{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cods scorefred sponsored by no more golf talk

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cods scorefred sponsored by no more golf talk

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:02 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:I couldn’t care less about this game to be honest, just want the first teamers through safely and the baffling Bowery centre back experiment to end.

it’s been tried on numerous occasions and blatantly doesn’t work. Hopefully the penny has dropped and he puts it to bed for good.

Again i couldn’t really care less about this competition but at least hopefully something good will come from it in this sense.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:08 pm

Well done to the guys who have travelled

Hopefully the fish n chips were worth it.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:13 pm

What worries me is that Clough will do stuff like this in a game that matters.
Squad is threadbare and we have yet another injury, but at least that gives him a ready made excuse.
And what contract did we give O Toole when he had us over a barrel because he was playing well, and now he's gone back to slow and not very good, another two seasons is it? Money well spent there, same with Perch and Quinn, it needed new younger blood, but he stuck with the tried and tested.
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:18 pm

1970Stag wrote:What worries me is that Clough will do stuff like this in a game that matters.
Squad is threadbare and we have yet another injury, but at least that gives him a ready made excuse.
And what contract did we give O Toole when he had us over a barrel because he was playing well, and now he's gone back to slow and not very good, another two seasons is it? Money well spent there, same with Perch and Quinn, it needed new younger blood, but he stuck with the tried and tested.

Ridiculous post. You don’t know details of the contract but think it’s not a good idea to sign a player because he is playing well ?
Last edited by Elkesley Stag on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:21 pm

Stags throw. Level with 6 yard area on the right. Harbottle throws it long and it just deflects out of the area and cleared.

Watched 15 minutes and not much to report.

Has it been this grim all game?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:22 pm

well that’s that then
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:22 pm

FT its a 2-0 loss.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:23 pm

Getting what we deserve. Nothing.

If this is our famous strength in depth, we have more problems than I thought.

Looking for a positive, Jason Law is back and will be another option.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:24 pm

My concern is if you can call it that, that any little “doubts” I had about a few of these players appear to have shown themselves tonight.

O’Toole, Quinn, Perch all look very old and leggy, Perch tries to be aggressive at the half way line and a lot of the time it backfires.

Gordon gives too much space to the player he should be marking, takes him 10 seconds before he decided what he’s doing with the ball.

Macca is less effective further forward in a wing back position and is more effective at LB with space infront of him.

Gale isn’t ready yet, hence why NC is adamant he wants him on loan.

Swan, in and out of the game, good in short spells.

Wallace has the turning circle of a lorry and too often just plays what he sees.

Bloody hell, that’s a negative post, bring on a 0-3 win at Crewe.
Last edited by lifestags on Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:28 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:What worries me is that Clough will do stuff like this in a game that matters.

Ridiculous post. You don’t know details of the contract but think it’s not a good idea to sign a player because he is playing well ?

Look at O Toole and how he's moved around. We have signed a lot of old players on extensions, and most have been 1 year too long on all of them, especially if we are looking for promotion, because you let players go if you go up. Northampton did it with O Toole no? We should have signed him, because he was having a possitive impact on the team, but the length of the contract was too long, but O Toole knew Clough needed him. If you cant see that, then that's not my fault.
I hope they all prove me wrong and get promoted, but Boateng and Oates are big losses, and I'm not sure if we will see Oates back this year?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:30 pm

1970Stag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:

Look at O Toole and how he's moved around. We have signed a lot of old players on extensions, and most have been 1 year too long on all of them, especially if we are looking for promotion, because you let players go if you go up. Northampton did it with O Toole no? We should have signed him, because he was having a possitive impact on the team, but the length of the contract was too long, but O Toole knew Clough needed him. If you cant see that, then that's not my fault.
I hope they all prove me wrong and get promoted, but Boateng and Oates are big losses, and I'm not sure if we will see Oates back this year?

Did you see it and post at the time the offer was being made to O’ Toole ?
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:34 pm

Just flicked back to their first goal.

What was that? Nobody seemed to know what they should be doing. Bowery pretty much on the left wing and as they break towards where bowery should be he jogs back. He' doesn't try to run untill Khan's touch past O'Toole (who may as well not been there).

The 2nd. Perch slid in and ends up cushioning the pass for the intended target for grimsby. Looked like he was trying to flick the ball to Wallace but doesn't get anywhere enough on the pass to get anywhere near him. Bowery immediately leaves his man to close him down leaving him free to run at flinders and knock it past him.

It begs the question. Is it good enough strength in depth or do we actually need a good backup left wing back and centre back?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:35 pm

1970Stag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:

O'Toole had a good offer from Donny and our supporters where behind the club to sign him .
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:42 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:

Who cares what offer he got. He’s poor. Couldn’t pass the ball last season but AtLeast he anticipated well, which made up for being slow. He seems to have lost his ability to anticipate as well now, and judge things. He’s caught out often, and his passing is big ooof
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:

Every time I think the club is making a bad decision, you think I should post about it on here? I talk to my son and brother about it instead. I'd have just got shouted down as a negative nelly, so I keep those thoughts to myself. If he gets us promoted, I'd have been the first to put my hand up and say I thought that long contract was a mistake, glad it wasn't. I have said all along this squad is too old and too slow though. Does that count?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:19 pm

AshoverStag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:
1970Stag wrote:
Elkesley Stag wrote:

Who cares what offer he got. He’s poor. Couldn’t pass the ball last season but AtLeast he anticipated well, which made up for being slow. He seems to have lost his ability to anticipate as well now, and judge things. He’s caught out often, and his passing is big ooof

Sorry, I am a bit lost. Can you give examples of O'Toole not being able to pass last season. I am genuinely mystified by this.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:34 pm

stag324 wrote:Well done to the guys who have travelled

They were marvellous!

Definitely a game of two halves both played at our end of the ground. We played much better 2nd half when Bowery switched to LWB and Hewitt brought on. However, it once again highlighted the squad depth just isn't there, as many of us have been saying all season. Fingers crossed on the injury front!

This game was worth 10k and getting to the Final was worth hundreds of thousands to clubs like Lincoln. I get some aren't bothered, but I would imagine our owner is.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:16 pm

Post match interview says Hartigan has dislocated his shoulder. He will be out for a few weeks Clough said.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby NEStag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:17 pm

He also mentions Boateng currently being out. When he was originally injured two or three weeks ago they said he’d be back in 1 - 2 weeks so must be worse than anticipated.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby stag324 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:45 pm

Rob wrote:
stag324 wrote:Well done to the guys who have travelled

They were marvellous!

Definitely a game of two halves both played at our end of the ground. We played much better 2nd half when Bowery switched to LWB and Hewitt brought on. However, it once again highlighted the squad depth just isn't there, as many of us have been saying all season. Fingers crossed on the injury front!

This game was worth 10k and getting to the Final was worth hundreds of thousands to clubs like Lincoln. I get some aren't bothered, but I would imagine our owner is.

I agree Rob a game of two halves but that first half was as bad as I’ve seen for a few years.
Second half we looked better but still devoid of ideas up front.

Also agreed the money is important and all those saying it’s a waste of time should realise winning it could help us sign that CB or CF we all know we need.

Glad the fish n chips were good
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:48 pm

The game reminded me of the Salford game, gave them two early goals then played a lot better second half but couldn’t score.

Yes the fish and chips were very good.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:14 pm

Absolute rhubarb tonight. The Hartigan injury is a massive blow as I’d say he’s been one of our best players so far. Luckily we’ve got lots of other midfielders to replace him with so it won’t be felt as much if it was a defender or striker.

I agree with the above comment about O’Toole going off the boil, it started at the back end of last season. He’s not the only one though, Macca and Oates (before injury) haven’t really got going this season. That’s football though, Akins is playing well after an average first season and Lapslie is coming good.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby SeanieStag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:17 pm

part time pete wrote:The game reminded me of the Salford game.

This game reminded me of when I volunteered for the Samaritans.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Nutty Stag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Anyone else notice that JJ's form went out the window when he started to grow his hair again?
Nutty Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:24 am

Having slept on that match, I still can’t see many positives from the game.

We made a shed load of changes but apart from Gale, every member of that team are supposed to be capable of carrying the club to promotion. On the evidence of the first half, that would never happen. Posters have insisted that we have enough cover in defence, especially at centre half, but the first 45 minutes show that is far from the truth.

Our team is built on a very strong midfield with its energy providing the main chances of winning football matches. Last night showed just how weak our team really is when that midfield is not on top form and how the myth of squad depth is simply untrue.

Remember Grimsby also made 9 changes from their league team. Which squad looked more resilient?

I must give some perspective by acknowledging that we were much better in the second half but will point out that even then, we never really looked capable of turning the match around. Perhaps with a few more of the regular players on the pitch that may not have been the case.

We can only look towards the next league game and hopefully normal service will be resumed. Very nice to see Mr Law back on the field and I’ll take that as the biggest positive of the night.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum