{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is Nigel really that good??

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is Nigel really that good??

Postby Rob » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:26 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Best manager since Dave Smith end of.

better than Ian Greaves :shock: you really happy with that statement ?

Geoff said "end of" though, so that's it bud I'm afraid ;)
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:33 pm

Rob wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
geoffhill wrote:Best manager since Dave Smith end of.

better than Ian Greaves :shock: you really happy with that statement ?

Geoff said "end of" though, so that's it bud I'm afraid ;)

“I said i was going to build a team, & i said i was going to build it around you”

can still see them both being interviewed after the Chester second leg defeat lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:42 pm

In fairness clough is like many players at our level, if he was better he’d be managing above.

Surely though, despite his faults and the questionable record in transfer windows were not going to find anyone better are we?

Like players, if clough was better he wouldn’t be managing in league 2
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:20 pm

adamstag wrote:In fairness clough is like many players at our level, if he was better he’d be managing above.

Surely though, despite his faults and the questionable record in transfer windows were not going to find anyone better are we?

If there was a willingness to move geographically I think he’d find better offers if I’m honest but he’s not that type of bloke, he seems to want to build something over a number of years rather than short-term views. Something I welcome here, he may not get everything right but we’re on a gradually upward trajectory under him.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:40 am

adamstag wrote:In fairness clough is like many players at our level, if he was better he’d be managing above.

Not sure I agree. Assuming he wants to be a league manager there aren't actually that many other clubs he could manage.
Rule out the Prem (foreign managers), half the Championship (same reason), former clubs, clubs with dodgy owners, clubs too far from the East Mids, clubs that have managers they're perfectly happy with and clubs less attractive than Mansfield (most of League 2) and that pretty much leaves no one else for him to currently manage, until vacancies come up.

I also think he's had an unlucky CV and has probably missed his chance at managing again in the Championship, but this isn't necessarily his own fault. He's probably capable of handling a Championship club with good owners and a bit of luck, which they all need. We're very lucky to have him imo.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Elkesley Stag » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:39 am

ParisStag wrote:

Not sure I agree. Assuming he wants to be a league manager there aren't actually that many other clubs he could manage.
Rule out the Prem (foreign managers), half the Championship (same reason), former clubs, clubs with dodgy owners, clubs too far from the East Mids, clubs that have managers they're perfectly happy with and clubs less attractive than Mansfield (most of League 2) and that pretty much leaves no one else for him to currently manage, until vacancies come up.

I also think he's had an unlucky CV and has probably missed his chance at managing again in the Championship, but this isn't necessarily his own fault. He's probably capable of handling a Championship club with good owners and a bit of luck, which they all need. We're very lucky to have him imo.

Also thinks he acknowledges the fact that he is lucky have the stags. Keeping his job last year during an abysmal run , being suppported and left alone to build his squad but most importantly given to time and what seems to be a free hand to develop the structure and building of the club . There are not that many clubs within travelling distance from home that offer what the club is giving the Cloughs .
Elkesley Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:32 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:I knew we would get to this point if we didn't hit the ground running.

Cloughs first half of season was to stabilise us and reduce the wage bill - he did that.

First full season was top 7 finish I assume - he did that and got us to play off final but obviously did not go our way but still was an exciting season and one so much better than the previous dross we had been served up under Coughlan and Dempster.

Second full season objectives are probably top 3 or a top 7 finish again. We've only played three league games and people are questioning if he's good enough. We haven't been outplayed by anyone yet but just been let down by defensive mistakes and players not being able to take their chances. We've also been unlucky with injuries, but some on here will try to conjure a conspiracy that Clough buys injured players on purpose, just like the 'hE oNlY pLaYs hIs MaTes' bull.

The toxicity seems to be creeping back in already.

I cannot name one club that was not in a better position after he left since1998.
.Sheff utd,- Derby county he also refused Nottm Forest i would say they are big clubs.
The right moment at the right time.
The Radfords and Sharpe got his services at the right time., 7 months later and who knows.
Fans who demand promotion are on a hiding to nothing.
We hope for promotion, the fans want it and the staff want it, problem is 23 other teams want it.
January and after will be nail biting.
Yes J_R can sleep at night the club is in good hands
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 2:37 pm

See Davide Sharpes interview he will explain it
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:53 pm

Yes Smith achieved two promotions i believe.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:42 pm

geoffhill wrote:Yes Smith achieved two promotions i believe.

No, only one for the Stags
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby robeyre » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:44 pm

part time pete wrote:

I followed every game of Smith's era. Loved every minute as only a young adult fan can. But while the almost certainty of winning was a great feeling some of the football played was patchy, partly down to pitch conditions and partly due to limited player numbers,.
Personally I would put Clough along side to just ahead of Smith on home performances as his football is more entertaining. If we can get the certainty of winning away and a least one promotion I'll put him number 1
Greaves gave us some great moments, and did similar to Clough in terms of player recruitment and team building. Just wasn't operating under the current media obsessed microscope. Personally I suspect history will look at Greaves and Clough with similar affection
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:09 pm

robeyre wrote:
part time pete wrote:

I followed every game of Smith's era. Loved every minute as only a young adult fan can. But while the almost certainty of winning was a great feeling some of the football played was patchy, partly down to pitch conditions and partly due to limited player numbers,.
Personally I would put Clough along side to just ahead of Smith on home performances as his football is more entertaining. If we can get the certainty of winning away and a least one promotion I'll put him number 1
Greaves gave us some great moments, and did similar to Clough in terms of player recruitment and team building. Just wasn't operating under the current media obsessed microscope. Personally I suspect history will look at Greaves and Clough with similar affection

Maybe it’s rose coloured glasses but I thought the football under Smith to be better. He certainly didn’t have the resources that today brings and the substitute rules certainly hampered him. He didn’t have the luxury of starting players that he knew would only last 50 minutes or so nor could he anticipate which position he would need his substitute to play in. Do you have a defender or attacker on the bench? Certainly you wouldn’t put a goal keeper there and bad luck if yours has to go off or is sent off.

The challenges then were totally different and training facilities were often the local recreation ground.

I never really rated Greaves in the same league despite the success he brought. His team was just not as exciting in my eyes but different eras are difficult to judge.

Probably your age at each stage also plays a part as I’m sure we all remember our first encounters with the stags as being the best football ever played.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:35 pm

I think our best football was played under Dearden/Watkiss. The games in the 70's under Smith, whilst entertaining because we won, I didn't think we're as exciting, possibly because of the pitches as Rob says. I wasn't a huge Greaves fan, his style of football was effective, but quite dull at times. However, he did bring rare success to the club and of course our greatest ever day so for that he is clearly a club legend. Clough has to win promotion to League 1 to be spoken of in the same terms, name alone isn't enough.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby robeyre » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:37 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
robeyre wrote:
part time pete wrote:

Maybe it’s rose coloured glasses but I thought the football under Smith to be better. He certainly didn’t have the resources that today brings and the substitute rules certainly hampered him. He didn’t have the luxury of starting players that he knew would only last 50 minutes or so nor could he anticipate which position he would need his substitute to play in. Do you have a defender or attacker on the bench? Certainly you wouldn’t put a goal keeper there and bad luck if yours has to go off or is sent off.

The challenges then were totally different and training facilities were often the local recreation ground.

I never really rated Greaves in the same league despite the success he brought. His team was just not as exciting in my eyes but different eras are difficult to judge.

Probably your age at each stage also plays a part as I’m sure we all remember our first encounters with the stags as being the best football ever played.

This must be a first.! 4 people on stagsnet not totally agreeing, but only small bit apart and no malice and equal respect for each view. I think I might even be tempted to post again. Many thanks
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum