{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Former Stags Thread

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Former Stags Thread 2022-2023

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:01 pm

Interesting story on Twitter about Steve Evans at Gillingham from former captain Gabriel Zakuani.

He wrote: “First day of pre-season under Evans, turned up at the stadium, and remember I was the captain and whether you like it or not I was a key player for the previous 2 seasons. I walked in the changing room, my kit wasn’t laid out like all of the players, I had to ask for spare kit. I thought surely it’s a mistake, then I looked at the squad numbers on the wall, my number 6 was blank. The kitman knew but was scared to speak up. I called Scally, he ignored me so I used my other phone the one the mrs ain’t meant to know about he picked up then raspberries it when I started asking . was going on? He acted like there was a signal issue. I hadn’t even met Evans yet but I was on my way to his office. I walked into the wrong office because Lovell’s office was downstairs but Evans was now upstairs, I was trying to keep it cool, but my head was gone. The secretary Gwen was trying to calm me down. I was just saying where the f is he? Don’t wanna put her in it but she told me.

“The closer I got the more prepared I got that I may be rolling around with his bodyguard Raynor in a few seconds lol so I tied my laces tighter just so there’s no excuses my end if it don’t go to plan, I was expecting a rumble from seeing what Evans portrays on the sidelines. “I banged on the door, and surprise surprise Raynor comes to the door, “can I speak to Steve?” He said you mean gaffa? I said “you f******g heard, I said Steve” at this point all respect was out of the window within 10 mins of my first day back.

“It’s like he couldn’t believe I was talking like this, his face just went proper pale he was stuttering, I pushed past him, he had a cup of tea that went all over his top in that process, there was another coach in there who I kindly told to **** off for 5 minutes with Raynor. Now just me and Steve in there I locked the door in the inside, Raynor was banging trying to get in.

I’ll be honest, I was gonna go for him, just out of frustration, he was sitting in the chair not knowing what to do, I banged the table, his folders with all the tactics fell and asked why is there no trace of me at the club,no kit, no number nothing. I did kick a chair towards him. He was sweating, like dripping. Raynor was still trying to save his mate, he got some of the staff trying to unlock the door. Evans kept looking at the door, I even said look at me when I’m talking to you at one point, that’s when I realised I had to leave the club, respect gone. In the end he admitted they needed me off the wage bill as I was highest earner and no one had the balls to tell me. So I made him call Scally in front of me and they were both blaming each other, Raynor made it back in the room, ran towards Steve both behind the table.

I would have had no problems with being told I have to leave to save the club, it’s making the club captain, come in and having to see this play out in front of my teammates that I found coward like and disrespectful. In the end I was glad I didn’t knock anyone out because they had planned for me to lose my rag so I could leave on gross misconduct. Evans did apologise a couple of days later and said it wasn’t in his hands etc it’s football I guess.”

Zakuani added: “Just to confirm there is no hard feelings, I had a great time at Gills and genuinely no issue with Evans, that was just principles and everything I’ve said is 100% true, I am my own boss so I don’t need to watch what I tweet."
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:01 pm

The closer I got the more prepared I got that I may be rolling around with his bodyguard Raynor in a few seconds

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:47 pm

Two goals for Ali Smith away at Tranmere, and a punditry gig for Jamie Murphy on Sky Sports :lol:
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:58 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Two goals for Ali Smith away at Tranmere, and a punditry gig for Jamie Murphy on Sky Sports :lol:

He's only recently returned from injury, went straight back into their starting 11 and they are now 2nd in the current form table having had a bad run during his absence. Obviously having had disagreements with a few about his departure I have followed his career. He'll be playing at a higher level than us very soon.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby halifaxstag » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:Two goals for Ali Smith away at Tranmere, and a punditry gig for Jamie Murphy on Sky Sports :lol:

And Kane Hemings scored one of Tranmere’s goals.
halifaxstag
First Team
First Team

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm

Rob wrote:

He's only recently returned from injury, went straight back into their starting 11 and they are now 2nd in the current form table having had a bad run during his absence. Obviously having had disagreements with a few about his departure I have followed his career. He'll be playing at a higher level than us very soon.

Yes they had a lot of injuries, I think of their first choice back four and a few other key men.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:59 pm

halifaxstag wrote:

And Kane Hemings scored one of Tranmere’s goals.

Yes, a very nice goal as well. Has hit a hot streak after a dry spell.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby garlic » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:15 pm

Rob wrote:

I daresay we will be saying that about a few others soon, Taylor Anderson is definitely worth his place at fullback in our current team.
garlic
First Team
First Team

Postby Spiritater » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:34 am

garlic wrote:
Rob wrote:

I daresay we will be saying that about a few others soon, Taylor Anderson is definitely worth his place at fullback in our current team.

Log is worth a place at full back in our team at the moment.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:04 am

garlic wrote:
Rob wrote:

I think Taylor Swift has more awareness of danger than our current right back.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:59 pm

FA Cup 4th Rd 1970

Blackpool 0 Mansfield Town 2

Can you name the players?

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:30 pm

Well it’s definitely Dudley Robert’s and Stuart Boam looking on but I’m not sure about the player making the header. He certainly has some muscular thighs and my thoughts turn toward Johnny Quigley but the hairstyle doesn’t seem correct. I don’t think it’s Dai Jones for the same reason although if memory serves correctly he scored both goals and that looks a pretty good header which looks goal bound from that photo.

I remember the home fans were far from happy with the result and did all they could to chase us out of town afterwards.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:58 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Well it’s definitely Dudley Robert’s and Stuart Boam looking on but I’m not sure about the player making the header. He certainly has some muscular thighs and my thoughts turn toward Johnny Quigley but the hairstyle doesn’t seem correct. I don’t think it’s Dai Jones for the same reason although if memory serves correctly he scored both goals and that looks a pretty good header which looks goal bound from that photo.

I remember the home fans were far from happy with the result and did all they could to chase us out of town afterwards.

I'd suggest it was Dai Jones to be honest.....he was a semi permanent substitute for us but on that day he started and got both goals. I remember we packed out our end of the ground....I was 12 and went with my Grandad.....and some pensioner called Jimmy Armfield was playing for them !!!
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 pm

Mike Baggeley interview with Will Forrester on his progress at Port Vale to date. He's made 13(4) league starts and scored 1 goal but he has been held back a little by niggling injuries.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/f ... ke-8017415
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:51 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:FA Cup 4th Rd 1970

Are you going to tell us who the third player is Tippy or just leave us hanging?
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MOTG » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:57 pm

Dai Jones
MOTG
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Marky Mark » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:01 pm

According to Jack Retter's book, Dai Jones scored both that day.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:09 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:FA Cup 4th Rd 1970

Are you going to tell us who the third player is Tippy or just leave us hanging?

it is Dai Jones scoring after 4 minutes. Two views of the goal from opposite angles here: https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/blackpoolfacup.htm
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:15 pm

Thanks both. The hair style just didn’t look right for Jones to me and it looked too long. I always think of him as having thinning black hair which was usually plastered to his head with sweat. Maybe the fact the game was only 4 minutes old meant he hadn’t worked up his usual lather.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:21 pm

Dai Jones is the goalscorer. He scored in the 4th minute from the 3rd corner of the game and in the 89th minute.

It sounded like Graham Brown in goal for the Stags had the game of his life and was clapped off by the Blackpool fans at half time and at the end.

Attendance: 23,715 (5,000+ Mansfield Fans)

I will guess the team formation from the listing of the players in the match report (1-11)

Graham Brown
Sandy Pate, Stuart Boam, Phil Waller, Clive Walker
Malcom Partridge, John Quigley, John Stenson, Jimmy Goodfellow
Dudley Roberts, Dai Jones

The Blackpool mascot was apparently a white duck.

A comment from a Stags fan on Facebook:
"Brilliant away match day, went up on a supporters bus with my father-in-law and friend. Can’t recollect any segregation of the fans and we watched from one of the ends. The performance of Graham Brown was outstanding, remember seeing the Blackpool keeper applauding him on a couple of occasions during the match, memorable."

https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/report ... lfacup.htm
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:37 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Dai Jones is the goalscorer. He scored in the 4th minute from the 3rd corner of the game and in the 89th minute.

It sounded like Graham Brown in goal for the Stags had the game of his life and was clapped off by the Blackpool fans at half time and at the end.

I will guess the team formation from the listing of the players in the match report (1-11)

Graham Brown

A comment from a Stags fan on Facebook:
"Brilliant away match day, went up on a supporters bus with my father-in-law and friend. Can’t recollect any segregation of the fans and we watched from one of the ends. The performance of Graham Brown was outstanding, remember seeing the Blackpool keeper applauding him on a couple of occasions during the match, memorable."

https://www.stagsnet.net/vintage/report ... lfacup.htm

Yes it was a great match Tippy but I don’t remember the clapping by the Blackpool fans although their keeper did clap Brown. The fans we met after the game just wanted to rip our heads off and large groups of them were combing the streets for us. I think most Stags fans were in the same end of what was a pretty run down stadium.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 am

Cant wait for the meltdown in this thread seeing how Laps and Hawkins are getting on at their new clubs.. :D
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:36 am

Dai Jones was amazing that day, as were the whole team. Another good cup run , so soon after the 1969 West Ham Cup run too
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Elkesley Stag » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:11 pm

[quote="Tippy Tappy Football"]Dai Jones is the goalscorer. He scored in the 4th minute from the 3rd corner of the game and in the 89th minute.

Graham Brown

The mascot was a duck with an Orange scarf .

The Stags mascots were 6 or 7 women who wore skimpy tops and mini skirts in amber and blue . They walked around the pitch encouraging the duck to go forward .
]
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:29 pm

Elkesley Stag wrote:
Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Dai Jones is the goalscorer. He scored in the 4th minute from the 3rd corner of the game and in the 89th minute.

Graham Brown

The mascot was a duck with an Orange scarf .

The Stags mascots were 6 or 7 women who wore skimpy tops and mini skirts in amber and blue . They walked around the pitch encouraging the duck to go forward .
]

Sounds like the plot of a movie I once watched on det.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum