{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King.

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:43 pm

Not at it tonight. To have played the same forward line for most of the match when it clearly wasn’t working was a bit strange, especially with other options available. Positive is the clean sheet but in all honesty that was down to poor finishing by Carlisle
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Well that were crap in the end. We huffed and puffed but rarely did we trouble them. No sustained pressure. Pretty slow and ponderous up front. Set piece deliveries we're poor overall. Carlisle deserve some credit for that game though. They nullified us.

Oh well. Bore draw. We move on.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby PostmanPat » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 pm

We had nothing whatsoever on the bench and only 6 subs out of 7. Keep your squad small Nigel, we don’t need any signings :shock:
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Johnny H » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:47 pm

Why only one substitution ?
Why not try and change things up ?

Is that cos NC thinks the bench is weak ?

Akins for Gale or Gordon on and Bowery up top for Akins was a change that should have been made after 70 mins at least......
Hartigan slows the play too.......not convinced so far !

Clean sheet is a bonus, but thats mainly cos Dennis is still poor and missed sitters
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Re: Carlisle scorefred sponsored by God save The King

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Tonight is the first of many games where we will be stung by not getting a forward in, when we’ve had all summer to do so.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Wasn’t expecting Carlisle to cramp our style so effectively. We move on and hope we can get 3 points at Gillingham. I hope Swan is back as our forward line looks threadbare.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagsfan6493 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:50 pm

Sort of game where not signing that extra striker has cost us.
stagsfan6493
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Awful scrappy game, especially second half. I thought the ref contributed to the mess by letting too much go then missing clear fouls.

As good as the midfield was at Donny it was poor tonight. I thought Maris had a shocker with and without the ball.

Robbed by the linesman getting it wrong but they had 3 clear chances 2 of which were awful misses.

A point is a point but disappointed to lose a bit of ground on those above us.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:54 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Not at it tonight. To have played the same forward line for most of the match when it clearly wasn’t working was a bit strange, especially with other options available. Positive is the clean sheet but in all honesty that was down to poor finishing by Carlisle

I can see Clough mentioning the offside goal that wasn't offside. Perhaps mention little to no attacking options from the bench. Ignoring the 2 strikers playing in defence. Could've brought Gordon and/or O’Toole on and moved one or both of the strikers up front.

How many forward options do we need? Akins, Bowery and Hawkins all started. Lapslie too. Gale on the bench. There's 5 options.

Our midfield wasn't on their game today and it showed. They say the midfield is the engine room. We stalled.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:56 pm

broomo wrote:Awful scrappy game, especially second half. I thought the ref contributed to the mess by letting too much go then missing clear fouls.

As good as the midfield was at Donny it was poor tonight. I thought Maris had a shocker with and without the ball.

Robbed by the linesman getting it wrong but they had 3 clear chances 2 of which were awful misses.

A point is a point but disappointed to lose a bit of ground on those above us.

it was poor tactics with no recognised forwards

We all know that’s the black and white of it

We move on
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:01 pm

Not on it tonight.

A scrappy game and we struggled to get any rhythm.

We could argue we had a good goal disallowed but overall they had the best of the chances and so a draw seems fair.

Hopefully we bounce back for Gillingham.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby BH_Stag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:06 pm

Disappointing evening.

We never got going and gained any real momentum then started to look tired and the lack of options on the bench in forward areas didn’t help. Games like that are precisely the reason why we needed to get another forward in.

Also, special mention to the ref, who managed to put in one of the most irritating performances I’ve seen in a long time without making any major decisions. Desperate to be the centre of attention and took an age to do everything.

Thought Carlisle were decent and clearly had the better chances. They’ll be a bit disappointed to not leave with 3 points.

Hartigan my man of the match in a stags shirt.
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:11 pm

We were lucky to get nil tonight.

Slow and ponderous and too much hoof ball. Passing and close control were poor and we just never got going. For some reason most of the team looked nervous and lacked confidence.

Carlisle closed us down well and we made them look competent despite them making nearly as many mistakes as us. Dennis should give his wages back and it must have been very difficult to clear the bar from six yards with a ball which was rolling perfectly along the floor. He didn’t even have the excuse that the ball was bobbling.

We need to be much better if we are going to achieve anything but hopefully it was just a blip.

We go again.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:12 pm

imagine if we’d have got a CB in so the only forward on the pitch wasn’t in defence who could have scored being a forward where he lived instead of being a defender

who’d have thought

:shock:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:17 pm

adamstag wrote:imagine if we’d have got a CB in so the only forward on the pitch wasn’t in defence who could have scored being a forward where he lived instead of being a defender

who’d have thought

More by luck than judgement as I said earlier, but that’s three Hawkins games at centre back and no goals conceded from open play. The whole system is designed around him, he ain’t moving it would seem.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:21 pm

adamstag wrote:imagine if we’d have got a CB in so the only forward on the pitch wasn’t in defence who could have scored being a forward where he lived instead of being a defender

who’d have thought

If we had really wanted it we could have found a way of getting Hawkins up top for the last 10 minutes and trying plan B.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:23 pm

gazza1988 wrote:Martin just confirmed they've watched the ifollow feed and the analyst feed and lapslie was onside and his goal should have stood. It was tight but definitely onside.

We need VAR :D

Was in line with this in R block, defo onside
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Brough » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:25 pm

Wait until January! When Clough says it’s another difficult window to bring in new faces. It will be 10 years in league 2
Brough
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby wink68 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:26 pm

wink68 wrote:

who’d have thought

If we had really wanted it we could have found a way of getting Hawkins up top for the last 10 minutes and trying plan B.

And why no Gordon. The only player we have left with a bit of pace. I know he can't defend but Bowery did nothing going forward all night. At least have a go. Surprised Wallace didn't come on to sure up the 1 point we had.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:28 pm

Can we get that Friday night game moved back to a Saturday? :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:31 pm

Carlisle did a number on us tonight, swamped the midfield and made it scrappy with lots of niggly fouls, they came for a point and time wasted from early on to get it. Never got going although I thought Maris and Hartigan played well the system relies on Lapslie and Clarke getting past Akins and into the box and it didn’t really happen tonight. Good example of a system that works well away from home (wouldn’t surprise me if we beat Gillingham with it) as there is more room for the runners from midfield but need a change at home when we have to take the initiative.
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:38 pm

We were crap tonight. The only positive is we got 1 more point than we deserved.

The most interest part of the evening was moon rise over Mansfield. Most tranquil.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:55 pm

scrappy dull game, the crowd & players never got going, Hewitt defiantly MOTM didn’t put a foot wrong all game.
Clough really doesn’t fancy KG, JB9 was offering nothing out wide, i’d have given KG 20 mins, to not even fill our bench is a real
concern.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:08 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:scrappy dull game, the crowd & players never got going, Hewitt defiantly MOTM didn’t put a foot wrong all game.
Clough really doesn’t fancy KG, JB9 was offering nothing out wide, i’d have given KG 20 mins, to not even fill our bench is a real
concern.

The fact we couldn't fill the bench already speaks volumes of Cloughs transfer policy this summer. We have no strikers (except Gale who didn't get a minute), Akins tries hard but isn't an out and out striker - in fact the only one we had was playing CB again because, guess what, we don't have enough CB's either. Hewitt was terrific, Pym didn't put a foot wrong, the rest were poor but were hindered by poor tactics and a lack of a goal threat. In a game where we were so poor to only make one change was wrong. It was a poor performance from team and manager.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sharp » Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:15 pm

Brough wrote:Wait until January! When Clough says it’s another difficult window to bring in new faces. It will be 10 years in league 2

Better than 10 in the conference. Since we’ve spent (in my life supporting Stags) more time in non league than in Division 1 why is that a surprise? History prove we are a division 2 club so why not enjoy it and anything better enjoy it even more.
Sharp
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum