{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bishop Street Redevelopment

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Bishop Street Redevelopment

Postby victor A block » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:45 am

Why cant they access via Bishop Street itself? The fans used to go in that way.
victor A block
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:51 am

I have to say the elephant in the room is the fact that the bishop Street stand was there with all the houses and infrastructure before it was shut down, my understanding is it was only shut down because of health and safety and the fire.
I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen in print why it can’t be put back on the same footing or at least dug out on the same footprint and replaced, anyone know?

I know I’ve banged on about the bishop Street for years, but it really is an absolute eyesore and if we are hitting in the attendance figures that we have been this season isn’t it time to do something with it?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 am

The fire came several years after the last time it was used.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:08 am

Sneag wrote:The fire came several years after the last time it was used.

it’s all merging into one so my apologies, so why was it closed then, H&S or was it asbestos?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimmy11 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:11 am

I would think that John Radford and Steve Hymas have a plan in mind but it will all come down to the cost and priorities. They have done a great job with the training facility and building a great squad of players. The cost of redeveloping the Bishop St will be huge if it's to be done properly. As we do not have a spare 2-3 million pounds floating around then we have to trust John and Steve to deliver when they feel the time is right.

I'd rather have promotion and stability than a new stand. Also the figure for Bishop St may be way higher than 2-3 million.
Jimmy11
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Costastag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:12 am

victor A block wrote:Why cant they access via Bishop Street itself? The fans used to go in that way.

I can only ever recall sitting in bishop street a couple of times and im sure i accessed it from the terrace ,though i know there were entrances from the street itself
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 am

Costastag wrote:
victor A block wrote:Why cant they access via Bishop Street itself? The fans used to go in that way.

I can only ever recall sitting in bishop street a couple of times and im sure i accessed it from the terrace ,though i know there were entrances from the street itself

The main entrances were on Bishop Street itself, however you could upgrade your standing ticket directly from the terracing by paying the extra and enter from the terrace. Obviously that was only if there was room.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:17 am

A question :

Would you push for the redevelopment of the stand at the detriment of the playing squad? Whether that be settling for a lower class of player or selling one of our saleable assets to fund it?
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 am

why was it actually closed in the first place ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:45 am

I'm fairly sure that wooden stands were generally closed, as they were seen as a major fire risk. Although some clubs seemed to get away with keeping their wooden stands open, we've always had a very enthusiastic safety advisory group.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby OllertonStag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:48 am

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Costastag wrote:

The main entrances were on Bishop Street itself, however you could upgrade your standing ticket directly from the terracing by paying the extra and enter from the terrace. Obviously that was only if there was room.

Yup, and if you "cough cough" waited for the lady with the tin to leave after half time you could have a free sit down for the 2nd half ;)
OllertonStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Conker » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:21 am

MTFCMusings wrote:A question :

Would you push for the redevelopment of the stand at the detriment of the playing squad? Whether that be settling for a lower class of player or selling one of our saleable assets to fund it?

Depends on the severity of it really.

I don’t think that’ll happen mind.
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:02 am

Bradders wrote:I'm fairly sure that wooden stands were generally closed, as they were seen as a major fire risk. Although some clubs seemed to get away with keeping their wooden stands open, we've always had a very enthusiastic safety advisory group.

It’s not really wooden, the plastic seats are on concrete bases. It was just condemned for being generally unsafe & if you saw behind the boards you’d see why. I don’t think the structure is safe either which makes a mockery of cameramen having to go into it to climb a ladder to get to the gantry.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:19 am

Dan wrote:
Bradders wrote:I'm fairly sure that wooden stands were generally closed, as they were seen as a major fire risk. Although some clubs seemed to get away with keeping their wooden stands open, we've always had a very enthusiastic safety advisory group.

It’s not really wooden, the plastic seats are on concrete bases. It was just condemned for being generally unsafe & if you saw behind the boards you’d see why. I don’t think the structure is safe either which makes a mockery of cameramen having to go into it to climb a ladder to get to the gantry.

i always thought that tbh, if it’s unsafe how have we got away with putting scaffolding & a gantry on it
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:34 am

20 plus years an eyesore . Is there really any valid reason it has just been left to rot. We have great owners and people running the club but 20 odd years ? Knock it down
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:48 am

CassellsCap wrote:20 plus years an eyesore . Is there really any valid reason it has just been left to rot. We have great owners and people running the club but 20 odd years ? Knock it down

I agree enough is enough, so much time has gone by let’s take it down at the end of the season
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:26 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:20 plus years an eyesore . Is there really any valid reason it has just been left to rot. We have great owners and people running the club but 20 odd years ? Knock it down

I agree enough is enough, so much time has gone by let’s take it down at the end of the season

Looking at it practically, there are probably a few reasons it hasn’t been pulled down.

The camera gantry would also have to be removed and replaced following demolition and in order to continue ifollow coverage.

It keeps some bad weather off the pitch by creating a barrier to squalls coming from that direction.

It prevents more balls from going out of the ground and returns them to play quicker.

And probably most of all, it would cost a considerable amount with no return, in fact lose advertising revenue.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:08 pm

Dan wrote:

It was all wood originally, and I think that the main structure is wood and there's a lot of wooden boarding. But it's more that I remember that wooden stands were condemned in general, and the Bishop Street was closed at the same time.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:18 pm

Can we not use the wood what a great bonfire night we could have, Bishop Street burns, it would be a sell out
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby 1970Stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:39 pm

I know we got football grants for the redevelopment of Field Mill that Haslam pocketed, but as this side of the ground wasn't really redeveloped, is there no possibility to use some grants towards it's refurbishment?
1970Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tre Cool » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:40 pm

I think the Bishop Street must be intrinsically linked to our success on the pitch.

It remains rotting for X years
The team remain stagnant in league two for X years.
Hopefully this season we break the above cycle.

Take a "Field of dreams" POV... If you build it, they will come. Success will follow.
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:48 pm

When i went in Bishop Street as a nipper ,we walked up Bishop Street into the stand .
Why can they not gain access from there to do any improvements ??
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:58 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:When i went in Bishop Street as a nipper ,we walked up Bishop Street into the stand .

said the very same last week
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:24 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:When i went in Bishop Street as a nipper ,we walked up Bishop Street into the stand .

:D Going after go round the back at some point

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:41 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

I can't remember the exact reason, but we can't.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum