{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Message to Nigel

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Message to Nigel

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:52 pm

scotsstag wrote:Says who??
You?

It's obvious. The vast majority of Stags fans know NC is the best manager we've had in ages.

This thread is nonsensical.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
You?

It's obvious. The vast majority of Stags fans know NC is the best manager we've had in ages.

Yes he is, but where exactly does BigYella say he isn't ????
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:06 pm

People need to come to terms on how Nigel works as a manager.

Nigel’s main role is a man/people manager rather than football manager.

He runs a team of only 19 first team outfield players. What he does not want is players kicking up a fuss because they are sitting in the stands because they are not even getting on the bench.

Nigel believes a happy bunch of players play better and get better results on the pitch.

Nigel only signs players if they fit in with the group already here and they are technically better than the player who they will replace.

With regard to team selection Nigel’s philosophy is that he has a pecking order of his players. His best players are top of his list and his lesser players lower down the pecking order.

When picking a team for a game he names the top ten outfield players on his pecking order that are available and not injured.

He then gets these ten names and puts them in what he thinks are the best position to get a win. He only signs players that can play at least two different or possible more different positions.

Until fans accept this position with Nigel’s philosophy then fans are going to keep scratching their heads with team selection.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby The One » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:29 pm

part time pete wrote:People need to come to terms on how Nigel works as a manager.

Nigel’s main role is a man/people manager rather than football manager.

He runs a team of only 19 first team outfield players. What he does not want is players kicking up a fuss because they are sitting in the stands because they are not even getting on the bench.

Nigel believes a happy bunch of players play better and get better results on the pitch.

Nigel only signs players if they fit in with the group already here and they are technically better than the player who they will replace.

With regard to team selection Nigel’s philosophy is that he has a pecking order of his players. His best players are top of his list and his lesser players lower down the pecking order.

When picking a team for a game he names the top ten outfield players on his pecking order that are available and not injured.

He then gets these ten names and puts them in what he thinks are the best position to get a win. He only signs players that can play at least two different or possible more different positions.

Until fans accept this position with Nigel’s philosophy then fans are going to keep scratching their heads with team selection.

Good post
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:44 pm

So basically nigel clough isn't a football manager he's HR. He essentially rates players like on fifa games and then picks the 10 highest numbers and then starts at the top of the list and puts them in their strongest position.Once he gets to the bottom of the list and has 3 or 4 players left whose strongest position is already taken just gets chucked in a random other position that is spare?

Do we have like a interview or something confirming that he builds/selects his teams like this? It's very strange to have just one "masterlist of overall ability". We were told he gives youth a good chance. How can youth possibly be given a good chance on that method?

I would have thought he'd have a list of players but for each position and/or role and then pick the best player available for each spot on the field of the respective list.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Stagdale » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:58 pm

I thought a fan’s message board was to give fans a forum to express their views of their team.

I think the flack ows has received is ridiculous. He is expressing his opinion on how he sees the team can be improved and I must say I agree with him 100%. Of course Nigel has improved our team but we desperately need a mobile experienced CH and ideally a proven goal scorer. That is undoubtedly what we need but whether we will achieve this is another matter.

Nigel should not be above fair criticism. We don’t all wear rose coloured spectacles when talking about Nigel unlike two regular posters on this site. For example Hawkins made a massive difference when he played up front second half on Tuesday but why did Nigel take him off? After he was subbed we lost the momentum.

Nigel has done a very good job so far but has made mistakes which some will not acknowledge. But all managers make errors!!

By the way ows can you remember the big camel coloured coat Raich Carter used to wear?
Stagdale
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:09 am

Stagdale wrote:I thought a fan’s message board was to give fans a forum to express their views of their team.

I think the flack ows has received is ridiculous. He is expressing his opinion on how he sees the team can be improved and I must say I agree with him 100%. Of course Nigel has improved our team but we desperately need a mobile experienced CH and ideally a proven goal scorer. That is undoubtedly what we need but whether we will achieve this is another matter.

Nigel should not be above fair criticism. We don’t all wear rose coloured spectacles when talking about Nigel unlike two regular posters on this site. For example Hawkins made a massive difference when he played up front second half on Tuesday but why did Nigel take him off? After he was subbed we lost the momentum.

Nigel has done a very good job so far but has made mistakes which some will not acknowledge. But all managers make errors!!

By the way ows can you remember the big camel coloured coat Raich Carter used to wear?
I respectfully suggest you read it again. It reads like a school report. My opinion it is totally inappropriate after three games.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:53 am

Perhaps some are converting comments about squad depth and make up into complaints about the manager and taking things too literally.

I’m sure that most if not all posters on here think that Nigel is the man for the job. Look back to last October and just about everyone who thinks we need another centre half, defended Nigel when others on here were calling for his head. They were correct then as last season proved so why shouldn’t they hold valid opinions this year?

I haven’t read anyone ranting on about 4-4-2 in this debate nor calling out tactics in respect of shape or formation, it’s mainly about personnel and their playing positions.

Let’s not escalate this debate and pretend it’s a Nigel out thread as that clearly isn’t the case.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:13 am

Amber Andy wrote:
You?

And I have never said anything different, in fact I 100% agree, I don’t however believe that NC is beyond criticism like broomo does. According to him Clough NEVER gets a team selection wrong, NEVER gets tactic’s wrong, NEVER gets a substitution wrong, blah blah blah (to use his phrase).

This is a fan’s forum to discuss all things Stags, and guess what, varying opinions about the managers decision’s will be discussed and a blanket defence of every choice he makes, like I have already said is laughable.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:10 am

Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

And I have never said anything different, in fact I 100% agree, I don’t however believe that NC is beyond criticism like broomo does. According to him Clough NEVER gets a team selection wrong, NEVER gets tactic’s wrong, NEVER gets a substitution wrong, blah blah blah (to use his phrase).

This is a fan’s forum to discuss all things Stags, and guess what, varying opinions about the managers decision’s will be discussed and a blanket defence of every choice he makes, like I have already said is laughable.
I have no intention of getting involved with your spat with broomo. I'm quite happy for you two to slug it out.

My point is, and as always has been, that this thread is pointless and unhelpful.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:28 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

I have no intention of getting involved with your spat with broomo. I'm quite happy for you two to slug it out.

My point is, and as always has been, that this thread is pointless and unhelpful.

My final word, my post was an opinion which had been echoed by many and equally derided by others. The post is not pointless or unhelpful, it's forum chat. The post supports Nigel Clough as our manager but points out the side isn't the finished article and that in MY opinion Bowery and Clarke will never be centre backs and a new mobile centre back is the least we need.

Nigel and others may well disagree, that's fine.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

There is no spat from my side. Just Yella posting cheap digs about Saint Nigel whenever he can.

I've not once said Nigel doesn't make mistakes, just that I prefer not to get involved in criticising when I don't know enough to make that judgement and there's plenty of others who will criticise. It's not my style.

He's clearly got more than a bee in his bonnet for whatever reason is in his head.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 am

Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

Why do you care so much? You're obsessed with broomo.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Big yella » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:46 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

No, just can’t abide us all being told we all must be wrong because he once stole off the Clough’s and now feels the compulsion to tell the world and his grandma they are idiots for daring to question NC’s choice of tie.
Cause youth’s a mask, and it don’t last.
Live it long and live it fast.
Big yella
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:02 am

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

No, just can’t abide us all being told we all must be wrong because he once stole off the Clough’s and now feels the compulsion to tell the world and his grandma they are idiots for daring to question NC’s choice of tie.

All this over a game of football eh :roll:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:11 am

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

Should I reply the way I would like and get myself banned or should I just calmly ask if you feel big and clever now?

His taste in ties when I knew him was pretty good, a bit conservative for my liking but not worth criticising him over.

Still, dip your bread.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby m1cksut » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:18 am

bear 73 wrote:I came across a post the other day posted last season, giving Clough a Message.
I feel for all our increasd ticket holders given False hope, with our current Manager living of his Name.
We had a brilliant season took us all the way to Wmbley 2021/22.
Now 2022/23 our season tickets have broken all known records, we sit 1 point outside the play offs after 2 league games.

werent we nearly top of the league after two games last season?
my one regret is...i have no regrets!
m1cksut
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:50 am

m1cksut wrote:
bear 73 wrote:I came across a post the other day posted last season, giving Clough a Message.
I feel for all our increasd ticket holders given False hope, with our current Manager living of his Name.
We had a brilliant season took us all the way to Wmbley 2021/22.
Now 2022/23 our season tickets have broken all known records, we sit 1 point outside the play offs after 2 league games.

werent we nearly top of the league after two games last season?

;) He means this season , yes where joint top after 2 games last season.
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:09 am

gazza1988 wrote:So basically nigel clough isn't a football manager he's HR. He essentially rates players like on fifa games and then picks the 10 highest numbers and then starts at the top of the list and puts them in their strongest position.Once he gets to the bottom of the list and has 3 or 4 players left whose strongest position is already taken just gets chucked in a random other position that is spare?

Do we have like a interview or something confirming that he builds/selects his teams like this? It's very strange to have just one "masterlist of overall ability". We were told he gives youth a good chance. How can youth possibly be given a good chance on that method?

I would have thought he'd have a list of players but for each position and/or role and then pick the best player available for each spot on the field of the respective list.

The order of his list changes regularly because of the fitness of the players.

Nigel regularly states that a player was not fit to start but was ok to be on the bench and would have started if 100% fit.

Youth are given a chance by being in and around the squad and don’t mind missing out on the 18 man squad and hence causing trouble. Youth are given a chance if we have a long injury list or in papa john cup games. If youth players improve then they go up the pecking order list.

Nigel does not buy one trick ponies they have to be able to play more than one position.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:40 am

Subject: Message to Nigel

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:And I have never said anything different, in fact I 100% agree, I don’t however believe that NC is beyond criticism like broomo does. According to him Clough NEVER gets a team selection wrong, NEVER gets tactic’s wrong, NEVER gets a substitution wrong, blah blah blah (to use his phrase).

this is at least the 4th or 5th time we've had to post this, but again ...

users who continue to post about other users are risking being removed from the site. We've had enough.

Don't come complaining if it turns out to be you.

And you don't need to argue with this either!
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:58 am

this is turning into my fav thread of the summer, there is nothing wrong with discussion & debate, be a pretty boring world if we all agreed.

interesting how some interpret this, bottom line we all want a Stags win come 5 o’clock Saturday
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:08 pm

Stagdale wrote:I thought a fan’s message board was to give fans a forum to express their views of their team.

And your coaching qualifications? I’m happy with where we are and the Manager. A view I’m also entitled to.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:11 pm

Big yella wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

On reflection, for me personally, that's a step too far.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Gruff » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:15 pm

Hard to believe we made the playoff finals last year, have pretty much the same squad but a few areas of improvement (Boateng, Pym, Harbottle etc.) and because we haven't secured a Champions League place after 2 league games, it seems appropriate to criticise the manager, squad and transfers.

It's all about opinion, and I appreciate that, but.... seriously??
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:48 pm

oldweststander wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Big yella wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
You?

My final word, my post was an opinion which had been echoed by many and equally derided by others. The post is not pointless or unhelpful, it's forum chat. The post supports Nigel Clough as our manager but points out the side isn't the finished article and that in MY opinion Bowery and Clarke will never be centre backs and a new mobile centre back is the least we need.

Nigel and others may well disagree, that's fine.
You have got me puzzled OWS. I have read your post again. Which bit is supporting NC ? Your post reads like a school report. Basically it is telling NC he is signing the wrong players. It reads as though je has signed misfits. You could have praised him for signing two excellent midfield players. In fact you don't mention how strong our midfield is ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum