{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:29 am

This was bound to happen & yes we could have lost 4-0 but for Carlisle’s poor finishing! So very fortunate on the night
We have to realise we cant win every game its not a given ! It was a scrappy game and to be fair they were probably the best team we’ve played up to yet ... they never gave us any space to play our normal game they were hard to break down so for me I’ll take the point but still very disappointed.
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bigalstag1 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:47 am

Thought it was a travesty that KG was not brought on. No pace, and we didn't get behind there defence all night. It was crying out for him to come on, just to do something different, but I think Nigel was happy to shut up shop, a long way before the end.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby BH_Stag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:52 am

I agree.

I thought Gordon coming on to give us a bit more attacking threat down the right, and Hawkins going up top with JJ coming on in defence would have been our best bet in trying to get a winner.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 am

Sam Allison is a very poor referee. Tomas Holy in goal could have gone back to the dressing room and made a cup of tea before every goal kick and free kick and Allison would not have noticed. He didn't tell Holy to hurry up once. He was continually stopping and starting the game particularly in the 2nd half so it was difficult for the Stags to build up a period of pressure. He also gave two fouls against Lucas Akins just for being Lucas Akins when Akins was being fouled by the defender.

He has form for allowing timewasting. Here is Northampton manager Jon Brady commenting on his performance last November:

Northampton Town boss Jon Brady was furious with the officials' part in Bristol Rovers' equaliser on Saturday. "You look at the goals we conceded and I've got to say, for the first one, the referee can't pass them the ball. Yes, we should deal with it better, but he's not allowed to touch the ball and he can't just pass them the ball. If you watch the video back, he gives them the ball back, they switch it out wide and put a cross into the box. We know we have to do better with the cross but he's not allowed to touch the ball at all. He's set them up, they've spotted it and played so that's hugely frustrating."

Allison, who later dismissed Rovers midfielder Glenn Whelan, also irked Brady with his time management. "I kept telling the referee and I was asking the fourth official time and time again but I just got waved away. There were eight minutes added but their goalkeeper was taking two minutes over every goal-kick. But that doesn't take away from the fact we should have been better."

Sam Allison was the referee for the Mansfield home game against Leyton Orient in January when he missed a clear handball by Jordan Bowery for the first goal. He was also the referee who gave the last minute penalty to Colchester in August last season and who harshly gave Newport a penalty for the winning goal against the Stags in the 88th minute the previous season when the ball hit Rollin Menayese's arm from a yard away.

Martin's Ratings
Leyton Orient 5
Colchester United 4
Newport County 5
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby pemill » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:05 am

I know we all get very frustrated with time wasting but when have you ever seen anyone get sent off for it, a player may get booked but that's as far as it goes.

Very flat atmosphere last night, all very sombre, I think that was reflected in the performance.

Like someone has said we can't win every game, poor officiating for the Lapslie goal but we got lucky with some poor finishing from them.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:08 am

Our abysmal performance and lack in any sort of ability to change the shape of the game due to a self-inflicted paper thin squad has nothing to do with the referee Darren. How Clough has the nerve to complain about injuries when he is responsible for the size of the squad, surely our smallest since the Haslam days, is beyond me. In fact, we'd had 10 days since the last game, can you imagine if we'd have played Bradford and picked up a couple more knocks? I suspect JJ wasn't fully fit either but was on the bench in case of emergency.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:18 am

Sam Allison is a poor referee Rob based on last night and previous games. The linesman also got the offside decision for George Lapslie's goal wrong.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:19 am

Rob wrote:Our abysmal performance and lack in any sort of ability to change the shape of the game due to a self-inflicted paper thin squad has nothing to do with the referee Darren. How Clough has the nerve to complain about injuries when he is responsible for the size of the squad, surely our smallest since the Haslam days, is beyond me. In fact, we'd had 10 days since the last game, can you imagine if we'd have played Bradford and picked up a couple more knocks? I suspect JJ wasn't fully fit either but was on the bench in case of emergency.

Are you calling last night an abysmal performance?

If so... I'd look up the definition of the words you are using.

Not saying we were great last night, but abysmal is way over the top.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:22 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Sam Allison is a poor referee Rob based on last night and previous games. The linesman also got the offside decision for George Lapslie's goal wrong.

I've not seen a replay of the offside, from our view nearly in line we all agreed he looked offside, I can understand why the Assistant flagged. Yes the referee was poor, but that cannot excuse firstly the performance and secondly the fact that despite a ten day break, our squad is that thin we couldn't fill the bench. I know you agree about the squad and the weakness at CB and striker ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:25 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Rob wrote:Our abysmal performance and lack in any sort of ability to change the shape of the game due to a self-inflicted paper thin squad has nothing to do with the referee Darren. How Clough has the nerve to complain about injuries when he is responsible for the size of the squad, surely our smallest since the Haslam days, is beyond me. In fact, we'd had 10 days since the last game, can you imagine if we'd have played Bradford and picked up a couple more knocks? I suspect JJ wasn't fully fit either but was on the bench in case of emergency.

Yes I thought it was abysmal, they had two tap-ins which they missed and had we lost 3-0 I don't think anyone could have complained. We were slow in our build up play, created barely a chance all game, time after time looked vulnerable at the back and used only one sub when it was crying out for at least Gordon to be given a run on the right. So yes, we were abysmal for a side that has aspirations for a top 3 finish.

You're a well known happy clapper on here bobby, I know you're very easily pleased ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:32 am

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Yes I thought it was abysmal, they had two tap-ins which they missed and had we lost 3-0 I don't think anyone could have complained. We were slow in our build up play, created barely a chance all game, time after time looked vulnerable at the back and used only one sub when it was crying out for at least Gordon to be given a run on the right. So yes, we were abysmal for a side that has aspirations for a top 3 finish.

You're a well known happy clapper on here bobby, I know you're very easily pleased ;)

We were lucky to not lose, I agree. But I wouldn't say we played extremely bad. If that was extremely bad (the definition of abysmal in case you weren't aware) then the Doncaster match must have been the best game of football you've been to in your life :lol:

Happy Clapper, are we still dividing people on that? Grow up. I'll take it that I'm a more positive thinker and that's a good thing to me.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:41 am

Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Bobby is correct. Although it wasn't a great performance it wasn't abysmal.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:44 am

It wasn't a bad performance. It wasn't great probably a 5.5/10 overall.

I would've liked to have seen more subs. Felt o'toole and Gordon could have offered something. Wallace too. Plus when it gets to the Gillingham game. Those 3 mentioned would have very few minutes in games anyway. I think kellan only came of with 5 minutes to go against Doncaster. He will be brought on on Saturday expecting to be on his "A" game. When he will be lacking match sharpness. JJOT hasn't played since the Sutton game last month. Wallace got about 20 minutes against Doncaster.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:45 am

We played better at Salford and Leyton Orient and lost.

We needed to do an Orient and sneak a goal in the 2nd half to punish Carlisle for missing their chances.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:47 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:

I thought when we tried to play football on the deck we looked very good, it was only when we got drawn into their hoofball routine that things didn't go well.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:47 am

I wish we’d put an offer in for Langstaff before window closed I say lol. Maybe we did ……

Notts Radio already worrying at end of last nights football review that Clubs must be watching for January window and hoping County keep hold of him
Last edited by AshoverStag on Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby pemill » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:48 am

I've just seen the Sky highlights and Lap's disallowed goal didn't even make the cut :roll:
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:51 am

gazza1988 wrote:It wasn't a bad performance. It wasn't great probably a 5.5/10 overall.

I would've liked to have seen more subs. Felt o'toole and Gordon could have offered something. Wallace too. Plus when it gets to the Gillingham game. Those 3 mentioned would have very few minutes in games anyway. I think kellan only came of with 5 minutes to go against Doncaster. He will be brought on on Saturday expecting to be on his "A" game. When he will be lacking match sharpness. JJOT hasn't played since the Sutton game last month. Wallace got about 20 minutes against Doncaster.

You bloody happy Clapper :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:56 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

In your opinion, of course, Andy. How did Hewitt play by the way ;)

Anyway, I'm off to grow up like Bobby told me :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:06 pm

xG: Mansfield Town 0.9 Carlisle United 0.9 (HT: 0.4-0.6)

One of our lowest xG scores since playing Carlisle United at home last season :lol:

2021-2022 Lowest Home xG Scores
Mansfield Town 0.7 Carlisle United 1.2
Mansfield Town 0.8 Salford City 0.5
Mansfield Town 0.9 Newport County 1.0
Mansfield Town 1.0 Harrogate Town 1.8
Mansfield Town 1.0 Leyton Orient 0.6
Mansfield Town 1.1 Oldham Athletic 0.9
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby ST4GS » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:22 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:xG: Mansfield Town 0.9 Carlisle United 0.9 (HT: 0.4-0.6)

One of our lowest xG scores since playing Carlisle United at home last season :lol:

2021-2022 Lowest Home xG Scores
Mansfield Town 0.7 Carlisle United 1.2
Mansfield Town 0.8 Salford City 0.5
Mansfield Town 0.9 Newport County 1.0
Mansfield Town 1.0 Harrogate Town 1.8
Mansfield Town 1.0 Leyton Orient 0.6
Mansfield Town 1.1 Oldham Athletic 0.9
Hard to believe Carlisle xg at 0.90 !!!. They had guilt edge chances. The one at the start of the second half must have been a 0.75 ie score 3 times out of 4 at the very least. Has anyone added up all the xg stats over a season and validated them to ensure they match actual goals and recalibrate. Are they division specific.ie xg higher for Lewandowski and lower for Kristian Demnis for same chance !!
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:35 pm

Rob wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Rob wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

In your opinion, of course, Andy. How did Hewitt play by the way ;)

Anyway, I'm off to grow up like Bobby told me :lol:
He played well.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:40 pm

We were very lucky to get a point. Its the worst i've seen us for a while. Only poor finishing helped us as (other than the offside goal) we hardly created anything.

Cloughies insistency to have such a small tight nit squad cost us last night and will probably cost us again in the future, especially as our average age is quite high and he can't keep them fit... Is the issue here that he can't manage bigger names who aren't in the starting eleven? He has his favourites, which is fine, but then if we had the 2/3 extra we're clearly short off, can he manage those players when they aren't starting week in week out. He couldn't with Johnson and to me that is probably why we're a few players light and he hasn't done more business.

We were on top most of the 2nd half, without really ever making any decent chances. Not changing it to put Hawkins up top and bring Gordon on for some pace on the wing was nothing short of daft in my opinion. It stank of lack of ambition (or trust in his squad) unfortunately.

It wasn't really two points dropped as they should have won it with the chances they had, but last 15 minutes we had the chance to push on and try and get a winner but the gaffer decided not stand there shouting instead of actually changing anything worthwhile.

Not to down about it all though, we'll be ok and still look a solid play-off contender with the squad we've got and way we play. We're 3 decent players short of a team that could push for the automatics though, which is a shame given the budget appears to be available.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:59 pm

We weren't at it, rare poor performance at home and we're probably lucky to get a point in the end but oh well it happens. Pym and Hewitt both excellent and a clean sheet is a positive. The state of this board whenever we don't win though, embarrassing
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:12 pm

We saw in this game the problem with playing Aikens up front, in that it requires the midfield to score the goals they are not regularly going to get.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum