{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

#HerGameToo

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: #HerGameToo

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:16 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:49 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:27 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Amberheart » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:42 pm

I enjoyed the game it was great to see so many fans there
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Emma-hergametoo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:36 am

Hi All,

If I could just ask you take the time to read this I would really appreciate it. I just wanted to share from my perspective what Her Game Too is about and what my role is with the club for some clarity and to hopefully shed some light on some of the misconceptions.

For those that don’t know who I am, I’m Emma Penlington and I’m the Her Game Too Ambassador for the club.

Her Game Too is an organisation set up by 12 female football fans with an aim of fostering an ethos in football in which women are welcomed and respected equally.

I’ve been a Mansfield fan for nearly 20 years, starting when I was 11 with my Dad. My First game was against Bishop Stortford in the FA Cup and I was hooked. I’ve followed this club up and down the country and absolutely live and breathe it.

When I saw the Ambassador role advertised I had to go for it. I love this club and I’ve had such a good experience over the years (there is still a very small minority where sexism amongst other things do still occur and this is something that does need to stop) but on the whole I’ve felt safe at games.

I’m passionate about the fact that we are a family area and a family and community based club and I want to celebrate that. I want people all over Mansfield and the surrounding areas to get behind the teams and come and watch their local club. I want women and young girls to know they can come to any game and feel welcome and part of the Mansfield family.

To hopefully clear up some misconceptions I have heard -

Her Game Too - the key word here that people miss is Too. No one is trying to take over and say it’s just for women, our line is that football is a game for everyone which it truly is. That’s the message, it isn’t solely about women’s football either, it’s celebrating an inclusive environment whether that be playing football, watching football as a fan, working in football literally anything. It’s not just one area of that. It’s also not saying that Football is this awful place full of sexism - I wouldn’t be at games if that was the case but unfortunately it is still there and it needs to be highlighted and stopped.

I’m just trying to work with the club in a positive and inclusive manner. We need men on side, I wouldn’t be a football fan if it wasn’t for my Dad, we celebrated International Men’s Day by sharing those important Men in our lives that have hugely inspired us and given us this love for football. It’s not an us V them thing at all. We are all together for the love of the beautiful game.

That’s what it’s about, I hope that’s helped clarify a little.

I’m not a bad person, I’m not an angry person, I’m not someone out to cause problems. I’m just here to celebrate Mansfield and let women and young girls know it’s a great club and to get involved however they want to - play, watch, work anything! Just enjoy yourself.

Thanks!
Emma-hergametoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Well said Emma
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bear 73 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:13 pm

I have spent many hours with my wife and daughter at matches and like women in every aspect in life bring their own opinions on the game and can debate with any male.
With womens football on the up and more women presenters it shows the value of their input on the game.
And believe me they know how to celebrate a win
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:28 pm

Respectfully, I still have no idea what the role actually entails
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:29 pm

The sad thing about what Emma has written is that it had to be written at all. In this day and age, it shouldn't need explaining that football in general and MTFC specifically, is an inclusive place for all. Whether male or female, we're all welcome. We have happy clappers, serial moaners, armchair fans, would-be managers, fair-weather fans and loyal fans that follow up and down the country, week in, week out, year after year, win or lose. We all have different opinions but we are united in our love for this club and the beautiful game.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Emma-hergametoo » Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:32 pm

Apologies, I work with the club to ensure there are good reporting procedures in place if required and to follow any reports through with the club to ensure it’s all being dealt with and I keep in touch with the reporter if it’s come directly to me or Her Game Too. It’s also to make sure everything I’ve mentioned above is highlighted and showcased, I help develop initiatives to spread the message and to show the inclusivity and to get new female faces along to the games too. Essentially to keep working with the club on celebrating women in football aligning to everything I’ve mentioned above whether that be for female fans, young girls wanting to play football, the ladies team or women working within the club. We work together to ensure we remain a welcoming family club and make The One Call a place where everyone enjoys being part of the club.
Emma-hergametoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby KirkbyStag2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:28 pm

Champions 1974-75, 1976-77, 2012-13

Freight Rover Trophy Winners 1986-87
KirkbyStag2
Manager
Manager

Postby Emma-hergametoo » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:36 pm

Emma-hergametoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:59 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Dan » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:14 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:03 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:59 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Emma-hergametoo » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:27 am

I just wanted to post to say Thank you for Saturday! The support was fantastic and really reinforces what I’m sharing about how welcoming and inclusive we are as a club! The young girls who were involved loved every second too!
Emma-hergametoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:15 am

I have a pal that freely slags off the increasing role of women in football; and then he remembers the presence of my daughter - 14 years a season ticket holder at Mansfield Town and as knowledgeable as him, me and everyone on this forum about Mansfield Town. 'Obviously not Holly though' is always the immediate reply.

A bit like saying 'blacks are all criminals,.....apart from my mate John, obviously.'
'Foreigners are the root of all our problems,........but not my friend Igor, obviously.'
'Gays shouldn't be seen or heard,......apart from my son who's just this day come out, obviously.'

If you're unconsciously biased only in favour of a certain demographic then it's plain for others to see. Even easier to see when it's typed on the internet.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:02 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:I have a pal that freely slags off the increasing role of women in football; and then he remembers the presence of my daughter - 14 years a season ticket holder at Mansfield Town and as knowledgeable as him, me and everyone on this forum about Mansfield Town. 'Obviously not Holly though' is always the immediate reply.

A bit like saying 'blacks are all criminals,.....apart from my mate John, obviously.'
'Foreigners are the root of all our problems,........but not my friend Igor, obviously.'
'Gays shouldn't be seen or heard,......apart from my son who's just this day come out, obviously.'

If you're unconsciously biased only in favour of a certain demographic then it's plain for others to see. Even easier to see when it's typed on the internet.

I encourage females to come and watch the team. I think it’s an excellent thing.

But women’s football is monkey tennis.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:21 pm

That photo above looks photoshopped.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:33 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I have a pal that freely slags off the increasing role of women in football; and then he remembers the presence of my daughter - 14 years a season ticket holder at Mansfield Town and as knowledgeable as him, me and everyone on this forum about Mansfield Town. 'Obviously not Holly though' is always the immediate reply.

I encourage females to come and watch the team. I think it’s an excellent thing.

As long as they stay in their lane eh?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:39 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby zod » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:41 am

SeanieStag wrote:That photo above looks photoshopped.

If you were at the game then you'd know it wasn't.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:59 am

zod wrote:
SeanieStag wrote:That photo above looks photoshopped.

If you were at the game then you'd know it wasn't.

It clearly has been :lol:
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:43 pm

Sneag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

As long as they stay in their lane eh?

Oh do pipe down, Captain Outraged. I’m talking purely about quality. Women’s football is just not good. It’s got nothing to do about staying in lanes. Jesus you’re a legend.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum