{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

#HerGameToo

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: #HerGameToo -MTFC Ladies

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:10 pm

young vanish wrote:I'm assuming it's whenever Martin posts a link all I see is an empty post, switching off my adblocker or trying with other browsers makes no difference either.

What am I doing wrong . . . or what am I not doing right?

what you're not seeing is embedded tweets. I think either your browsers are out of date or you have something turned on that prevents external content being displayed.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:24 pm

I have the same problem logged in or out on Google. I can see the embedded tweets logged in or out on Microsoft Edge. I can also see them on my phone.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby young vanish » Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:44 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
young vanish wrote:I'm assuming it's whenever Martin posts a link all I see is an empty post, switching off my adblocker or trying with other browsers makes no difference either.

What am I doing wrong . . . or what am I not doing right?

what you're not seeing is embedded tweets. I think either your browsers are out of date or you have something turned on that prevents external content being displayed.

Thanks Martin. Now I know what is supposed to be there I see it's my browser security settings. As a paranoid wrinkly I'll pass.
⚽ What ☆ me ☆ worry? ⚽
young vanish
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: #HerGameToo

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:20 am

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:22 pm

Really good interview with Emma available on iFollow.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Emma-hergametoo » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:49 pm

Thank you Martin!
Emma-hergametoo
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:11 pm

:)

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 pm

Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:38 pm

Why is it still 'Ladies'?

Can't they change it to womens?
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:55 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Why is it still 'Ladies'?

Why?
What difference would it make, still the same team and ladies is hardly derogatory or offensive.
Is it ???
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:43 am

scotsstag wrote:

Why?
What difference would it make, still the same team and ladies is hardly derogatory or offensive.
Is it ???

Apparently ‘ladies’ in some quarters is now.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby zod » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:01 am

Can't wait for tomorrow to watch some gentlemen's football
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:03 am

Offensiveness is a matter of context. The problem with “ladies”,for me, is three-fold:

1. In one context, it denotes a certain elevated social status. While perhaps intended as a compliment, it can be seen as snobbery.

2. In a related context, “lady” implies someone ascribing to or imposing older male standards of what is expected of women. How they dress, politeness, 'ladie-like' behaviour, and even an expectation of subservience to their male counterparts. Again, while maybe intended as a compliment, it can be seen as sexist.

3. In a number of references, it can be a sarcastic reference. For example, “a lady of the night” to describe a prostitute.

It’s become a bit of a loaded word. If you are saying “gentlemen,” then you might be able to get away with saying “ladies” as the two are complementary terms. But if we take our lead from sports, you hardly ever see women’s sports referred to as “ladies” anymore (e.g., “women’s” championships, leagues, etc.). This reflects that no one talks about gentlemen’s tennis, rowing, curling, etc. These are all “men’s” events. Of course, all that spins toward the issue of gender inclusivity, which is a more unwieldy topic.

We have a men's team, so we should have a women's team. If you disagree or even take offence to the term "ladies" being replaced by a more appropriate word women, that probably says more about you, actually.

We support #hergametoo but still have a ladies team. Irony not lost there.

Just a suggestion.
Last edited by arsene wengers coat on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:07 am

part time pete wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Why?
Is it ???

If it makes no difference to you then you won't mind ladies being replaced by women's, I take it?
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:54 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Offensiveness is a matter of context. The problem with “ladies”,for me, is three-fold:

1. In one context, it denotes a certain elevated social status. While perhaps intended as a compliment, it can be seen as snobbery.

2. In a related context, “lady” implies someone ascribing to or imposing older male standards of what is expected of women. How they dress, politeness, 'ladie-like' behaviour, and even an expectation of subservience to their male counterparts. Again, while maybe intended as a compliment, it can be seen as sexist.

3. In a number of references, it can be a sarcastic reference. For example, “a lady of the night” to describe a prostitute.

It’s become a bit of a loaded word. If you are saying “gentlemen,” then you might be able to get away with saying “ladies” as the two are complementary terms. But if we take our lead from sports, you hardly ever see women’s sports referred to as “ladies” anymore (e.g., “women’s” championships, leagues, etc.). This reflects that no one talks about gentlemen’s tennis, rowing, curling, etc. These are all “men’s” events. Of course, all that spins toward the issue of gender inclusivity, which is a more unwieldy topic.

We have a men's team, so we should have a women's team. If you disagree or even take offence to the term "ladies" being replaced by a more appropriate word women, that probably says more about you, actually.

Just a suggestion.

So shouldn’t there be any more bookings for ungentlemanly conduct then?

Should we change all the signs on toilet doors away from gentlemen and ladies?

Maybe we should just refer to everyone as ‘it’ and have done with all of the arguments.

There’s far too much attention on gender language and isn’t dividing people into recognisable groups sexist per se? Surely if something isn’t used in a derogatory manner either intentionally or unintentionally we should get on with life and worry about things that present danger or loss of quality of life.

Apologies to anyone (of whichever gender) who doesn’t want to read political points on the main forum.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:46 pm

Woke BS
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:20 pm

As much as I enjoy a good bit of discourse I respectfully think this is one we can go and keep our noses out of, tbh, lads
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:26 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:
part time pete wrote:
scotsstag wrote:

Why?
Is it ???

If it makes no difference to you then you won't mind ladies being replaced by women's, I take it?

True, couldn’t care less what they are called. There are much more serious things to worry about in the world.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:12 pm

I think ladies sounds better than women so I’m glad we’re called that.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:20 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:

Looking forward to this
KTF !
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:53 am

arsene wengers coat wrote:Offensiveness is a matter of context. The problem with “ladies”,for me, is three-fold:

Just a suggestion.

What it says about me is that I think women and ladies are the same thing.
What your lengthy statement says about you I have no idea and neither do I care.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:38 pm

Mansfield persons sans penis team?

Mansfield people with vaginas team?

Mansfield Menstruation 11?

The thing with being offended is that everyone has different opinions of what is offensive. If enough people make enough noise, they will change the name. Until that time it will be seen as acceptable.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:49 pm

SeanieStag wrote:Mansfield persons sans penis team?

The thing with being offended is that everyone has different opinions of what is offensive. If enough people make enough noise, they will change the name. Until that time it will be seen as acceptable.

It will be seen as acceptable for the simple reason that it is acceptable to the majority of people including most of those of the female gender.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:51 pm

SeanieStag wrote:Mansfield persons sans penis team?

Now you are straying. Many strange people think it’s possible for a woman to have a yoghurt rifle. Who knew?
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum