{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Is Nigel really that good??

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Is Nigel really that good??

Postby Amber Andy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 pm

Nutty Stag wrote:Simple fact for you Bear - if you do not score more goals than the opposition you don't win matches which then means you don't get success. This season we have a record amount of season ticket holders who want to see a side that is winning games and hopefully see a promotion. Yes it's good that most of the football is good to watch but that means nothing if we don't get points on the board.
At this early part of the season it appears that NC is sticking to his guns regarding squad size and this already is having a negative impact - players playing injured, players having to play who are lacking in fitness and match practice. We are already struggling to name a full team and bench, forgive me but did we come unstuck when injuries and suspensions kicked in last season. It's plain to see that we are short of players and this needs addressing to give the club a chance.

I admit that my opinions and management haven't contributed to any promotions but my money and support have for over forty years and I don't want the club to miss out due to a lesson that we should have learned from last season.
The transfer window is still open. Wait and see.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 pm

bear 73 wrote:Oh this post bites the biscuit, every negative poster says if Clough does not sign a Forward or some say a defender we will not be promoted.
What do they know about promotion when did their opinions get Mansfield promoted.
Wrong questions wow, the media team know one mistake in their question and a sharpe reply will follow, full of facts.
Look at opinions on here after all the changes and records broken, how many are the same that questioned his ability last season.
So far our home record has been not good, but exeptionally good,
While the negatives moan this man has done evrything asked of him Sharpe said we want to be challenging at the right end of the table.
And it would take 3-4 years for the avademy to produce on a regular basis
which this club needs players from the aceademy to help our resourses.
From Bishop sreet stand to many areas the club must improve, and it all takes money.
Any gift of a million quid would get you that player by the wekend, J-C-Radford have a budget to run to.
I can see a Wembley play off final in his first full season, and his stature of seen it all before, and calmness about him when some are losing their heads.
Clough is really that good,

Wind your neck in, you're a Clough fan and we're Stags fans so big differences in opinion...
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 pm

bear 73 wrote:Oh this post bites the biscuit, every negative poster says if Clough does not sign a Forward or some say a defender we will not be promoted.
Re-read my posts i have said we would not make the top 3 and struggle to make the playoffs
What do they know about promotion when did their opinions get Mansfield promoted.
Are we not allowed share our thoughts on a message board now? Many of us were around before you & Clough and will be when he decides to move on
Wrong questions wow, the media team know one mistake in their question and a sharpe reply will follow, full of facts.
Do you truly believe NC gets asked challenging questions, ever?
Look at opinions on here after all the changes and records broken, how many are the same that questioned his ability last season.
I am not questioning his ability, but sharing an opinion that we need to strengthen the squad to improve our chances of promotion.
So far our home record has been not good, but exeptionally good,
I agree
While the negatives moan this man has done evrything asked of him Sharpe said we want to be challenging at the right end of the table.
The bar was set last year and I want to see us go one better this season and believe we need a striker and defender to do that
And it would take 3-4 years for the avademy to produce on a regular basis
which this club needs players from the aceademy to help our resourses.
only time will tell if this happens or not. We have let a few good players slip through the net due to lack of opportunity
From Bishop sreet stand to many areas the club must improve, and it all takes money.
Any gift of a million quid would get you that player by the wekend, J-C-Radford have a budget to run to.
DS has already said he expected a maximum of circa 3,000 season tickets this season. The additional revenue this brought in should be used to address the simple wins in the ground which would generate even more income. i.e. Food kiosks, turnstyles etc.
I can see a Wembley play off final in his first full season, and his stature of seen it all before, and calmness about him when some are losing their heads.
I for one are not questioning this, just his inability to bring in a solid defender and goalscorer
Clough is really that good,

Clough is good but until he delivers us a promotion he isn't very good in my eyes
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Bear

It doesn’t matter how many club and league records you break if you are still in the same league the following season. They count for nothing at all.

You correctly state that our home record was good and it certainly was if you only count November onwards, earlier season results bring it down to some extent. If you are going to play that card, you also have to accept that our away record must have been poor for us not to go up automatically.

The fans have backed the club to the hilt this season by purchasing previously unheard of numbers of season tickets. They were promised and expect improvement in the weak areas of the squad. That has not yet been delivered and if the latest interview is to be believed those promises will not be delivered in this window.

No-one is suggesting that Clough should be sacked and none of us know why we are in this situation but please don’t suggest that we shouldn’t be disappointed or indeed express that disappointment on a discussion board.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:Bear

It doesn’t matter how many club and league records you break if you are still in the same league the following season. They count for nothing at all.

You correctly state that our home record was good and it certainly was if you only count November onwards, earlier season results bring it down to some extent. If you are going to play that card, you also have to accept that our away record must have been poor for us not to go up automatically.

The fans have backed the club to the hilt this season by purchasing previously unheard of numbers of season tickets. They were promised and expect improvement in the weak areas of the squad. That has not yet been delivered and if the latest interview is to be believed those promises will not be delivered in this window.

No-one is suggesting that Clough should be sacked and none of us know why we are in this situation but please don’t suggest that we shouldn’t be disappointed or indeed express that disappointment on a discussion board.

100% agree
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:41 pm

It brings it down to second best in the division. 15 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:46 pm

The sound of a hammer hitting the nail perfectly.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:53 pm

broomo wrote:

It brings it down to second best in the division. 15 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses.

Yes but for league matches only prior to Northampton it’s won 2 lost 3 drew 3 so won 2 out of 8. So as I said prior to November not very good.

I personally don’t think it a coincidence that the upturn in home form coincided with the arrival of JJ O’Toole which highlights how weak we were in central defence at that point. That weakness hasn’t been addressed other than bringing in an untried youngster who Nigel wasn’t sure would be a regular starter at least initially. I personally believe Harbottle will be ok there and if we were sticking with 4-4-2 would be happy for him starting alongside JJ. Nigel has however stated his preference for 5-3-2 which leaves us a dependable centre back short in my humble opinion. I think Perch will struggle with injuries this year as he’s already broken down and isn’t getting any younger thus can only be relied on as cover.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 am

"Proper stags fan" ought to be added to the swear filter

Seems to be a constant theme from bear , this along with rewriting our history...

I get he supports the manager and players , regardless of any result or shortfalls and that's fine , a little weird but fine..

The constant snipeing though is bordering on trolling and if it was from any other poster it would have been called out before now....
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:"Proper stags fan" ought to be added to the swear filter

Seems to be a constant theme from bear , this along with rewriting our history...

I get he supports the manager and players , regardless of any result or shortfalls and that's fine , a little weird but fine..

The constant snipeing though is bordering on trolling and if it was from any other poster it would have been called out before now....

I dont re write history its their for all to see,
proper stags fan i aint that childish i support Mansfield Town.
Supporting the Manager and players being weird, is were we differ and to say its bordering on trolling.
And you want it called out....
Its not football related so it must be a joke
Supporting a Manager and players when having a difficult time is weird , Ha Ha its called support, and how the players appreciated it last season
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:39 pm

Read it again, bear....

I bet you have not once in all the many many "days" you've been following Nigel Clough and our Club have you ever disagreed with any of his team selections , signings, lack of signings , substitutions or post match interviews... That is weird...

The snipeing about who is a proper fan and who is not is the problem I have...

I will not and will never be told by anyone, never mind a supporter of the manager alone if I'm a "proper fan" or not.....
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:03 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Read it again, bear....

I bet you have not once in all the many many "days" you've been following Nigel Clough and our Club have you ever disagreed with any of his team selections , signings, lack of signings , substitutions or post match interviews... That is weird...

I will not and will never be told by anyone, never mind a supporter of the manager alone if I'm a "proper fan" or not.....

Has anyone actually defined what the criteria is to be labelled a "proper fan"? I'd love to know if I'm worthy of said title myself :lol:
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Captain Cunno » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:25 pm

I think you maybe had to have gone to York away for free in the Setanta shield...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:42 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I think you maybe had to have gone to York away for free in the Setanta shield...

Exclusive club then :cry: hope someone else is able to open up some more criteria that I might be able to meet. Would love to know how it feels to be a 'proper fan'
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:56 pm

If you've ever had a pint before a game with the Major
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:00 pm

I would say that I can’t believe the discussion on here but it’s stagsnet. Is Nigel really that good? How good is that good? Pep Guardiola, no. One of the best managers in league 2? Probably. So depends on what your demanding.

Has he been successful elsewhere? Yes. Will he be successful here, maybe. We’re definitely in a better position than when he came. Another case of be careful of what you wish for.

Personally I’d want a few more in if we’re loaning out the likes of Gale and Law. Firstly we’re struggling with injuries already and secondly we’re already seeing the odd issue to fix. Do it now or we’ll be needing by January.
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:16 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:If you've ever had a pint before a game with the Major

Does giving him a lift to the game at Weymouth in the conference count. :lol:
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:17 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I think you maybe had to have gone to York away for free in the Setanta shield...

I thought I had to pay on the SSA bus, but I think we got free tickets in their supporters bar.

Official away attendance 44, but that included some York fans who went into the away end for the game because they wanted to see York play by watching games on all four sides of Bootham Crescent.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby bear 73 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Read it again, bear....

What information do i have, on the opposition, players with knocks, players private problems, access to training, and advice from coaches and assistant manager.
With out colecting relivant information i cannot have any input on team selection or formations.
Signings i know his recoed is outstanding for low budget players, 9 have become internationals.
Again on substitutions no info to work with, only my opinion watching the game, Me and Clough are a million miles apart on football knowledge.
Post match interviews, he tells me were the problems lie.
Moving onto proper fan nothing to do with me, you pay your money and watch the game,
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 pm

bear 73 wrote:Moving onto proper fan nothing to do with me, you pay your money and watch the game,

Nothing to do with you!!!

Your the one who uses the phrase at least twice a week against “proper thick and thin fans” every time someone has the temerity to question anything about Clough.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 pm

:shock: :shock: Its opened my eyes anyway , people who support managers

;) Do these exist at other clubs :?: :lol: :lol: :?:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:36 pm

Only Derby, Sheff Utd, Burton & us
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 pm

Suttonian wrote:Only Derby, Sheff Utd, Burton & us

:lol: :lol: :lol:
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::shock: :shock: Its opened my eyes anyway , people who support managers

;) Do these exist at other clubs :?: :lol: :lol: :?:

i guess we’ve never had to think about it before, as who would have supported our ex Managers?

Dave Smith, Ian Greaves maybe but as you say i’ve never heard of it before
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Walton Stag » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:54 pm

Big yella wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Moving onto proper fan nothing to do with me, you pay your money and watch the game,

Nothing to do with you!!!

Your the one who uses the phrase at least twice a week against “proper thick and thin fans” every time someone has the temerity to question anything about Clough.

It’s “You’re”

Just saying.
Walton Stag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum