{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:14 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 pm

I think this video shows it wasn't the worst penalty from McLaughlin, but was a quite superlative save

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:07 am

Great penalty, great save, but even I can tell which way he's shaping to put that, he may as well have sent him a text telling him.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:13 am

Marky Mark wrote:Great penalty, great save, but even I can tell which way he's shaping to put that, he may as well have sent him a text telling him.

How can it be a great penalty if you are saying he broadcast where he was going to put it, and then it's saved?
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:19 am

scotsstag wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:Great penalty, great save, but even I can tell which way he's shaping to put that, he may as well have sent him a text telling him.

How can it be a great penalty if you are saying he broadcast where he was going to put it, and then it's saved?

Because the placement of the shot in itself is a good one - if the keeper had gone the other way then we'd all be saying 'great pen, you're not stopping those'. The problem is in that he's telegraphed to the keeper which side he's going to put it so cut the options for the keeper down to just height.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:55 am

Sounds like Oates had an excellent game, although falling short on the finishing prowess side.

I know that he's paid for finishing, above all, but perhaps with a bit of encouragement he can turn good play into goals. Stags strikers over recent seasons all seem to suffer from nervousness in front of goal, rushing and snatching at chances when a cool head is required. I'd get all the forward players at the training ground all day every day just passing the ball into the net from various positions.

Hopefully Nigel will focus on the positive side of Oates' performance rather than hint that he'd like to replace him.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:27 am

A 20 goal striker can only score in a maximum of 20 games. We've 43 more to play.

Similar with clean sheets. We kept the ninth most clean sheets in the league last season with 15. Teams that are promoted mostly have around 18-22 of them. There will be exceptions to that, obviously, but some seasons no team broke 20 clean sheets. So say we want 20 clean sheets that's again only 20 games where we don't concede a single goal. So even a good defence will concede at the very least 26 goals.

So there is a case for both a striker and a defender. We've 3 strikers out (well bowery is a returning from suspension) we need to give them a run of games. Personally I'd keep Swan and Oates for the next game. We can't develop an understanding if we chop and change all the time. These understandings increase the likelihood of goals.

That back 5 is probably our best back 5. Perch can come in but who after that? Wallace, but he played midfield and was dubbed backup to macca (didn't replace him when he got injured) and backup centre back (didn't replace Hawkins when he could have gone up front when oates was injured) so I'm not sure he can be counted?
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum