{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Akins - does not merit his constant team selection

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:09 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:On your own up top…you need better service!!!!

He needs to hold the ball up better. The type of player Akins is, it’s one of the biggest areas he will be judged on and for the most part of his Mansfield career he has not held the ball up well enough.

Against Doncaster he did it brilliantly, I’m not expecting him to play that well every week but the basic you expect of a big striker is to take the ball on and lay it off to a midfielder so we have a platform to build on.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:13 am

Rob wrote:
stag324 wrote:He did ok yesterday, our problems came from poor crosses and the inability to shoot when the opportunity arose

I did think Akins was poor but do agree that the general standard of crossing was also poor. Our midfield dominance enabled our wide players to get into some great positions but the delivery, especially from Macca and Gordon, was poor. At half time we'd had just 2 of 23 crosses "successful" which I assume means met by a Stags player. Thankfully Wallaces' cross was superb!

Their (lace tying) centre half was one of the smallest players on the pitch - and the one that Hawkins beat in the air for the winner. Amazing that with 23 crosses we couldn’t make more of that.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:24 am

The crossing was generally poor yesterday, Hawkins goal came from a great early first time ball by Wallace. Thought it also showed how much we missed Hartigan as his delivery of corners and free kicks has been an upgrade in last season as well as him coming into that sitting midfield position and releasing Maris more
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:32 am

Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:
stag324 wrote:He did ok yesterday, our problems came from poor crosses and the inability to shoot when the opportunity arose

I did think Akins was poor but do agree that the general standard of crossing was also poor. Our midfield dominance enabled our wide players to get into some great positions but the delivery, especially from Macca and Gordon, was poor. At half time we'd had just 2 of 23 crosses "successful" which I assume means met by a Stags player. Thankfully Wallaces' cross was superb!

Their (lace tying) centre half was one of the smallest players on the pitch - and the one that Hawkins beat in the air for the winner. Amazing that with 23 crosses we couldn’t make more of that.

I suppose that's because Hawkins was at CB ;) He did win a header first half which the keeper saved so it was clearly something we probably should have exploited earlier than we did - still alls well that ends well and we certainly did that. I do think the Hawkins/Swan combo looked pretty good and should be used more often. That would, of course (cough) leave us even shorter at CB.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:35 am

To be fair we had plenty of free kicks/corners/long throws with Hawkins in the box which he didn’t do anything from as well, apart from the one you mention.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:09 am

Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:

I suppose that's because Hawkins was at CB ;) He did win a header first half which the keeper saved so it was clearly something we probably should have exploited earlier than we did - still alls well that ends well and we certainly did that. I do think the Hawkins/Swan combo looked pretty good and should be used more often. That would, of course (cough) leave us even shorter at CB.

There were 2 CB's on the bench that didn't get on yesterday, with 3 in the starting line up - how many more do we need? :D (begins never ending cycle of back and forths again till we all die)
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:25 am

Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:

There were 2 CB's on the bench that didn't get on yesterday, with 3 in the starting line up - how many more do we need? :D (begins never ending cycle of back and forths again till we all die)

Or to be more accurate there were two players on the bench who we have been using at centre half, neither of whom have played the majority of their careers at that position.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:37 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:
Rob wrote:

Or to be more accurate there were two players on the bench who we have been using at centre half, neither of whom have played the majority of their careers at that position.

And right or wrong approach, and whether you and I agree or disagree or not - flexibility of players in positions is the managers stated policy, he looks for players who can play in positions rather than players who play in specific positions.
There are three types of people on this board: 1) people who understand that, 2) people who don't understand that and 3) people who understand it but argue against it. And even if I argued against it violently 88 points from the last 44 games trumps whatever view I have on it.
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:40 am

:good_post:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:51 am

MM

I fully understand what you are saying but that doesn’t change the players’ descriptions. They are not centre halves and shouldn’t be described as such. That may be pedantic but there it is.

Additionally if you watched both players efforts at Grimsby there is no way either could be described as effective centre halves. In football you are only as good as your last game and as good as they may have been in the past they are no longer at their best. That isn’t a huge problem until they both have to play together and we’ve recently seen how that ends up.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:15 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:MM

I fully understand what you are saying but that doesn’t change the players’ descriptions. They are not centre halves and shouldn’t be described as such. That may be pedantic but there it is.

Additionally if you watched both players efforts at Grimsby there is no way either could be described as effective centre halves. In football you are only as good as your last game and as good as they may have been in the past they are no longer at their best. That isn’t a huge problem until they both have to play together and we’ve recently seen how that ends up.

I agree completely, we have already seen our weakness at CB this season and most importantly saw it at Wembley. I think any Stags fan fully happy with the squad is not only in some form of weird denial but are also at odds with the manager who clearly tried to sign more players before the deadline. The 88pts is a fantastic record, but of course utterly meaningless unless done in the same season! Our first 11 is very good, easily top 3, but as many of us have said many, many (countless) times, the issue is not just quality at CB, but squad depth, hence not even being able to fill the bench a few games ago. It really is blindingly obvious and I am certain we will see reinforcements in January. Fingers crossed on injuries and suspensions.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:18 pm

I once had a friend who was a ref and in a game he blew for a penalty, the player came over screaming and shouting thats not a penalty.
My friend ignored him pointed to the spot and from the kick a goal was scored,
He then turned to the player and in a calm manner said i told you it was a penalty.
The moral to the story is if the Manager says you will play as a central defender , you will be a central defender.
Perch and O"Toole have played this position many times,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:MM

I agree completely, we have already seen our weakness at CB this season and most importantly saw it at Wembley. I think any Stags fan fully happy with the squad is not only in some form of weird denial but are also at odds with the manager who clearly tried to sign more players before the deadline. The 88pts is a fantastic record, but of course utterly meaningless unless done in the same season! Our first 11 is very good, easily top 3, but as many of us have said many, many (countless) times, the issue is not just quality at CB, but squad depth, hence not even being able to fill the bench a few games ago. It really is blindingly obvious and I am certain we will see reinforcements in January. Fingers crossed on injuries and suspensions.

Tried to sign one player, an attacking one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:24 pm

That's not true Musings, we tried to sign several players during the window, especially towards the end, some were named like Broom, some weren’t. The one you refer to is the one that fell through but it is clearly wrong to suggest he was the only player we tried to sign - read Cloughs comments. Whilst we don't know for sure, it does appear we didn't try to sign a CB.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:58 pm

Rob wrote:That's not true Musings, we tried to sign several players during the window, especially towards the end, some were named like Broom, some weren’t. The one you refer to is the one that fell through but it is clearly wrong to suggest he was the only player we tried to sign - read Cloughs comments. Whilst we don't know for sure, it does appear we didn't try to sign a CB.

I’m not saying we only had one target, I’m saying we were looking for one extra player. Yes, we had to keep trying to sign other players because we couldn’t get out targets. Clough consistently said he was only looking for one player, maybe two max. But on deadline day he was only trying to sign one, Jaiyesimi.

No defenders were ever mentioned as being close as far as I recall.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:59 pm

Are we really gonna keep crying about this all the way to January? :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:33 pm

Ralphy wrote:Are we really gonna keep crying about this all the way to January? :D

Are you really gonna keep crying about people crying about it until January ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:36 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Rob wrote:That's not true Musings, we tried to sign several players during the window, especially towards the end, some were named like Broom, some weren’t. The one you refer to is the one that fell through but it is clearly wrong to suggest he was the only player we tried to sign - read Cloughs comments. Whilst we don't know for sure, it does appear we didn't try to sign a CB.

I’m not saying we only had one target, I’m saying we were looking for one extra player. Yes, we had to keep trying to sign other players because we couldn’t get out targets. Clough consistently said he was only looking for one player, maybe two max. But on deadline day he was only trying to sign one, Jaiyesimi.

As far as we are aware ...... Clough rightly keeps things close to his chest, even our "in the know" on here were fooled umpteen times. I'll have a 7p bet with you, for charity of course, that we'll sign at least 2 players (nett of departures) in January :D
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Vice President » Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

As far as we are aware ...... Clough rightly keeps things close to his chest, even our "in the know" on here were fooled umpteen times. I'll have a 7p bet with you, for charity of course, that we'll sign at least 2 players (nett of departures) in January :D

We will certainly sign 2 players in January ... the question/bet is ... will they both be mid-fielders? :D
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

I wouldn’t take the bet, as much as I’d like my 7p to go to charity, because I expect that will happen too, based on last season anyway.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:21 pm

Two new midfielders would do me nicely :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:38 pm

I’m worried about January already, I don’t have it in me to witness us balls up promotion again after forcing in additions which disrupts the team, Flitcroft and Clough both spectacularly messed up in that regard.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:02 pm

He knows if he gets us up hes getting legendary status in north notts ,he wont fail us
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby ParisStag » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:07 am

I think he'll bring in a striker and a wide player maybe. Not sure Gordon has the consistency or defensive ability for the whole season. I hope he doesn't bring in many more than that, but you never know how the likes of Quinn, Perch, O'Toole are going to be in the 2nd half of the season. Quinn almost ran himself into retirement last season!
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

LUCAS AKINS

Postby Now in America » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:34 pm

He is the type of player that is very difficult to play against. His gait with the use of his arms,legs,knees and elbows makes it difficult for his markers to get close to him. I think Hayden White would testify to that when trying to stop him crossing the ball for the winning goal yesterday. He was actually pushed in the face. In my view he is a valuable member of the first team group of players that the Club have assembled.
Now in America
Youth Team
Youth Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum