{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:29 pm

five to three wrote:We saw in this game the problem with playing Aikens up front, in that it requires the midfield to score the goals they are not regularly going to get.

Although I don’t agree 100% with this there may be some logic to it. Carlisle certainly marked our midfield very closely in their own box and didn’t allow them much space when the ball was lose. If teams adopt that tactic instead of concentrating on the lone striker goals could dry up somewhat.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:36 pm

five to three wrote:We saw in this game the problem with playing Aikens up front, in that it requires the midfield to score the goals they are not regularly going to get.

League Goals Scored This Season = 12
Midfield - 5
Forwards - 4 (2 x Penalties)
Defenders - 3
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:44 pm

We are still 5 points better off than last season. We can make it 7 points if we beat Gillingham on Saturday.

Two clean sheets in 8 league games. It took us 11 games to do this last season. 15 games for 3 clean sheets and 20 games for 4 clean sheets.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:47 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:We are still 5 points better off than last season. We can make it 7 points if we beat Gillingham on Saturday.

Two clean sheets in 8 league games. It took us 11 games to do this last season. 15 games for 3 clean sheets and 20 games for 4 clean sheets.

Not doing too bad then :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:23 pm

Jamie wrote:We were very lucky to get a point. Its the worst i've seen us for a while. Only poor finishing helped us as (other than the offside goal) we hardly created anything.

Cloughies insistency to have such a small tight nit squad cost us last night and will probably cost us again in the future, especially as our average age is quite high and he can't keep them fit... Is the issue here that he can't manage bigger names who aren't in the starting eleven? He has his favourites, which is fine, but then if we had the 2/3 extra we're clearly short off, can he manage those players when they aren't starting week in week out. He couldn't with Johnson and to me that is probably why we're a few players light and he hasn't done more business.

We were on top most of the 2nd half, without really ever making any decent chances. Not changing it to put Hawkins up top and bring Gordon on for some pace on the wing was nothing short of daft in my opinion. It stank of lack of ambition (or trust in his squad) unfortunately.

It wasn't really two points dropped as they should have won it with the chances they had, but last 15 minutes we had the chance to push on and try and get a winner but the gaffer decided not stand there shouting instead of actually changing anything worthwhile.

Not to down about it all though, we'll be ok and still look a solid play-off contender with the squad we've got and way we play. We're 3 decent players short of a team that could push for the automatics though, which is a shame given the budget appears to be available.

Not often we are on the same page Jamie, but we are here. You've almost repeated everything we were saying during the game regarding the subs and taking advantage of the luck we'd had earlier in the game. The flat atmosphere said everything about the match, considering there were apparently 5,200 home fans in "attendance".
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:40 pm

Last night was a good point Carlisle came with a game plan to stiffle our midfield defend well and catch us on the break and it worked.
Thats two goals we have had disallowed against them and their winner last season started from a off side position .
Last night they fully deserved their point and could have won.
Hewitt deserved man of the match and we are 1 point better off and one point nearer the magic 50 points.
Of course Clough got it wrong playing Maris, Clarke, Lapslie and we win, now its he should have played more substitutes.
Or the number on the bench, he played one so five was plenty.
With a tremedoes home record its still not enough and a draw is classed as failure.
Maris, Lapslie, Clarke are not the team but members of a squad,.
And while JR, Sharpe, Clough are happy im happy.
There are a lot of clubs plotting Mansfield downfall its part of the game, and perhaps 1 linesman helped and im sure at some point a ref will get it wrong.
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Rob wrote:
Jamie wrote:We were very lucky to get a point. Its the worst i've seen us for a while. Only poor finishing helped us as (other than the offside goal) we hardly created anything.

Cloughies insistency to have such a small tight nit squad cost us last night and will probably cost us again in the future, especially as our average age is quite high and he can't keep them fit... Is the issue here that he can't manage bigger names who aren't in the starting eleven? He has his favourites, which is fine, but then if we had the 2/3 extra we're clearly short off, can he manage those players when they aren't starting week in week out. He couldn't with Johnson and to me that is probably why we're a few players light and he hasn't done more business.

We were on top most of the 2nd half, without really ever making any decent chances. Not changing it to put Hawkins up top and bring Gordon on for some pace on the wing was nothing short of daft in my opinion. It stank of lack of ambition (or trust in his squad) unfortunately.

It wasn't really two points dropped as they should have won it with the chances they had, but last 15 minutes we had the chance to push on and try and get a winner but the gaffer decided not stand there shouting instead of actually changing anything worthwhile.

Not to down about it all though, we'll be ok and still look a solid play-off contender with the squad we've got and way we play. We're 3 decent players short of a team that could push for the automatics though, which is a shame given the budget appears to be available.

Not often we are on the same page Jamie, but we are here. You've almost repeated everything we were saying during the game regarding the subs and taking advantage of the luck we'd had earlier in the game. The flat atmosphere said everything about the match, considering there were apparently 5,200 home fans in "attendance".

I agree with all that too , thought we were very fortunate to come away with a point last night only poor finishing from Carlisle kept us in it. The lack of strikers and some pace in the side is a worry which should have been addressed in last window.
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:45 pm

I posted after the Donny game and the excellent performance with that formation we out in , I wasn't convinced it would work at home...
Unfortunately it didn't but fortunately we escape with a point.
On to Saturday.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:58 pm

bear 73 wrote:Last night was a good point Carlisle came with a game plan to stiffle our midfield defend well and catch us on the break and it worked.
Thats two goals we have had disallowed against them and their winner last season started from a off side position .
Hewitt deserved man of the match and we are 1 point better off and one point nearer the magic 50 points.
Of course Clough got it wrong playing Maris, Clarke, Lapslie and we win, now its he should have played more substitutes.
With a tremedoes home record its still not enough and a draw is classed as failure.
There are a lot of clubs plotting Mansfield downfall its part of the game, and perhaps 1 linesman helped and im sure at some point a ref will get it wrong.

I hope the magic 50 points comment is said in jest bear.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:00 pm

It takes two teams to make a game.Carlisle played well.We will have more games like this as no game is a guaranteed win.If you cant win then don't lose and move on.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:29 pm

Ok 10 day lay off…rusty or just bad day at the office but why not bring Gale on…….we are desperate for an out and out goalscorer who will put the ball in inside the box

So what if he’s raw and limited experience at this level. He proved he’s got a finish in him and

1- He’s got a good touch, pass, control
2- vision
3- Can finish

I agree that midfield seems to be the key area we seem to be able to score from.

Swan and Akins (bringing on Gale later on in the game) and not at 80-90 minutes

We can’t sign anybody and the free agents move don’t seem to be happening

I could have seen Gale putting the ball in last night. Laps/Gale

I’m not normally for critising NC but a Manager like Mowbray and others give youngster the breaks. Look at Rooney last season at Derby

I’m a big NC fan, but not giving a youngster l8ke Gale the chance to break through (when we really need it too). I find very frustrating tbh
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:30 pm

Philip wrote:

Well done for getting a BBC credit on your pic of the 96 doves, which I saw on my BBC news feed last night.

Thank you.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:xG: Mansfield Town 0.9 Carlisle United 0.9 (HT: 0.4-0.6)

One of our lowest xG scores since playing Carlisle United at home last season :lol:

2021-2022 Lowest Home xG Scores
Mansfield Town 0.7 Carlisle United 1.2
Mansfield Town 0.8 Salford City 0.5
Mansfield Town 0.9 Newport County 1.0
Mansfield Town 1.0 Harrogate Town 1.8
Mansfield Town 1.0 Leyton Orient 0.6
Mansfield Town 1.1 Oldham Athletic 0.9
Hard to believe Carlisle xg at 0.90 !!!. They had guilt edge chances. The one at the start of the second half must have been a 0.75 ie score 3 times out of 4 at the very least. Has anyone added up all the xg stats over a season and validated them to ensure they match actual goals and recalibrate. Are they division specific.ie xg higher for Lewandowski and lower for Kristian Demnis for same chance !!

It just goes to show what a crock of raspberries xG really is. Carlisle should have had at least 1.8xG for those two massive chances. I mean the guy missed an open goal and Dennis wasn’t that much different. Plus they had other chances too. Ridiculous that it was the same as ours. Crock of raspberries.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:50 pm

bear 73 wrote:Last night was a good point Carlisle came with a game plan to stiffle our midfield defend well and catch us on the break and it worked.

Bear - I think we can all agree that (on the balance of play) a draw was a decent outcome. I can't however agree that we are (generally) aiming for the 'magic 50 points'. Maybe if we were Rochdale but we are supposed to be going for promotion.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:31 pm

NEStag wrote:

Bear - I think we can all agree that (on the balance of play) a draw was a decent outcome. I can't however agree that we are (generally) aiming for the 'magic 50 points'. Maybe if we were Rochdale but we are supposed to be going for promotion.

he’s taking the wazz youth, our Nigel is top three easy, he knows exactly what he’s doing !!
we are lucky to have him
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:21 pm

ST4GS wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:xG: Mansfield Town 0.9 Carlisle United 0.9 (HT: 0.4-0.6)

One of our lowest xG scores since playing Carlisle United at home last season :lol:

2021-2022 Lowest Home xG Scores
Mansfield Town 0.7 Carlisle United 1.2
Mansfield Town 0.8 Salford City 0.5
Mansfield Town 0.9 Newport County 1.0
Mansfield Town 1.0 Harrogate Town 1.8
Mansfield Town 1.0 Leyton Orient 0.6
Mansfield Town 1.1 Oldham Athletic 0.9
Hard to believe Carlisle xg at 0.90 !!!. They had guilt edge chances. The one at the start of the second half must have been a 0.75 ie score 3 times out of 4 at the very least. Has anyone added up all the xg stats over a season and validated them to ensure they match actual goals and recalibrate. Are they division specific.ie xg higher for Lewandowski and lower for Kristian Demnis for same chance !!

Here is last seasons final table, we actually came out very accurate.

https://experimental361.com/2022/05/09/ ... 2-2021-22/
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:14 am

I thought the Carlisle right back Finn Back (19) (on loan from Nottingham Forest) had a very good game and marked Stephen McLaughlin very well. One for Nigel to consider for the future. Carlisle were ready to close Macca down as soon as he received the ball and he often had 2/3 players pressing him. Jordan Gibson was also very dangerous on the right hand side for Carlisle and the experienced Paul Huntington was solid at centre half heading a lot of balls away.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:46 am

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:51 am

Paul Simpson praises Fin Back and also says "Stephen McLaughlin and Jordan Bowery are as good a players as you’ll find in this league at that wing-back position."

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/214 ... ited-boss/
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:01 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought the Carlisle right back Finn Back (19) (on loan from Nottingham Forest) had a very good game and marked Stephen McLaughlin very well. One for Nigel to consider for the future. Carlisle were ready to close Macca down as soon as he received the ball and he often had 2/3 players pressing him. Jordan Gibson was also very dangerous on the right hand side for Carlisle and the experienced Paul Huntington was solid at centre half heading a lot of balls away.

for me Jordan Gibson their number 7 stood out
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:45 pm

I've been impressed with Jordan Gibson last season and in the games this season. I'd take him over Omari Patrick.

Fin Back looks a great prospect for a 19/20 year old though.
Last edited by Tippy Tappy Football on Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:46 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I thought the Carlisle right back Finn Back (19) (on loan from Nottingham Forest) had a very good game and marked Stephen McLaughlin very well. One for Nigel to consider for the future. Carlisle were ready to close Macca down as soon as he received the ball and he often had 2/3 players pressing him. Jordan Gibson was also very dangerous on the right hand side for Carlisle and the experienced Paul Huntington was solid at centre half heading a lot of balls away.

for me Jordan Gibson their number 7 stood out

Agreed, he did look a handful when running at our players.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:21 am

Whoscored Ratings
Oli Hawkins 7.5
Elliott Hewitt 7.4
Riley Harbottle 7.3
Christy Pym 7.2
Jordan Bowery 7.1
Anthony Hartigan 7.0
Stephen McLaughlin 6.8
Ollie Clarke 6.8
George Maris 6.6
George Lapslie 6.3
Lucas Akins 6.2

Touches
Anthony Hartigan 95
Elliott Hewitt 88
Jordan Bowery 74
George Maris 74
Jack Armer 59
Stephen McLaughlin 57

Accurate Passes (Pass Success %)
Anthony Hartigan 59 (76%)
George Maris 45 (88%)
Jordan Bowery 32 (64%)
Elliott Hewitt 31 (54%)
Riley Harbottle 29 (81%)

Key Passes
George Maris 2
Lucas Akins 2

Defensive Aerials Won
Elliott Hewitt 13
Paul Huntington 7
Jack Armer 5
Fin Back 5
Jordan Bowery 4

Clearances
Paul Huntington 10
Oli Hawkins 7
Jon Mellish 6
Stephen McLaughlin 4
Elliott Hewitt 4
Riley Harbottle 4

Tackles
Fin Back 6
Callum Guy 5
Ollie Clarke 3
Owen Moxon 3

Interceptions
Callum Guy 3
Jack Armer 3
Morgan Feeney 2
Jon Mellish 2
Fin Back 2
Riley Harbottle 2
Omari Patrick 2
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:48 pm

Is that the first time Khan has done absolutely anything of note when playing against us?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:54 pm

HitchcocksShins wrote:Is that the first time Khan has done absolutely anything of note when playing against us?

He never did much of note playing for us.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum