{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Cods scorefred sponsored by no more golf talk

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Cods scorefred sponsored by no more golf talk

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:15 am

NEStag wrote:He also mentions Boateng currently being out. When he was originally injured two or three weeks ago they said he’d be back in 1 - 2 weeks so must be worse than anticipated.

I'm impressed with Boateng, and frustrated that his injury problem is dragging on. But I was wondering how he could fit in to the first eleven, with so many getting established on the team sheet. If he can get fit in time maybe the Hartigan injury will be an opportunity for him.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:29 am

Hartigan injury frustrating as we really should not have played him. Protect as many of the first team as possible. Suspect the options were limited and therefore Bowery at centre back rather than the third player in midfield. Centre back issue again. However Gail looked promising and Law looked good again.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:51 am

I think the talk of failing squad depth is a little harsh. Yes it was a poor first half last night, but the eight players who came in last night have all been part of a winning starting eleven this season at least once, five of them in the league and three of them in the PJ Trophy.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:04 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think the talk of failing squad depth is a little harsh. Yes it was a poor first half last night, but the eight players who came in last night have all been part of a winning starting eleven this season at least once, five of them in the league and three of them in the PJ Trophy.

Ok Mussy, I take that point but can you honestly say that in the positions they played, almost any of the outfield players are good enough for a top three finish if they played those positions on a regular basis and were regular members of the team?

I fully accept that there are occasions when your team is short and we can’t expect ready made replacements for every position thus having to use stop gaps. Which of the centre halves would you be happy to be regular first choice starters? To say they were pedestrian is being kind and that exposes the point many of us have been making for a considerable time. Make no mistake those players will have to start at centre half on a number of occasions throughout the season. We will need a lot of cover from midfield when they do.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby victor A block » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:10 am

MTFCMusings wrote:I think the talk of failing squad depth is a little harsh. Yes it was a poor first half last night, but the eight players who came in last night have all been part of a winning starting eleven this season at least once, five of them in the league and three of them in the PJ Trophy.

Not having enough players to select an alternative side to the first team he wanted to play Saturday means risking players you want for that game. Exit Hartigan for a few weeks as a result.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:28 am

The squad depth is exactly the same argument we were having last season during the injury/suspension crisis.

Our starting 11 is as good as anything in the division. Can we absorb one or two "fringe" players at a time? Yes.

Can we absorb 8 of them in the same starting 11? Almost definitely not.

Yet we still had enough chances to get something out of the game.

O'Toole has to score, Harbottle probably should as well. The Perch deflection could have gone anywhere and Swan has had 2 very decent better than half chances.

The 2 goals we conceded were poor centrally, the Bowery experiment didn't work and was a mistake.

Losing Hartigan is a horrible blow but slot either Quinn, Wallace or even Law into the 10 main men and we'll be ok.

Hopefully Boateng is a max of 2 games away. Get him back (and he has to be right when we bring him back) and we'll be back to having the strongest midfield in the league.

Shout out to Elliot Hewitt who looked very good when he came on.

They were the better side for 45 minutes but if we don't play Bowery in the back 5 it may have been very different.

The first half line up and mistakes from O'Toole, Perch and then Bowery cost us the game but lets be realistic, it was a game not many of us overly cared about.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:52 am

broomo wrote:The squad depth is exactly the same argument we were having last season during the injury/suspension crisis.

Our starting 11 is as good as anything in the division. Can we absorb one or two "fringe" players at a time? Yes.

O'Toole has to score, Harbottle probably should as well. The Perch deflection could have gone anywhere and Swan has had 2 very decent better than half chances.

The 2 goals we conceded were poor centrally, the Bowery experiment didn't work and was a mistake.

Losing Hartigan is a horrible blow but slot either Quinn, Wallace or even Law into the 10 main men and we'll be ok.

Hopefully Boateng is a max of 2 games away. Get him back (and he has to be right when we bring him back) and we'll be back to having the strongest midfield in the league.

They were the better side for 45 minutes but if we don't play Bowery in the back 5 it may have been very different.

The first half line up and mistakes from O'Toole, Perch and then Bowery cost us the game but lets be realistic, it was a game not many of us overly cared about.

Broomo I think you need to take those rose coloured glasses off. Yes we had a few half chances but nowhere near as many as Grimsby did. They missed some proper sitters and if both teams took all of their chances we would have lost about 11-3.

I agree Hewitt looked very good and think he is probably our most underrated player by fans. On last night’s showing neither Quinn (especially) nor Wallace would get anywhere near filling Hartigan’s boots but I do accept that Wallace could be close after a lot of much needed game time. Unfortunately Quinn’s time appears to be up as he also appears to have lost his flame. Last night he was more like a damp squib but could improve slightly with better players around him.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:58 am

Where did you all go for your fish and chips?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:08 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
broomo wrote:The squad depth is exactly the same argument we were having last season during the injury/suspension crisis.

Broomo I think you need to take those rose coloured glasses off. Yes we had a few half chances but nowhere near as many as Grimsby did. They missed some proper sitters and if both teams took all of their chances we would have lost about 11-3.

I agree Hewitt looked very good and think he is probably our most underrated player by fans. On last night’s showing neither Quinn (especially) nor Wallace would get anywhere near filling Hartigan’s boots but I do accept that Wallace could be close after a lot of much needed game time. Unfortunately Quinn’s time appears to be up as he also appears to have lost his flame. Last night he was more like a damp squib but could improve slightly with better players around him.

I watched the game last night and in fairness Grimsby fringe players performed far better than our fringe players , whether we like it or not our assembled squad is strong in Midfield and goalkeeping areas but lacking depth in defence and attack.
excuses such as we needed to give our players game time applies to both teams. £10000+ at this level is not to be sniffed at! and in my opinion you put out a team to win not just to acquire game time or please players.
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:20 am

Think Tater should stay on for fred Saturday

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:49 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Think Tater should stay on for fred Saturday

:D Taters time as come to an End I’m
Afraid :D
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:54 am

part time pete wrote:The game reminded me of the Salford game, gave them two early goals then played a lot better second half but couldn’t score.

I said the same to Dave during the game Pete. We conceded two soft goals through the middle in the 1st half and then dominated the 2nd half but we would not have scored if we had played until midnight. The 2nd goal reminded me of the second goal at Tranmere away last season when James Perch tried to win the ball and failed and then Tranmere ran through the middle and scored.

Daniel Orsi must love playing against the Stags. 4 goals in 2 games in the B Team Pizza Trophy.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:07 pm

I thought the team was selected from players needing game time and it showed, a poor midfield , Bowery in central defence their is a reason for it ant a clue what it is.
They were a yrd faster than us and more up for it.
Overal a poor night for Mansfield fans, and a sad blow with Hartigan getting injured.
The game improved when Harbottle, Hewitt Lapslie came on,
Take the hit and move on.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:20 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Ok Mussy, I take that point but can you honestly say that in the positions they played, almost any of the outfield players are good enough for a top three finish if they played those positions on a regular basis and were regular members of the team?

I fully accept that there are occasions when your team is short and we can’t expect ready made replacements for every position thus having to use stop gaps. Which of the centre halves would you be happy to be regular first choice starters? To say they were pedestrian is being kind and that exposes the point many of us have been making for a considerable time. Make no mistake those players will have to start at centre half on a number of occasions throughout the season. We will need a lot of cover from midfield when they do.

Not on last nights performance no, but O’Toole and Perch played plenty of games in a top side last seasons, as did Quinn. Swan is a decent player and gives us a different type of option.

I’d be happy for O’Toole to be a regular starter, I wouldn’t discard him after a slow start to the season after an excellent one last term. But at the moment he’s not one of the starting centre backs.

I think it’s worth pointing out motivational factors for this game too. The players who came in for us were on a hiding to nothing, no chance of our starting eleven changing through choice and therefore little motivation to put in a brilliant display. Grimsby are at home on Saturday where they are yet to win a game in the league, so positions were more up for grabs.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
part time pete wrote:The game reminded me of the Salford game, gave them two early goals then played a lot better second half but couldn’t score.

I said the same to Dave during the game Pete. We conceded two soft goals through the middle in the 1st half and then dominated the 2nd half but we would not have scored if we had played until midnight. The 2nd goal reminded me of the second goal at Tranmere away last season when James Perch tried to win the ball and failed and then Tranmere ran through the middle and scored.

Daniel Orsi must love playing against the Stags. 4 goals in 2 games in the B Team Pizza Trophy.

That Harrogate game was horrific :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:30 pm

We should have stuck with the golf talk. Much more entertaining than the match.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Staghammer » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:50 am

I can understand NC's stance that these matches give some players game time, but personally believe this competition is irrelevant. Do the forum believe the bringing back of the County Cup matches as a suitable replacement would be more suitable for the club and supporters?
Staghammer
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Ralphy » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:13 am

Staghammer wrote:I can understand NC's stance that these matches give some players game time, but personally believe this competition is irrelevant. Do the forum believe the bringing back of the County Cup matches as a suitable replacement would be more suitable for the club and supporters?

Not for me personally, we would end up playing some non league team that want to smash us like Ilkeston set out to do (and did against Thompson) and we would end up with more injuries
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Spiritater » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:43 am

Billy the fish wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:Think Tater should stay on for fred Saturday

:D Taters time as come to an End I’m
Afraid :D

T'is what it is Billy. Sooner lose t'fred for a meaningless run out for the second team. Goood luck to Paulstag with his thread.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:54 am

Watched the highlights.

Granted it was only a snapshot of the game but JJ looked slower than Hawkins and that's saying something.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum