Don't forget, this "crisis" has already happened thankfully it was only for a short period and the game being called off helped too. Not sure how long we'll get away with it for, hopefully until January! Gazza and Yorkie are, of course, right and are far from the only ones to have called for the signing of a CB prior to the window closing.

True, but it’s a bit different starting a 90 minute game level than it is bringing Wallace on for twenty mins into a game we were dominating with a two goal lead.

I maintain my stance as per previously, five for three positions is enough centre back wise.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:13 pm

gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Probably. Or we go to macca at CB, or Bowery or even Gordon at CB and Bowery at RWB. Neither I'm fully comfortable with.

Either way 3 injuries in defence and we've got a crisis. Worst case is Gordon, Macca and a Hewitt (because Hewitt has covered wing back).. What team do we go with. Assuming that the team that started Saturday is our strongest XI (I know people's strongest XI is different, imo it is our strongest so far this season). We have already had Gordon, O’Toole and Perch. And while we survived. Bowery at RWB still made too many errors and poor backpass es nearly cost us if it wasn't for Pym.

Wallace was billed as a backup to Macca and when Macca got injured he played midfield. So does he still count?

Would be an interesting one. In your worse case scenario I would guess Bowery and Akins/Lapslie at wing backs with Swan coming in up front, or Bowery right back and Perch left back.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Why do you always have to turn every discussion into about Nigel? This thread isn't about Nigel at all. This topic is actually about whether the squad is good enough for a top 3 finish. (To which my answer is: "I think we we are still a quality central defender and a striker short. However, I expect us to be in the mix - and it will probably depend on what happens in January as to where we eventually finish").
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:39 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Would be an interesting one. In your worse case scenario I would guess Bowery and Akins/Lapslie at wing backs with Swan coming in up front, or Bowery right back and Perch left back.

Thats scary that with just 3 injuries we resort to that though. And with very little defensive cover on the bench.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:53 pm

It is but I think with three injuries to their two right backs and first choice left back any team would be in the same position no?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:30 pm

We don't play with right backs at the moment. I don't rate kellan with the defensive responsibility of a full back. Hewitt covered him, and covered him well. Besides

Hewitt I rate at RB and as a RCB, jury out on wing back but is a decent enough option there (again though. If he's covering wing back we lose a CB. Limiting our centre back options.

If 2 or 3 injuries means he's got to swap formation then you didn't have enough players for the formation to begin with. That's why I think we need a LWB and a CB or RWB if possible.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:40 pm

Bros wrote:
part time pete wrote:So which match will we hit 50pts if we continue at this rate of points per match.

I'll start you off Pete, Walsall New year's Day

At 1.78 ppg we would reach 50 points after 28.1 matches. Northampton away on 21st January is the 28th match and Doncaster at home the week after is the 29th subject to no postponements.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:42 pm

gazza1988 wrote:We don't play with right backs at the moment. I don't rate kellan with the defensive responsibility of a full back. Hewitt covered him, and covered him well. Besides

Hewitt I rate at RB and as a RCB, jury out on wing back but is a decent enough option there (again though. If he's covering wing back we lose a CB. Limiting our centre back options.

If 2 or 3 injuries means he's got to swap formation then you didn't have enough players for the formation to begin with. That's why I think we need a LWB and a CB or RWB if possible.

Yes I was just using that as an example.

Although you wouldn’t like it, the answer is that Bowery would play one of the wing back positions, Akins would play the other and O’Toole would replace Hewitt. Swan up front or Perch into centre back and Hawkins up top.

Cloughs methods will never satisfy you Gazza, rightly or wrongly, because he used players in multiple positions even if they’ve not played there before. He’s on record as saying he see’s good footballers rather than a particular position.

Anyway should probably halt this discussion as maybe heading off topic.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:47 am

IMO i think it will depend where we are when Oates returns to action.
Playing catch up makes top 3 very difficult. We have done very well last couple of games without him, but still lack a bit of cutting edge without him. He was certainly a miss v Carlisle. Half time on Saturday should have been 0-5. A fluke or deflection from Gillingham could have changed things and there are going to be much tougher tests than them coming up.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:50 am

victor A block wrote:IMO i think it will depend where we are when Oates returns to action.
Playing catch up makes top 3 very difficult. We have done very well last couple of games without him, but still lack a bit of cutting edge without him. He was certainly a miss v Carlisle. Half time on Saturday should have been 0-5. A fluke or deflection from Gillingham could have changed things and there are going to be much tougher tests than them coming up.

Or on the flip side of this should have been 3-0 up at Orient at half time with him in the side!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:56 am

Controversial opinion time again.

Oatesy probably had a worse start to the season than any other first team player.

He missed chances, his hold up play was none existent and he invariably made the wrong decision when running with the ball at his feet. He was nowhere near his best, at his best he's unplayable.

He's without doubt our most exciting attacker to watch and I'll be buzzing to have him back fit and strong but he should have won the Orient game for us on chances alone.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Simplystaggered » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:18 pm

broomo wrote:Controversial opinion time again.

Oatesy probably had a worse start to the season than any other first team player.

He missed chances, his hold up play was none existent and he invariably made the wrong decision when running with the ball at his feet. He was nowhere near his best, at his best he's unplayable.

He's without doubt our most exciting attacker to watch and I'll be buzzing to have him back fit and strong but he should have won the Orient game for us on chances alone.

I don't think that's too controversial, he wasn't close to his best. If Swan comes back from his bug in the same sort of nick that it looked like he was finding before he took ill then we'll have 3 in form bodies competing for 2 spots. That should take the weight off Oates and give him time to come back properly and get back to his best. We'll definitely need him for the second half of the season.
Simplystaggered
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Conker » Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:22 pm

Not controversial at all Oates had a poor start without a doubt.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Scothie the Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:27 pm

Spiritater wrote:Target 1 50 points.
We should not be putting up such threads so early as it smacks of entitlement imo.

I've seen you reel out this line on a number of occasions and I just don't get it. If you are largely equipped for a better job/promotion at work, but have one or two weaknesses (as all people/teams do), do you back yourself and apply, or instead do you worry about redundancy/being sacked?

When you've shown that you're almost ready and arguably strengthened (yes, we all know the weaknesses), is it really entitlement to be backing yourself? If we were saying we deserve it over the other teams because X, Y and Z, then fair enough. We're not, it's just being asked, can we?
Scothie the Stag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum