{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:24 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:scrappy dull game, the crowd & players never got going, Hewitt defiantly MOTM didn’t put a foot wrong all game.
Clough really doesn’t fancy KG, JB9 was offering nothing out wide, i’d have given KG 20 mins, to not even fill our bench is a real
concern.

The fact we couldn't fill the bench already speaks volumes of Cloughs transfer policy this summer. We have no strikers (except Gale who didn't get a minute), Akins tries hard but isn't an out and out striker - in fact the only one we had was playing CB again because, guess what, we don't have enough CB's either. Hewitt was terrific, Pym didn't put a foot wrong, the rest were poor but were hindered by poor tactics and a lack of a goal threat. In a game where we were so poor to only make one change was wrong. It was a poor performance from team and manager.

Not as simple as picking Clarke, Maris and Lapslie then :lol:

I was saying to my Dad all the way through the first half ‘we need Swan on here’ only to find out he wasn’t on the bench :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:35 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:scrappy dull game, the crowd & players never got going, Hewitt defiantly MOTM didn’t put a foot wrong all game.
Clough really doesn’t fancy KG, JB9 was offering nothing out wide, i’d have given KG 20 mins, to not even fill our bench is a real
concern.

The fact we couldn't fill the bench already speaks volumes of Cloughs transfer policy this summer. We have no strikers (except Gale who didn't get a minute), Akins tries hard but isn't an out and out striker - in fact the only one we had was playing CB again because, guess what, we don't have enough CB's either. Hewitt was terrific, Pym didn't put a foot wrong, the rest were poor but were hindered by poor tactics and a lack of a goal threat. In a game where we were so poor to only make one change was wrong. It was a poor performance from team and manager.

Not as simple as picking Clarke, Maris and Lapslie then :lol:

I was saying to my Dad all the way through the first half ‘we need Swan on here’ only to find out he wasn’t on the bench :lol:

To be fair they can't do it on their own - the number of times Maris and Hartigan had the ball and had no-one to pass to was staggering. First half we literally had no left hand side apart from Macca - it almost seemed like the players had fallen out with the West Stand! Second half despite the formation change we were no better, Quinn could have come on earlier and why didn't we try Gordon to at least add some much needed pace? Akins was very poor, but so was the service to him, Lapslie the same and he is clearly better as an attacking midfielder behind a proper striker, which we don't have. We can sugar coat it as much as we like, the bare facts are Clough stated he was happy with the size of his squad yet two games later cannot fill the bench. When does the transfer window open again .................. :roll:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:38 pm

It was a bit of a damp squib of a game. My MOTM was Pym: without his immaculate performance we wouldn't be wildly celebrating the point gained. Hewitt deserves the plaudits too, although I'd deduct a point for a couple of less-than-stellar crosses. Had Lapslie's goal stood we'd be in a different discussion though.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Slackythestag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:50 pm

Wasn't at the races tonight, take the point and a clean sheet.

Defence looked good apart from the moment we switched off after HT. We battled well and got stuck in but the quality was poor going forward.

Hartigan was solid, very calm on the ball and does the basics, only 22! My MOTM.

Desperately need some pace up front.

Still unbeaten at home. COYS
Slackythestag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:50 pm

Clough complaining he had FOUR first team players out injured. Oates, Swan, Boateng and Perch who says if fit would have started.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:54 pm

part time pete wrote:Clough complaining he had FOUR first team players out injured. Oates, Swan, Boateng and Perch who says if fit would have started.

Think he said three, assume out of those not including Swan.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:40 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:29 am

Two great saves from Pym. My man of the match.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:41 am

gazza1988 wrote:Elliot Hewitt is sponsors man of the match. Deserved imo.

He played well but it was Pym for me looking solid and with great positioning making saves look easy
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:49 am

I didn't post thoughts last night in an effort to be rational but that was a dull uninspiring performance where the only good thing to say was we somehow got a point due to Carlisle missing at least three sitters. My frustration is two fold that the clear lack of final additions in the transfer window hurt us badly tonight and yet again the reluctance of NC to make meaningful substitutions. OK the bench wasn't dynamic but try something, anything, please....don't just look like you're accepting the lowest denominator.
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:54 am

Chrisuknottm wrote:I didn't post thoughts last night in an effort to be rational but that was a dull uninspiring performance where the only good thing to say was we somehow got a point due to Carlisle missing at least three sitters. My frustration is two fold that the clear lack of final additions in the transfer window hurt us badly tonight and yet again the reluctance of NC to make meaningful substitutions. OK the bench wasn't dynamic but try something, anything, please....don't just look like you're accepting the lowest denominator.

you mean like a Negative Nigel ? :shock:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:31 am

Games like last night will come and go, they’ll happen and it’s part of everyone’s season, we’ve won 3 gomes homes out of 3 before last night and at least didn’t lose.

What is concerning as mentioned last night is the lack of options in certain positions when there’s been all summer to address it is a worry.

Cloughs argument about struggling because we had 3 players out is with respect half his doing.

We need to keep clear of injuries as this squad is short on numbers, keep lucky and we might have a chance.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Philip » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:34 am

Well done for getting a BBC credit on your pic of the 96 doves, which I saw on my BBC news feed last night.
Philip
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby part time pete » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:39 am

Philip wrote:

Well done for getting a BBC credit on your pic of the 96 doves, which I saw on my BBC news feed last night.

I suppose we just hired them as if they were homing doves they would just fly back home.

Good job, I don’t want them hanging about in West Stand and pooing on my seat like them other pigeons.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Costastag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:06 am

Hope it was just one of those nights ,all teams have them we were never going to win every game at home ,so just move on to gillingham .Doesnt look like any more mention of looking at free agents ,as nigel was clearly emphasizing how well our defence played rather than bemoaning our lack of striker options ,just got to to stick with him
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:44 am

I thought Akins was ok but totally isolated. He had a great effort saved in the second half and held the ball up quite well, but with nobody to pass to. The service to him was terrible. I honestly thought Clarke wasn’t in the team, so ineffective he was, just a passenger and rightly took off. Clough definitely should’ve brought KG on. Strange atmosphere and strange performance, although I actually thought Carlisle harassed us all game and gave us no room to play. How did they not win that game. It was a point gained, but currently this squad is a mile off promotion ready!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:49 am

Point and we move on.

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:06 am

Does the Manager actually watch the game or Highlights?...We were very lucky not to be 3-0 down by half time..to say the defence played well is beyond the pale, wide open most of the time and only saved by Carlisles poor finishing..their Manager must be fuming...Playing one lone striker at home ????..to say that he would have played the four injured players if they had been fit ???...Cloud Cuckoo land...just making excuses for himself..just about everyone could see Bowery was having a difficult time on the right wing yet arguably our quickest player sat warming his bum for 90 minutes...Clarke should have been taken off earlier, he didn't look interested..all in all thought we did well to earn a point...we move on
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby James » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:11 am

diablo wrote:Does the Manager actually watch the game or Highlights?...We were very lucky not to be 3-0 down by half time..to say the defence played well is beyond the pale, wide open most of the time and only saved by Carlisles poor finishing..their Manager must be fuming...Playing one lone striker at home ????..to say that he would have played the four injured players if they had been fit ???...Cloud Cuckoo land...just making excuses for himself..just about everyone could see Bowery was having a difficult time on the right wing yet arguably our quickest player sat warming his bum for 90 minutes...Clarke should have been taken off earlier, he didn't look interested..all in all thought we did well to earn a point...we move on

Doesn't sound like you have.
James
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:16 am

Definitely a point gained.

Not only three abysmal misses by Carlisle but plenty of other occasions where they looked capable of breaching our defence and created half chances. Clough was correct to single out Hewitt who also got forward well for a central defender creating a few interesting situations.

Hopefully this was a blip and we must remember that Carlisle have only been beaten once this season so not an easy team to get three points from.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:59 am

James wrote:
diablo wrote:Does the Manager actually watch the game or Highlights?...We were very lucky not to be 3-0 down by half time..to say the defence played well is beyond the pale, wide open most of the time and only saved by Carlisles poor finishing..their Manager must be fuming...Playing one lone striker at home ????..to say that he would have played the four injured players if they had been fit ???...Cloud Cuckoo land...just making excuses for himself..just about everyone could see Bowery was having a difficult time on the right wing yet arguably our quickest player sat warming his bum for 90 minutes...Clarke should have been taken off earlier, he didn't look interested..all in all thought we did well to earn a point...we move on

Doesn't sound like you have.

Taken out of context.."all in all thought we did well to earn a point ...we move on" ..don't just take out the bits you find contentious!..
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby AshoverStag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:34 am

There was limited movement off the ball and options to pass too. Plus they were well organised in defence. Why or why did we persist on high balls. We were never going to score that way. The passes the the wings and then nothing resulted

Counter attack or through ball passing was needed, but we had not Oates or Swan.

Lapslie has a little pace. I’d have switched him and Akins….. laps to run through

I totally understand comments made…it just was not our night, but games like that you need to dig deep and pull out the 1-0

Defence/Midfield k for me. Just in the final third.

Though tbh if Laps goal stood I’d not be moaning :lol:
When you think you know the answers, I change the questions
AshoverStag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby oldweststander » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:47 am

Didn't think the game was boring at all as some say, we were lucky to get a point in all honesty.

With no out and out striker, other than Hawkins playing at the back, we had no teeth.

Nice football at times, no cutting edge in and around the box.

For me, Lapslie playing in the hole between midfield and a solitary striker is no good at home, maybe ok away.

No strikers incoming it seems, any free agents other than Theo Robinson would presumably be totally unfit. I think we missed a trick with Robinson, not prolific these days but experienced and would, IMO, been worth a contract. If Oates comes back before Christmas I will be gob smacked. When Oates returns Robinson could then be loaned out should we not need him.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:14 am

AshoverStag wrote:Why or why did we persist on high balls. We were never going to score that way.

We copied their approach. Hoof it over the top.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby scotsstag » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:17 am

oldweststander wrote:Didn't think the game was boring at all as some say, we were lucky to get a point in all honesty.

With no out and out striker, other than Hawkins playing at the back, we had no teeth.

Nice football at times, no cutting edge in and around the box.

For me, Lapslie playing in the hole between midfield and a solitary striker is no good at home, maybe ok away.

No strikers incoming it seems, any free agents other than Theo Robinson would presumably be totally unfit. I think we missed a trick with Robinson, not prolific these days but experienced and would, IMO, been worth a contract. If Oates comes back before Christmas I will be gob smacked. When Oates returns Robinson could then be loaned out should we not need him.

Not prolific these day or any other come to that, never has been.
I disagree OWS, for me, he most definitely wasn't the answer imo.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum