{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Dave Smith

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Dave Smith

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:27 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby victor A block » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:02 pm

The man that made me fall in love with MTFC the age of 10. A real honour to watch his side play those first 2 seasons under him.
No-one told me it woudn't always be that way!
The best manager in my lifetime so far for the Stags. RIP Dave.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:15 pm

Yes top manager for us old Dave
RIP we will remember you
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:32 am

If he was our greatest ever manager why did we name our main stand after Ian Greaves? Genuine question.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:54 am

Dan wrote:If he was our greatest ever manager why did we name our main stand after Ian Greaves? Genuine question.

Dan i think they named the stand after Ian Greaves because he passed away and to honour his life.

https://www.stagsnet.net/news/newsdetai ... ewsid=5385
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 am

He was over a decade before my time but I think almost every Stags supporter recognises that Dave Smith is our greatest ever manager. It seems only right to me that the Quarry Lane stand is renamed the Dave Smith stand.

In all honesty the North Stand should be returned to home supporters and renamed the Dave Smith stand but obviously that won’t happen.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:30 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:He was over a decade before my time but I think almost every Stags supporter recognises that Dave Smith is our greatest ever manager. It seems only right to me that the Quarry Lane stand is renamed the Dave Smith stand.

In all honesty the North Stand should be returned to home supporters and renamed the Dave Smith stand but obviously that won’t happen.

Nice sentiment but that stand brings good revenue into the club currently from R N Surfacing who put a lot into the club. Name the redeveloped Bishop Street after him when it’s done.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:13 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:He was over a decade before my time but I think almost every Stags supporter recognises that Dave Smith is our greatest ever manager. It seems only right to me that the Quarry Lane stand is renamed the Dave Smith stand.

Nice sentiment but that stand brings good revenue into the club currently from R N Surfacing who put a lot into the club. Name the redeveloped Bishop Street after him when it’s done.

Could always go with the Dave Smith Stand sponsored by R N Surfacing or whoever the next sponsor of that stand may be. That way it’s still there as a revenue source whilst a permanent being a permanent tribute to Dave Smith.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:35 am

Or simply just rename the North or QLE. I am torn on whether it should be done at all though. Dave Smith means a lot to those of us of a certain vintage and undoubtedly built our best ever side, but he was only at the club a little over 2 years and I think I could point to more deserving people, such as many of those from that era who played for the club for well over 10 years. I know we have the Pate Bar and Bird suite, but I think a stand would be a step up and I think those two in particular are probably more worthy. It would be nice for it to be done for someone still alive too!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:12 am

Dave Smith’s team were the catalyst for our promotion to the Championship, Peter Morris finished the job. The football under him was scintillating, with Jimmy bombing down the wing and crossing to our towering forwards. Monday night games were fantastic with frequent wins and a glut of goals.
Loved Smith as a manager and was really upset when he left us. RIP Dave, we will never forget you.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:03 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby julianshatnasty » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:32 pm

I was at Plymouth v Ipswich at the weekend and they had a large banner behind the home goal and a perfect minutes applause. It's unusual to see a man become a legend at two clubs. Shows how good he was.
julianshatnasty
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Marky Mark » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:36 pm

julianshatnasty wrote:I was at Plymouth v Ipswich at the weekend and they had a large banner behind the home goal and a perfect minutes applause. It's unusual to see a man become a legend at two clubs. Shows how good he was.

He’s a legend at Southend too
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:39 pm

An absolute legend.

Good times and great memories of days gone bye.

What a man and what a team . COYS
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimmy11 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:56 pm

Thanks for the wonderful memories Mr Smith, made many a young Mansfield fan proud to watch such an attacking goal-scoring team. A great time to watch football at the Mill with good crowds and plenty of atmosphere. What a set of players ! Thanks David.

RIP
Jimmy11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Dave Smith

Postby HarryW » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:28 pm

As Martin so rightly remarks in his Hartlepool match report, Dave must rank as Stags' best-ever manager.
I think that at the time, confidence in the manager and euphoria in the town were on a par with that experienced in Leicester a few years ago.
Dave told Chad: "The 1st Division [as it then was] is no longer a hopeless dream."
Not one of us scoffed.
And then the directors let us all down.
Thanks for letting us at least live in hope for a while, Dave.
HarryW
Youth Team
Youth Team

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum