{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Gills scorefred sponsored by farewell Elizabeth

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Gills scorefred sponsored by farewell Elizabeth

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:07 pm

That ball from Hartigan though.... :shock:
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:15 pm

Great job again Gazza!
It was (almost) like being there.

:clap: :clap: :thumbup:
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby diablo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Excellent win...
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:31 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:35 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:01 pm

"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:07 pm

I thought Hartigan was the pick of the midfield on Tuesday, he seems to be the midfielder who is most likely to play the forward pass at the moment. That through ball looks effortless but it’s just so good.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:50 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:07 am

Listening to NC and Maccas interviews you get a real insight of how they’re expected to play - Lapslie getting past Akins, Akins holding up for Macca and Gordon to be able to advance, one CB passing out right, one CB passing out left, etc
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 am

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:06 am

I have seen some absolute nonsense said by football managers in my time, but this is right up there

Harris said: “I said quite a lot at half-time that will stay behind the four walls of the changing room, this was a monumental occasion for the country and the football club. A lady (Queen Elizabeth II) gave great service to the country with real bravery and we didn’t match that bravery.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:00 am

An excellent win for the Stags at the Priestfield Stadium. I sat on the halfway line in the Medway Stand as I wanted to get a decent view of the game. It was very hot as we bathed in the sunshine. The bloke next to me ended up with a very red face. The Stags were brilliant in the 1st half and could easily have been 5-0 up at half time. We did not create as many chances in the 2nd half but we coped easily with Gillingham's attacks and managed the game well to come away with their second away win and third clean sheet of the season. It was very hard to pick a MOM as they all played really well.

Christy Pym did not have a save to make and "Triple H", (c) Gareth Jellyman, were rock solid at the back. Oli Hawkins and Elliott Hewitt won everything in the air. Riley Harbottle probably had the toughest game of the three as Mika Mandron kept pulling off on to him did win some of the contested headers against him. Harbottle also had to commit a few fouls to stop Gillingham attacks and was perhaps lucky not to pick up a yellow card in the 1st half. He did pick up a yellow card for another foul in the 65th minute and was then replaced by the calm James Perch.

Kellan Gordon and Stephen McLaughlin both bombed forward at wing back. They both could have scored in the 1st half. Nigel Clough was screaming at Kellan Gordon early on to get higher up the pitch and he was rewarded with an assist for Lucas Akins' goal. He also very amusingly shouted "Kellan. Where do you think you are going?" when Kellan Gordon was wandering up the pitch when we were defending a Gillingham corner. He waved Kellan back to mark a Gillingham player on the edge of the area. However Kellan did then win the ball high up the pitch on the left after we had been defending another Gillingham set piece. He ran through on goal and looked like he could score but he ended up winning a corner. We also had another Kellan Gordon comedy moment in the 2nd half when he was caught late and rolled off the pitch holding his ankle. He then realised what he had done and rolled back on to the pitch which really annoyed the Gillingham fans.

George Maris, Anthony Hartigan and Ollie Clarke were very good in midfield. Maris' passing and link play was very good and he put in a couple of lovely crosses from the left. He also played in Macca on the left who should have scored. Anthony Hartigan's ball to George Lapslie for the second ball was exceptional and Ollie Clarke ran his socks off and constantly closed down the Gills players on the ball. George Maris and Ollie Clarke also won a lot of balls in the air when the ball was bouncing around in midfield. It was Ollie Clarke who won the header that resulted in the 2nd goal. Neil Harris shouted out in the 2nd half "Win the 2nd ball!". A Gillingham fan shouted back "It would be nice to win a 1st ball."

Lucas Akins was superb up front. He could have had and he deserved a hat-trick. George Lapslie was his usual non-stop self and chased everything which won us the penalty and he scored a good 2nd goal. It's nice to see him getting a good run in the side. He's clearly loving it again after seeming a bit down earlier this season. No doubt his family would have come along to watch. Lucas Akins also seems to have found his best position as the lone striker up front in the same way that Rhys Oates did last season.

Alex MacDonald came on as a sub for Gillingham. He played a poor ball that went straight to Christy Pym and a Gillingham fan said "We've not missed Macca's feet have we?" His mate replied "No but we've missed him running around like a headless chicken." He took a decent free kick at the end that was headed over the bar which was Gillingham's best set piece.

I shook Nigel Clough's hand as he walked back to the dressing room and said "Well done". Nigel replied, "Thanks very much. I've received your letter but I've not had chance to reply yet. I'll get back to you as soon as I can." He then walked off before I could point out that I had not written to him. I hope it was a nice letter. :lol:
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:55 am

MTFCMusings wrote:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:20 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::)

Page not found :) ;)
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:31 am

Mighty fine effort to say we played without a recognised forward :D ;)

I shall say the same against crewe next week and see if it works.

Gillingham looked woeful, and they could be struggling with the likes of hartlepool and dale if they’re not careful, from us the defence looked solid, if barely challenged and a 1st away clean sheet is also an added bonus.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:57 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Orient are smashing it at the top, 9 points ahead of us, but.it can't last, can it?

You'd expect barrow and Stevenage to fall away...

Bradford looking good, Andy cook really being lethal with another 2 today.

We're quietly looking pretty in 7th.

Orient are giving themselves the cushion of being able to drop points but they've only played us and Grimsby out of the top half so far and have played 4 out of the bottom 5.

I expect them to level off soon. Having said that, confidence and momentum are hugely important in football and the number of clean sheets they've kept is impressive.

It'll be a big test for us next Saturday against a Crewe side who in my opinion have had the toughest set of fixtures of anyone in the league up to now.

A point there and follow it up with a home win v the monkey hangers on Friday and it will have been another very good week.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:25 pm

:P :P
broomo wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Orient are smashing it at the top, 9 points ahead of us, but.it can't last, can it?

You'd expect barrow and Stevenage to fall away...

Bradford looking good, Andy cook really being lethal with another 2 today.

We're quietly looking pretty in 7th.

Orient are giving themselves the cushion of being able to drop points but they've only played us and Grimsby out of the top half so far and have played 4 out of the bottom 5.

I expect them to level off soon. Having said that, confidence and momentum are hugely important in football and the number of clean sheets they've kept is impressive.

It'll be a big test for us next Saturday against a Crewe side who in my opinion have had the toughest set of fixtures of anyone in the league up to now.

A point there and follow it up with a home win v the monkey hangers on Friday and it will have been another very good week.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:08 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby lifestags » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:14 pm

You’ve got to love George Lapslie, hope he’s the next one to sign a new contract.
lifestags
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:57 pm

Just remembered to pay for the Dartford Crossing!!
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:57 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:An excellent win for the Stags at the Priestfield Stadium. I sat on the halfway line in the Medway Stand as I wanted to get a decent view of the game. It was very hot as we bathed in the sunshine. The bloke next to me ended up with a very red face. The Stags were brilliant in the 1st half and could easily have been 5-0 up at half time. We did not create as many chances in the 2nd half but we coped easily with Gillingham's attacks and managed the game well to come away with their second away win and third clean sheet of the season. It was very hard to pick a MOM as they all played really well.

Christy Pym did not have a save to make and "Triple H", (c) Gareth Jellyman, were rock solid at the back. Oli Hawkins and Elliott Hewitt won everything in the air. Riley Harbottle probably had the toughest game of the three as Mika Mandron kept pulling off on to him did win some of the contested headers against him.

That’s a blast from the past. I think you saw him co-commentating and got confused. ;)
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:01 am

So what did we learn from these ten pages of gold?

We don’t have an out and out striker but are the third highest scorers in the division.
Akins is crap but he scored again and was unlucky not to have had a hat trick.
We don’t have a proper centre half but we kept a clean sheet.
Hartigan was a signing we didn’t need to make yet some of his passing and the assist made your mouth water.

Have I missed anything?! :?
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:50 am

Dan wrote:So what did we learn from these ten pages of gold?

We don’t have an out and out striker but are the third highest scorers in the division.
Hartigan was a signing we didn’t need to make yet some of his passing and the assist made your mouth water.

We know what we've always known. We don't know much. :lol:
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 am

Dan wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:That’s a blast from the past. I think you saw him co-commentating and got confused. ;)

Gareth Jelleyman described Hewitt, Hawkins and Harbottle as "Triple H" in the post match summary on BBC Radio Nottingham which is why I mentioned him. Copyright Gareth Jelleyman.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 am

:P :P
Spiritater wrote:
Dan wrote:So what did we learn from these ten pages of gold?

We know what we've always known. We don't know much. :lol:
bear 73
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum